Chinese Domination

This user has no status.
lets talk about you MR OP
How old are you
How many hours do you train

I am 14 and I train for about 3 hours everyday on specific TT techniques. You know you don't need to explain your lectures on this post, the question after all was what can the English people can do to improve.

Reactions: doraemon and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
But LGL did do the same serves over and over again for hours :)

I guess in the west, what we need is our kids/juniors to have is self discipline.
If the coach or adult is not around, are they mature enough to self discipline themselves

My 14 year student has become more mature lately.
She is doing her own physicals (2 to 3 hours every day) and coming to ask me questions about it. She even just told me she can now do 18 double skips in a row - I am impressed.
The "lazy" one which I mentioned above is not my student but I can tell you she hasn't touch the bat in 2 months (since season ended) and if there was physical training, she somehow disappears to the bathroom very regularly.

I agree life is about enjoyment, but as a sport athletes, training is tough, its hard work, it is pain, it is long hours, it is sacrifices.

I just watched the movie "Greater", about Brandon Burlsworth.
I guess that is what I am talking about.

We lack that in today's youth.
They only want enjoyment by sitting on the couch, with junk foods and ipads/smart phones

well
in a translated match from jagged translates he said that he didnt practice serves almost not at all. certainly not for hours cause he didnt have to

This user has no status.
I know that your post was meant to enrage and elicit hyper-sensitive responses but let's be calm and present some facts:
As much as you criticise English TT, you do realise that from a base of about 20k players and no professional league, England reached the quarter finals at the TT World team championship.

Great Post! Just a small correction, they reached the Semi Finals and lost to Japan :) :)

Reactions: Tinykin and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I am 14 and I train for about 3 hours everyday on specific TT techniques.

That's a pretty good start. What you now should do is to try to visualize yourself realistically challenging your country's top players and then work towards that goal. I'll explain why, if you keep on reading...
[Emoji6]
You know you don't need to explain your lectures on this post, the question after all was what can the English people can do to improve.

Tony's answer was short but precise.

English people is already improving......

I think guys like Eli Baraty are definitely on the right path and from what i see they could definitely get a bit more support for their good work.

I also like the thought of raising the level of basement players and the general public TT understanding.
IIRC then this is at least one of the reasons that has made Sweden so succesful in the past.
Many people mostly think of Waldner and sometimes Persson, but swedish TT has had many good players like Carlsson, Lindh, Appelgren and many more, all competing nearly at the same level. That has been letting everyone of them grow.
So if we want to learn from that, it would be essential to have a number of players that can challenge your country's best players. Three top-players can't do it on their own. They need to be seriously challenged by younger upcoming players.

English Tabletennis has already created a BIG buzz. I mean a few million views on a TT-livestream is something that has broken records and is what many nations, including Germany, only could be dreaming of.

IMHO it is now necessary, to keep that buzz alive and that isn't that easy at all, but surely can be done.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Well thanks for the advice and one more thing. What types of serves should I use in the upcoming tournaments?

the types of serves eacn and different opponent cant handle and if he can handle them the ones that give you even the slightest of advantage. there is no answer to that you will have to figure it out during the game

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well thanks for the advice and one more thing. What types of serves should I use in the upcoming tournaments?

I think TTFrenzy has given the ultimate answer already.
Neither we have seen you play, nor your possible opponents.
All i know is that EVERY person has his weaknesses, some more obvious others not so much, it's up to you to find them. Some might struggle with short sidespin serves others with long no-spin serves.
It is absolutely impossible to give some general advice here, except what TTFrenzy's written:

the types of serves each and different opponent cant handle and if he can handle them the ones that give you even the slightest of advantage. there is no answer to that you will have to figure it out during the game

This user has no status.
I think TTFrenzy has given the ultimate answer already.
Neither we have seen you play, nor your possible opponents.
All i know is that EVERY person has his weaknesses, some more obvious others not so much, it's up to you to find them. Some might struggle with short sidespin serves others with long no-spin serves.
It is absolutely impossible to give some general advice here, except what TTFrenzy's written:

Yeah you do have a point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
But LGL did do the same serves over and over again for hours :)

I guess in the west, what we need is our kids/juniors to have is self discipline.
If the coach or adult is not around, are they mature enough to self discipline themselves

My 14 year student has become more mature lately.
She is doing her own physicals (2 to 3 hours every day) and coming to ask me questions about it. She even just told me she can now do 18 double skips in a row - I am impressed.
The "lazy" one which I mentioned above is not my student but I can tell you she hasn't touch the bat in 2 months (since season ended) and if there was physical training, she somehow disappears to the bathroom very regularly.

I agree life is about enjoyment, but as a sport athletes, training is tough, its hard work, it is pain, it is long hours, it is sacrifices.

I just watched the movie "Greater", about Brandon Burlsworth.
I guess that is what I am talking about.

We lack that in today's youth.
They only want enjoyment by sitting on the couch, with junk foods and ipads/smart phones

Thats simply not true, I work together with over 100 kids and young man, I play table tennis with many other kids and on different way I know another kids. I think I directly have to do with over 200 people between age 6 till 18. And I know 200 other people in that age. And we live in Germany, so we live ''in the west''.
Some of these kids are lazy and unmotivated, thats true, but its an absolute minority. The most kids I know are motivated in school and at least one hobby they made. Table tennist, football, tennis, dancing, and so on. Maybe no one of them will be a profession athlete, but they give their best in this hobby and in school what of cuz is more important.
And its not important how succesfull they are in their hobby, that they try their best and stay fair is the best what u can do. And I am working into a youth center in a worse part of my town and althsough many of them have no or very less role modals in their family, they try the best, cuz of internal motivation. Their life in not characterized by ''sitting on the couch, with junk foods and ipads/smart phones"
Thats why Its a pity that people to often use generalisations, cuz to generize things is never fair for the most people and only very seldom tells the truth.
Of cuz there are lazy guys in the west, lazy people all over the world exists, also in Asia, and we are talking about children. In my opinion children should have their enjoyment, everyone needs thatm especially kids.
And by the way, many tests have proved that kids dont learn best with hard coaching and pressure, the best way kids are learning something is on their own way by trying things out, and making own experiences. Adults, teacher, educator, coaches and so on are important to create a good environment for it, but ideally the child takes over the learning itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
To be fair I think tony is mostly describing the "west" phenomenon where many children and adults prefer to be couch potatoes playing games on the net/watching movies/series and not being active with their lives.

Pc games are fine and TT is fine as long as you dont neglect your personal life whatever that means. job/girlfriend/friends and being healthy. This phenomenon is also happening in korea and japan, especially japan where the people are almost bonded with technology. robots simulations etc etc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
To be fair I think tony is mostly describing the "west" phenomenon where many children and adults prefer to be couch potatoes playing games on the net/watching movies/series and not being active with their lives.

Pc games are fine and TT is fine as long as you dont neglect your personal life whatever that means. job/girlfriend/friends and being healthy. This phenomenon is also happening in korea and japan, especially japan where the people are almost bonded with technology. robots simulations etc etc

:)
Absolutely

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
But it depends on the individual person how he lives his life. So its no west phenomenon to sit on the couch and only play computer games and watch films. This exists all over the world and also everywhere are people who do a lot of things actively and are motivated in a lot of things.

Reactions: TTFrenzy