Kim Jung Hoon covers basic FH stroke fundamentals - Intro

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Xu xin has a great forehand! It is my own opinion, Im a coach for young players and find theese kind of videos very interesting! Thank you btw! I agree that you need to use your body and rotation to get power. I believe that you shold hit the ball in front of you to be able to get the power from the body behind the ball. Like you are charging power from the body that unleashes when you hit the ball. If you hit at the side its hard to unleash it and i also thinks its much harder to control the ball. But i think you misunderstand me, i do not mean to much in front of the body. Then you will get no power, its lika hitting someone with an extended arm. I think people talk about hitting the ball in a triangle or in the power pocket. Maybe it is better to hit on the side if your recovery will get faster like you say! i do not know! :)

If you have video of your swing or the swing of someone that demonstrates what you are talking about, please post it. He is hitting the ball with good power where his body is rotating. How you backswing might affect that for you. But we have video of him. We just have words from you. Maybe with you in camera, you may not be hitting the ball the way you think you do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think his stroke is correct and i try to do the same. almost no diffrent, no diffrent in stroke or rotation just hit the ball a little more in front of the body. I do agree that it is very hard to discuss technique with words, but i am not going to start posting videos of me. Then i need to start training alot more haha :) I think alot of players are hitting more in front of the body than the guy in the video, but maybe its just me that need to watch it again :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Not many pro players are willing to spend time to show us techniques free on the internet. I just watch an other 3 clips from Kim Jung Hoon about FH strokes (8.2, 9.1 and 9.2). Even I don't understand Korean, I could figure out his message about the ready position, compressing the core and release the arm at the right moment to gain maximum power for the forehand stroke. We all know about turning the body to hit the forehand but compress the core and release it at the right time is an other matter. These are golden tips for beginners and intermediate players.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is a screen shot from his club's page showing the coaching fees.

You get basic unlimited play and 2x a week lessons (8 in one month) from a coach who was an ex-junior champ, you are looking at USD 165 for the whole month. You get the lessons from KJH himself, it is USD 230.

Sounds pretty damn reasonable to me, seeing that many coaches in USA who are 1-2 levels below that level charge 60-80 USD an hour......

Capture.JPG

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I know this is an old thread, but amazingly, the vid for the thread on his vid is still on youtube. Often, the vids disappear and when anyone looks at one of these Kim Jung Hoon threads I make explaining something KJH does in a vid, you don't see the vid once it is off youtube and my thread then becomes kinda useless.

So... have at it and watch the vid again while it is still on U-Tube.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Latej,

KJH explains a way to crush a ball straight down the line (BH of opponent of same hand) from your FH corner area that allows you to hit with full power and still keep consistency there.

The key to doing the shot this way really takes advantage of the way he explains the command of strike zone. It is pretty much a little more knee/waist and shoulder turn and still striking the ball in hte middle of strike zone right in front of your chest, but since you have rotated/pivoted the strike zone backwards, at impact, you are now facing that short table down the line with your bat.

Opponents have a real hard time seing this shot coming, unless they just know your tendency given the ball and their position.

On the converse, he also shows how to suddenly whip it cross corner when opponent thinks you are setup to crush it down the short side of table... it is just a matter of your free hand pulling towards yourself horizontally, like you are pulling the cord to start a small engine...this whips your shoulders around and a little waist helps... so now your impact center of strike zone is suddenly facing cross court. Opponents also have a hard time with this shot if you sell them. There is actually more spin and power on this as there is shoulder whip helping out here.

I say both of those shot situations, because the way KJH explains his base FH is also adaptable to hit full power full control (same control as base shot same power) on these variations where people usually lose power or lose consistency.

Knowing what/how KJH explains really helped me instinctively hit suddenly to those two locations when I just think "Now" and it happens.

I do not normally use KJH kind of FH, my FH is a little longer and I do not judge the ball to strike zone as well as I should.

If you see his vids on BH close to the table, he talks about exploiting space and it is also intruiging.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Hi Latej,

KJH explains a way to crush a ball straight down the line (BH of opponent of same hand) from your FH corner area that allows you to hit with full power and still keep consistency there.

Hi Der,

I've somewhat lost this thread... hrmmm.

The key to doing the shot this way really takes advantage of the way he explains the command of strike zone. It is pretty much a little more knee/waist and shoulder turn and still striking the ball in hte middle of strike zone right in front of your chest, but since you have rotated/pivoted the strike zone backwards, at impact, you are now facing that short table down the line with your bat.

Opponents have a real hard time seing this shot coming, unless they just know your tendency given the ball and their position.

I've checked this. Let's say I try to play max spin againt backspin cross-court, couple of balls, and then I decide to play one down the line. I noticed I often miss, because the naive approach of doing it by wrist doesn't work reliably in max speed/spin for me. It works well in lower speed, but not if you try to whip it with max speed full body to achive max spin. But if I rotate the zone it works...

On the converse, he also shows how to suddenly whip it cross corner when opponent thinks you are setup to crush it down the short side of table... it is just a matter of your free hand pulling towards yourself horizontally, like you are pulling the cord to start a small engine...this whips your shoulders around and a little waist helps... so now your impact center of strike zone is suddenly facing cross court. Opponents also have a hard time with this shot if you sell them. There is actually more spin and power on this as there is shoulder whip helping out here.

The other one, when rotated more, and trying to compensate by rotating more in forward motion, to get it cross court, I'm yet to check.

I say both of those shot situations, because the way KJH explains his base FH is also adaptable to hit full power full control (same control as base shot same power) on these variations where people usually lose power or lose consistency.

Knowing what/how KJH explains really helped me instinctively hit suddenly to those two locations when I just think "Now" and it happens.

I do not normally use KJH kind of FH, my FH is a little longer and I do not judge the ball to strike zone as well as I should.

I remember when I watched that video some time ago I disagreed with some points, FH related. I guess that must have been my motivation to post Ma Long's instructional...

If you see his vids on BH close to the table, he talks about exploiting space and it is also intruiging.

I'm rereading the thread...