Please help me decide

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
No, not just username, but I was too tired yesterday to point out other red flags (like 'using prize money to pay for equipment and coaching', together with interesting choice of home country).

Exactly. Someone who's been playing for 6 years and winning enough prize money in tournaments to pay for coaching and new equipment will not be asking on any forum whether to go with Viscaria Old tag i series or HL5 national. I'd love to know where is this promised land the OP hails from.

Full points for imagination though.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
He is relentless.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Hi Baal, I hope I'm not bothering you, but is there a drastic difference between the Viscaria i and h series? Also, could you please compare those blades to the Viscaria q series?

Reactions: ssami992
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Also, if you think that I'm a troll; fortunately, I am not... But I do see why you might think so, considering the fact that I haven't listed my actual country or name. I have already told you my age and if I told you my country it would be pretty obvious to know who I was, as I am the only 14 year old in the national team. Sorry, if you thought I was a time waster; but I seriously don't think a troll would write so much and I don't see the point in trolling you guys, I just want some advice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I really should have written all my posts in one reply...

To UpsideDownCarl, could you please tell me if there was a drastic difference between the speed of the timo boll zlf, korbel and the Viscaria or any similar of the kind? I feel frustrated as I find my Viscaria to be excellent in mid-far distance yet all my full arm strokes go out in short play. I tried my friends limba blades and have concluded that I prefer koto.
The reason I picked zlf is because I really want to develop and learn the full strokes... I also chose the long 5 even though it's limba, because it is said to have a hard feel, but would it have more dwell time than the Viscaria? I'm sorry my reply is so jumbled, I have to go to dinner soon. If you made it to the end you are amazing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Korbel not too similar to the other two: Limba top ply with Limba under that. And a decent amount slower. TB ZLF should be a little slower than Viscaria. But not much and it should have a little more dwell. But they are not too different.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Hi Carl, if the viscaria's speed was 90/100. What would you rate the TB ZLF? If I buy it, then I'd probably go for the rate range of 91-93 grams...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
My Viscaria is 87.5 grams. Carl, what would the speed be for a TB ZLF from far away from the table? If a Viscaria is 90/100, what would you rate the ZLF? Also, why don't most pros use ZLF blades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My Viscaria is 87.5 grams. Carl, what would the speed be for a TB ZLF from far away from the table? If a Viscaria is 90/100, what would you rate the ZLF? Also, why don't most pros use ZLF blades?

I have kinda told you before that this is not how blades work and that this path is going to hurt your table tennis in the long term.

Most pro males started out with 5 ply blades or a blade used by a pro they admired and just train with it. If they determine that on their fast shots, they need something faster, or on their touch shots, they need something slower they get it something else, but usually after a prolonged period of training - it is usually in response to a change to balls etc. But because they are pros, they get a lot of blades to test and pick the ones they like. A few of them, Applonia comes to mind, used ZLF blades in the cell ball era, but with the plastic ball being slower, he went to something a little faster. I am sure if you looked at all the good players out there, you would find a few who still used a ZLF. You can find that quite a few did at the Euros.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/...rs-equipment-from-European-Championships-2016

This is probably the 4th time you have come around asking about blades and I will tell you the same thing - there is no way to buy a blade you like over the internet without taking a risk and as much as I love Carl, he cannot help you because even if you like a blade, there is no guarantee that you won't get one that is not like others because wood is a living thing. What you need to do at your age, especially if you are a national team player, is to find a sponsor and get them to send you blades to test. I am 95% sure that if you tested 4 Viscarias or 4 Timo Boll ALCs or 4 Timo Boll ZLCs or any Zhang Jike blade, you would find one that you liked. But the point is that you need to be somewhere where you can test if you are at a level where this stuff matters to you. All the blades you don't like are used by at least one good player somewhere, so the problem is not the blade, the problem is that you don't like it. There are pros still playing with the 5 ply Primorac OFF- blade. Crazy but true. Jeoung Youngsik is using a Korbel as is Shibaev. Emmanuel Lebesson is using a classic 5 ply blade and he is the European champion.

Asking about blades over the internet will not solve your problem. You will only be lucky to get a blade you like based on such inquiry. As much as I hate the Viscaria, if forced to play with it for a month, I would adapt. IF you are a good player, over time, you will adapt too. I remember a player (who sadly died recently) telling me that when they first gave him an AL blade (Keyshot) in the 90s, he wasn't sure he liked it. He used it for a month and wasn't sure. Then he beat a top 5 player in the USA and then he knew he liked it. Blades are like that. All it takes is for you to figure out how to do something you could not do before.

And if you liked the Viscaria, but though it was too fast, then you should have figured out how to make the right contact with it so that the ball will stay on the table. It really is practice - once you like the blade, just keep playing with it until it works. Or test 5 of the the same blade and find the one you like. The 5 won't all play the same.

Samsonov used the same wooden blade until they stopped him from using it because the blade had started bending and was no longer flat. Think about it - he was making shots with a curved blade. Just because he was so used to it that it didn't matter. And yet you are still trying to make it seem like the issue here is the blade?

Here is the Butterfly specs chart. If this can't answer your questions, no one here can:

http://butterflyonline.com/Templates/BladeSpecifications.pdf

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
1 million tnumbs up for last post. Every single point of it is important.

All Viscarias are good. Getting a great one is luck, but I have had three great ones that were H and I series (two were stolen). Weight balance and feel made them great. It is hard to say all tnat went into it. All the Qs I have hit with are in the nice weight range. Whether you get one tnat is great is luck. Or you are a pro and they send you a large box of them and you pick one or two that you like best.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
happy to know there are still pros like JYS playing with Korbel. Its an excellent blade from Butterfly, its been around for years, and its also one of the cheapest ! I've been playing with mine with more than 10 years. So much time that the handle is spousing the shape of my hand/grip as you can see (T80 is my FH)

I can't change to another blade, this one is really perfect for me...

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel