sealing tt blade with girls ladies women nail sealer

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I personally like using MinWax Wipe on Poly. It is very easy and protects the wood well enough for me. On $10.00 container can seal a few 100 blades.

But I think most blade companies offer a sealant that works well and is smaller than a pint jar of Wipe On Poly.

The hairspray makes it so you don't damage the wood when you remove the rubber. But it does not seal the wood. And if you think about it, the 5 seconds it takes to spray both sides and the 30 additional seconds it takes to dry makes hairspray quite convenient if your concern is the rubber coming off without damaging the wood. However, if the concern is protecting the wood from the water in the water based glue, then some form of sealant from a TT company or a hardware store like my Wipe On Poly would protect the wood better. Whereas, nail polish, it may work, but what a hassle and there is no way to apply a thin enough layer not to mess with the playing characteristics of the blade. Nail polish will take a while to apply well. It will be hard to get the layer really even and it will make the blade face harder. But so does that expensive NCT coating on some Stiga blades. So if that is what you want, go for it.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Ok, now i get where you're coming from. I think there has been a little misunderstanding, so just for clarification:

I wasn't recommending that nail polish method at all, [EDIT: yes, you're right, it was a real hassle] even though it used to work back then, but rather was answering to Baal's post and giving an example that people might do crazy things while experimenting when they are young. I thought that made it clear, when i wrote that it was back in the eighties when there weren't TT-Companies selling sealants.
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2016
Someone gave me inner information coming from the mongolian team.
He said what they do is fry a hamburger and then use the leftover fatt for sealing their blades.
Anybody?

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
says Hi there Tompa8888, Thank you for asking my opinion. It...
says Hi there Tompa8888, Thank you for asking my opinion. It...
Mar 2015
Read 37 reviews
Applying oil to the surface of the blade has to be a challenging method.

It is known that wood can be sealed with oils, to protect it from water and extensive radiation (heat, sunlight). But the process is very time consuming. There are many type of oils, but mailny linseed-oil is the most common and cheapest. But bare in mind, that treating your wood like that will soften it. You have to wait many hours for the oil to soak in. The whole surface of the blade must be uniform, so no paints or logos should be on the surface. You have to apply evenly and only a few drops. If you apply more, you must clean your blade or else the glue won't hold.

Yust simply buy a yinhe venus 15 blade, which is a mazunov clone which comes pre sealed from the factory and your problem will be solved professionally.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I'm thinking about doing several modifications to my mazi.
maybe make the head smaller.
maybe seal several times giving it more power and harder feel....

maybe making the wings smaller to make it more flexible.

you say yinhe venus, but yinhe is not the same as butterfly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
But I would love to see a photo of that blade with the shinny red nail polish on it.

Here you go:
IMG_20170109_193906.jpg
IMG_20170109_193913.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
If you try to make your blade waterproof, rubber adhesion becomes problematic. I really don't think its necessary.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Sorry for hijacking the thread with a newbie question
If I buy a blade from stiga or xiom for example
Do I seal the blade before applying glue and rubber?
Or is it something some folks like to do ie not absolutely necessary? ?
Thanks in advance

This user has no status.
If you try to make your blade waterproof, rubber adhesion becomes problematic. I really don't think its necessary.
Disagree.
Been sealing since speedglue days up to now. Whatever blades whatever glues I haven't come across any problem gluing rubbers on my sealed blades. Speed glue thin and/or thick, rubber cement, waterbase glue, latex. Not a problem sir!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks in advance

To some extent, it actually depends on the brand. With Stiga, of the blade has a coating then no. For example, the Stiga Rosewood comes with what they call an NCT coating. Really that is a fancy way of saying it has a layer of "special" lacquer on it. So there is no reason to seal it. It is already done. But for any other blade from Stiga, I would say, seal the blade. Because Stiga blades have a tendency to splinter and the blade face can get damaged fairly easily.

With most other brands it is a choice.

I like sealing my blades.

Also, when you order a blade from most online TT stores, they offer the option of you having them seal it for you. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, that is a good option to take advantage of. They usually will do it for free. So, why not.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
Thanks in advance
Sealing is done before.
You'll read about all kind of views here, from absolutely no, no need, won't hurt, better be, and must.

Some blades are of greater risk than others. Some brands are of greater risk than others.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Disagree.
Been sealing since speedglue days up to now. Whatever blades whatever glues I haven't come across any problem gluing rubbers on my sealed blades. Speed glue thin and/or thick, rubber cement, waterbase glue, latex. Not a problem sir!

I have experienced problems with wide-pored sponges on sealed blades using WBG. So I don't seal anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Probably the glue or the way you apply it.
I glue pored tensors to sealed blades all the time.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I tried hairspray long ago.
It's a disgrace.
It doesnt protect the blade like lacquer.
You have to apply it over and over because it goes away.

One of the best blades I tried was from a guy who had been speed gluing it for around 15 years
Also from time to time he would put a layer of lacquer because he said it goes away.

Was the spray sprayed on the blade surface? What caused you to feel this way?

EDIT: Edited out some hairs.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Ok so to end this story.
I received the mazunov.
I didn't seal it
I put one layer of booster in two used t05 I have.
One layer of speed glue on each side of the mazi.
Slapped rubbers on mazi and that was it.
Now it's under some weight so rubbers won't try to run away.

Oh!!!!! Butterfly changed the size of mazunov.
Now it's same size as viscaria.
Seems they are trying to have a standard size for all blades.
Sounds like a good idea:D

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
You could take off about 2/3 of the top ply of a Mazunov when you change the rubbers and the thing would still be a club.