Please help me decide

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Hi to all TTD members, first of all, thank you for taking your time to view my thread (this is my first thread on this site).

I really need some advice on my equipment. I have been using a Viscaria for the past few weeks and I feel that it has too little dwell time on my forehand, on my backhand i really like looping with it (like the crisp feel of koto).

My playing style is close AND far away from the table and so I am having a hard time deciding... I am particularly interested in the ZLF series, DHS W968 (long 5 national) and a Viscaria old tag i series.
I know you probably think that I am some snobby rich kid, but I use the money I get in tournaments to pay for my equipment and lessons.

I have been playing for 6 years and at an average of 4-6 times a week (at least 2 hrs every day). I have a mix of Japanese and Chinese style; by this I mean that I like to block and counter attack, and also, I have a full arm Chinese loop. I play like Tomokazu Harimoto, but obviously worse, however, I tend to loop more. I am using tenergy 05 for FH and 80 for my BH, I will eventually change to hurricane 3 for my fh when my coach tells me to do so. I know that it's a long shot, but I really hope to participate in international tournaments this year, I'm just really passionate about this sport!

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Far away from table ZLF probably will be kind of slow for you considering what you wrote above.

If you are ok with Viscaria speed and just need a bit more dwell maybe you can try to find M.Maze off or buy new Freitas which is similar to Maze.

Or another option if you like more woody feeling you can check it out butterfly innerforce alc (layer or alc S) which is similar to HL5 in construction.

BTW why your coach is not advising you what blade you should use now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shuki and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Would a Viscaria i series be drastically different to a Viscaria q series? I know that all blades play and feel differently considering these things are made of wood, but I heard that older viscaria's have a relatively softer feel, does this mean that there is more dwell time?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I would also like to say that I only play with 40+ balls... in this aspect I feel as if Viscaria i series is a no and that hurricane long 5 is a yes? I was also considering the Apolonia ZLC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Thank you, I dont care if the blade is a little slower than the Viscaria, right now, I just care about the feel and dwell...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I know this sounds extremely stupid, but my coach just left to Korea and now I have gotten a new Chinese coach who speaks no English...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Will the Apolonia and mizutani blades have more dwell than the viscaria? Also, will it play well with hurricane rubbers? Thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Has anyone have any experience with the innerforce layer zlf? Would the DHS W968 (long 5) not be a good fit for my style?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There must be lots of different blades where you train. Only way to know what you like it to tty tnem. Older Viscaria is not a guarantee, and expensive and hard to find. Trust me, tnis I know! H and I series are nice but nobody wants to sell their's.

I wasted a lot of money on blades recommended by people on the internet that i didnt like.

Maybe a rubber change is easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Will the Apolonia and mizutani blades have more dwell than the viscaria? Also, will it play well with hurricane rubbers? Thank you.

The guys who are making a recommendation of changing rubbers are making a decent point.

The three blades I recommended all have a Limba top ply which is softer than Koto and it should give a little extra dwell time. But the speeds of those blades are pretty close to the speed of the Viscaria.

The JM ZLC has one ply of Limba over the ZLC ply. And the Apolonia is an Innerforce ZLC so it has 2 plies of Limba and then it has the ZLC layer. So the Apolonia should have more dwell time and more wood feel than the other blades. It will be slower with more control on soft touch play and the ZLC will kick in when you swing bigger and so, on full strokes it should be pretty close to as fast as the JM ZLC.

The Freitas blade has a Limba top ply with ALC so it should be a tiny bit slower than the Viscaria and have more dwell time.

But as has also been said, the best way to research what you would like to use is to get everyone and anyone you can to let you try their equipment.