the thickness of rubber !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I would suggest you to buy MAX thickness, but something not too fast and easily controllable. Some will say that's too thick for developing. With 1.9-2.0 sponge thickness you can't go wrong.
EDIT: Now I see Tony said to avoid the Max.If you are a beginner stop there and follow Tony. He is an experienced coach. If you know something about equipments, play for a while now consider my points: If you want to buy a modern tensor, max sponge will lessen the feel and increase the speed, that means less control. So don't buy an Off rubber in max. But if you buy something like Mark V/Sriver or other high control rubber then you can go for max. Thicker sponge helps you generate spin and helps keep the ball on the table. IMO, learn to loop is the easiest with max sponge. But with 1.9-2.0 sponge thickness you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
hello everyone , i'm deciding to buy new rubbers , but i don't know which thickness is best for developing playing style ???
my style is blocking/flicking and topspin from mid distance .. which thickness should i choose for BH & FH ?
1.8 to 2.0 thickness. If you decide you need more power/speed (unlikely) buy some booster as this expands the sponge (increasing thickness) and gives it better playing qualities.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
1.8 to 2.0 thickness. If you decide you need more power/speed (unlikely) buy some booster as this expands the sponge (increasing thickness) and gives it better playing qualities.

I have to say, this is the first time I heard someone recommending to a developing player to boost rubbers :)

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Well... when training as a youth over 35 years ago, I used a Stiga Offensive ("Stellan Bengtsson") blade with Mark V 2.0 rubber. Back then, most considered that to be insanely fast; yet this did not impair my development. The young, they are so flexible...

When returning to the game, I experimented a bit and ended up redeveloping my techniques (and adapting first to the large, slow ball, then to the somewhat stale plastic ball) with thinner rubbers: 1.7, 1.8, 1.9... and some vendors specify the thickness in a range, and I would surmise that does reflect the significance of the thickness specification. Right now, I'm very happy with FH 1.9 and BH 1.8. I didn't quite get to fully gain sufficient faith, sufficient feel of the ball, when playing with 2.0 and up of one of the modern attack-oriented, jumpy rubbers.

I wondered if thin sponge would hamper gripping the ball properly when spinning, but that fear turned out unjustified. Happy for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My opinion is that TTTony is one of the most knowledgeable guys on this forum and he has given perfect advice, particularly asked on what you described about how you play. His info was based on your needs.

I would work on learning to loop more and to increase your level of spin. But, that does not change the information Tony provided.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Why not slower rubber in max? I'm not trying to be argumentative and I dont have a strong opinion, I just wonder about the rationale for the advice people are giving.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, I am looking at Ahmad Arbous's description of his playing style. Actually, when I first read it I realize I interpreted a flatter hitting style and thinner rubbers are better for blocking and flat hitting. So I was thinking less than max.

But I looked at Ahmad's description again, and topspin from mid-distance probably means looping.

Here, let me ask a few more questions.

1) how well do you loop vs block?
2) how well do you loop vs backspin?
3) if someone loops to you in a match, how is your counterloop?

4) or are you more comfortable blocking if the opponent loops?

This user has no status.
Why not slower rubber in max? I'm not trying to be argumentative and I dont have a strong opinion, I just wonder about the rationale for the advice people are giving.

Because after some time if you’ll want to upgrade to faster rubber - you’ll have to change to some OTHER rubber. Changes in equipment usually is not the best thing for improving. So in short - if you upgrade your SAME rubber just from 2.0 to max - it will have much less difference then if you change from one rubber to totally other.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

a year ago I would of agree with slower rubber in max.
After spending some time with "real" equipment experts, I now understand why 1.8mm/2.0mm exists
Max is mostly a mental block to get away from and in countries like SA, no one will buy 1.8mm or 2.0mm, everyone think they are pros or good enough to use Max

In mature markets, the biggest sales are 2.0mm (or one less than max) as they understand equipment more.
Better rubber will have the advantages on spin/technologies etc (sponge)

Thinner sponge will allow more control while using a more advance rubber

The realty, even the equipment expert agrees as a world wide trend.
Most people is using equipment beyond them and are not truly using them at the true potential, and in fact by having a small reduction of sponge will benefit the user more than not able to using a max sponge.

If we were to use a USATT rating, if we were to say 2300 or maybe 2400 and under should not go Max, this was kind of the direction I got from this expert.
And this expert is one of the best in the world as far as my sources tell me.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I understand the idea that a lot of people are using rubber that is beyond them, I just wonder if thinner is the only legitimate answer. It seems to me there is more than one way to solve that problem.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I understand the idea that a lot of people are using rubber that is beyond them, I just wonder if thinner is the only legitimate answer. It seems to me there is more than one way to solve that problem.

of course
I think this is what makes table tennis so fun and complicated to understand
Any thing is possible

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
In this regard, I want to put in a plug for Nexy Karis M rubber. It is slower than what I have been using but more importantly, it is very predictable. I experience a very noticeable reduction in errors already, and I have not yet trained my brain and adjusted all my shots for this stuff yet (all equipment changes require a substantial adjustment period). It is a rubber that is convincing me that what Tony and his expert friend say about people using rubber too fast (or non-linear) for their level is a problem. I bought it in Max. I wrote a longer review in that section. By the way, I have no connection to the company, I bought the sheets, and I have never bought anything from that company before except for seamless balls. Also, I have never hit with a Nexy blade that I much liked, so I am definitely not a "fanboy" for this company. But this rubber is unique and I like it a lot at the moment.

I think the interesting thing about this rubber is not so much that it is slower, but it is very linear. Nothing much unexpected happens. This is really useful when the opponent is pressuring you.

says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
Well, I am looking at Ahmad Arbous's description of his playing style. Actually, when I first read it I realize I interpreted a flatter hitting style and thinner rubbers are better for blocking and flat hitting. So I was thinking less than max.

But I looked at Ahmad's description again, and topspin from mid-distance probably means looping.

Here, let me ask a few more questions.

1) how well do you loop vs block?
2) how well do you loop vs backspin?
3) if someone loops to you in a match, how is your counterloop?

4) or are you more comfortable blocking if the opponent loops?

my blocks is very well especially i use control blade my loop vs backspin is good but i don't have perfect switch technique (switch from loop vs backspin to loop vs block) , i'm bad with counterloop :eek:
m