How long/often do we practice?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
I've heard that Asian players generally practice more than European players.
It maybe so for top players, but I suspect recreational players in Europe/USA spend more hours because of the difference in lifestyle.

How many hours do you play table tennis per week? Do you know how many hours your country's top players play?
I know that the more isn't always better, but I'm also interested in relationship between training hours and the general skill level.
I can only play 2 hours per week max because of work commitments, my daughter logs about 20 hours and represents Tokyo in her age group.

In Japan:

U12 players 20-30 hours per week
U18 players 30-40 hours per week
National team 10-40 hours per week (depends on tournaments)
Typical recreational players 2-5 hours per week

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I've heard that Asian players generally practice more than European players.
It maybe so for top players, but I suspect recreational players in Europe/USA spend more hours because of the difference in lifestyle.

How many hours do you play table tennis per week? Do you know how many hours your country's top players play?
I know that the more isn't always better, but I'm also interested in relationship between training hours and the general skill level.
I can only play 2 hours per week max because of work commitments, my daughter logs about 20 hours and represents Tokyo in her age group.

In Japan:

U12 players 20-30 hours per week
U18 players 30-40 hours per week
National team 10-40 hours per week (depends on tournaments)

i play 3 to 4 times a week on average, once with a pro coach 1H, and around 2H on the other occasions + I try to have a 50mn run to keep some good stamina level. I'm 44.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I practise about 4,5-6 hours per week + season games and tournaments.

I think most european pros usually have 2 training sessions per day à 2-3 hours. Like Waldner said in the podcast, you can't keep up focus for too long and training is pretty worthless when you don't have your head in the game.

Reactions: ttpshot
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Honestly, as long as there are people to play I'll be practicing.

I'm not sure I've ever left a session before my usual partners, except recently because my arm was too messed up to play.

This could mean 15 min per week or 60 hours per week - so what is it?

Speaking for myself, I play league once a week, which means 4-5 matches/night and then try to make it to the club on the weekend, so 5-6 hours on the weekend?

says what [IMG]
This could mean 15 min per week or 60 hours per week - so what is it?

Speaking for myself, I play league once a week, which means 4-5 matches/night and then try to make it to the club on the weekend, so 5-6 hours on the weekend?
On average I'd say 1.5 - 2 hours a day, 5 times a week. Rarely we play more, up to 4 hours sometimes. Rarely. Sometimes, VERY rarely, I play under 1.5 hours.

So I'd say say average 8 - 10 hours per week everything considered.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
It depends. Ideally I train 4 Times a Week for 2-3 hours each. And in the Summer i would play outdoors on weekends between 5-10 hours. On very hardcore days I would play outdoors and then go to training in the club later. Given I have the time.

So It can range from 10 to 30 Hours a week.

Reactions: ttpshot and JMC
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I used to play 2 hours on a daily basis. That makes 14 hour per week. In my opinion that much practice is not sufficient if you want to compete with professional players. You need to practice more than 30 hours a week to become an unbeatable table tennis player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In South Africa (general higher level players):

U13 players 5-10 hours per week
U18 players 5-10 hours per week
National team less than 10 hours per week (depends on tournaments, if no tournament, maybe 0 hours a week)

I guess if there is tournament, the hours could be up to 15 hours a week.
Private individuals could likely put in more hours that can hit 20 or 25 hours a week, but that is very scarce

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
2-3 times a week 3-4 hours each session. But I'm idle for a week now, my TT buddies are both busy with work and med school, and I'm pretty bummed out already.

Also, my college dissolved its TT team due to lack of funds. Now the teakwondo team invaded the gym. I used to play everyday when the TT players are training.

As of the moment the wall is my best friend.

This user has no status.
Honestly I am jealous of you people... If given the chance I would pratice 6 hours every day.. but as it stands i can only go for about 9-12 hours a week. And i can´t even practise on the weekend because no club opens on weekends and i do not own a table.

I would gladly spend my saturday and sunday polishing my skills.

it´s unfair

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Yeah, this thread explains why I stink at TT.

I normally have one or two sessions with a 1950 level coach per week (1-2 hours per week). I also play some matches with my local buddies ( 2 hours per week) and I occasionally do a practice session with either an 1100 player or a 1700 leftie (2 hours per week)

Doing the math, that adds up to about 6 hours per week. But I'd say anywhere between 5-7 hours per week is a good estimate, not counting service practice.