Back to Forum
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. bones is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 1 29
    B
    bones is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 29 1

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2016
    England
    29
    1
    120
    Read 0 Reviews
    #1

    Friendship 802 or 802-40

    Hi folks,

    I'm looking to use short pimples for the first time and bearing in mind the cost factor, I thought the Friendship rubbers would be a good introduction.

    Has anyone out there used both 802 and 802-40 and how do they compare with regard to

    spin, speed, control and in particular the ability to create and lift backspin.

    I tend to play close to the table and I'm comfortable with soft sponges.

    Thank you for any input.

  2. StuartMarquis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 37 159
    S
    StuartMarquis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 159 37

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2015
    UK
    159
    37
    433
    Read 0 Reviews
    #2
    I currently use 802-40 on BH and have had a few hits with a friends 802 but never properly played with it to do a real comparison. In my opinion, the 802 is more like a traditional SP rubber whereas the 802-40 is much closer to a normal inverted rubber due to its much larger pimples. If you're coming from inverted rubbers I'd probably say give the 802-40 a go first.

  3. bones is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 1 29
    B
    bones is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 29 1

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2016
    England
    29
    1
    120
    Read 0 Reviews
    #3
    Hi Stuart,

    I'm leaning towards the 802-40 but was curious to see how the two differ when trying to lift backspin in particular.
    They both seem well recommended in the TT fraternity.

    Cheers

  4. ajtatosmano2 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,001 1,302
    A
    ajtatosmano2 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,302 1,001
    #4
    I didn't played with them, but if 802-40 is closer to inverted (as Stuart said), then it's better for topspin a backspin ball, while 802 is better for hitting thought the spin.

    The Following User Likes ajtatosmano2's Post:

    BeGo


  5. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,405 3,489
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,489 2,405

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,489
    2,405
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #5
    go for the 802-40 with special sponge, I think that is 35 deg
    BYE BYE

  6. leevittha is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 37 72
    L
    leevittha is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 72 37

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2016
    Malaysia
    72
    37
    352
    Read 10 Reviews
    #6
    Hi.I have used both previously.I would agree that 802-4 short pimple rubber has got slightly more resemblance to inverted rubber as compared to 802.Perhaps 10-15% more spin?Both of the topsheets are quite lasting.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

    The Following User Likes leevittha's Post:

    BeGo


  7. phillypong is offline
    says i saw a vid of me playing, it was horrible to see
     
    Advanced TTD Member 62 221
    P
    phillypong is offline
    says i saw a vid of me playing, it was horrible to see
     
    Advanced TTD Member 221 62
    #7
    Better to never play with short pips or long pips, they dont add anything meaningfull to our sport, only frustration when people lose to players using this kind of anti-table tennis equipment. ITTF should ban pips from all competition play immediately.

  8. StuartMarquis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 37 159
    S
    StuartMarquis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 159 37

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2015
    UK
    159
    37
    433
    Read 0 Reviews
    #8
    How can you call pips "anti-table tennis equipment" when pips where the ORIGINAL type of rubber used in the sport?!? Inverted rubbers with sponge are the "invasive species", not the pips!

    The Following 4 Users Like StuartMarquis's Post:

    Andyzhao123, BeGo and 2 others


  9. bones is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 1 29
    B
    bones is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 29 1

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2016
    England
    29
    1
    120
    Read 0 Reviews
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by leevittha
    Hi.I have used both previously.I would agree that 802-4 short pimple rubber has got slightly more resemblance to inverted rubber as compared to 802.Perhaps 10-15% more spin?Both of the topsheets are quite lasting.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

    Hi Leevittha,

    thanks for the reply, are either of the two better at dealing with incoming spin on serves, or roughly the same?

  10. leevittha is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 37 72
    L
    leevittha is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 72 37

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2016
    Malaysia
    72
    37
    352
    Read 10 Reviews
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    Hi Leevittha,

    thanks for the reply, are either of the two better at dealing with incoming spin on serves, or roughly the same?
    Hi bones.Actually i used to be both winged looper for the past 15 years until early this year i started experimenting with pimple rubbers.So far I have tried long dawei 388d,c7,double fish 1615, sword syclla, and short pimples e.g.837,frienship 802 and 802-4 on my clipper cr.Personally i prefer galaxy pluto for my backhand.It is not so forgiving for service return but its 'sinking down' nature when i block or drive create alot of troubles for my opponent.I do have slight problem retrieving spiny serves with both 802 and 802-4 and they are not so 'weird' according to my opponent. To me both 802 and 802-4 are almost the same in service return(pls note:I have less than a year experience in pimples rubber and it could be my technique problem).I am thinking of switching back to inverted rubber nittaku fastarc g1.Hope it helps.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  11. allencorn is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 105 172
    A
    allencorn is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 172 105

    User Info Menu

    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    Hi folks,

    I'm looking to use short pimples for the first time and bearing in mind the cost factor, I thought the Friendship rubbers would be a good introduction.

    Has anyone out there used both 802 and 802-40 and how do they compare with regard to

    spin, speed, control and in particular the ability to create and lift backspin.

    I tend to play close to the table and I'm comfortable with soft sponges.

    Thank you for any input.
    Hi bones,

    I started playing with 802 on one side and 802-40 on the other about 2 months ago. 802-40 is faster and spinnier, but not as much like inverted as people tend to say, in my opinion. You can get a good bit of spin, but the required stroke is different. 802 is classic pips out - you can hit though most shots, and can get some spin if you need it, but that is not the strength. The best way to "lift" backspin is to hit through it, rather than spin it. I have tried kind of looping with the 802-40, and have not yet mastered it, and when I do, the shot is pretty easy for opponents to handle unless placed exceptionally well.

    They are both pretty cheap, so I opted to get one sheet of each to see what I liked better. I think the 802 fits my game better, but experimenting has been lots of fun.

    Good luck.

  12. phillypong is offline
    says i saw a vid of me playing, it was horrible to see
     
    Advanced TTD Member 62 221
    P
    phillypong is offline
    says i saw a vid of me playing, it was horrible to see
     
    Advanced TTD Member 221 62
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartMarquis
    How can you call pips "anti-table tennis equipment" when pips where the ORIGINAL type of rubber used in the sport?!? Inverted rubbers with sponge are the "invasive species", not the pips!
    Thanks to inverted rubbers with sponge table tennis has evolved to the sport it is today. The less pimples are used the better for the sport it has been. It would be ridiculous to state this kind of material should still be used. Its like saying tennis would look better if only wooden rackets were to be used.

    The Following User Likes phillypong's Post:

    Gjayesh


  13. Lula is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,358 1,637
    L
    Lula is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,637 1,358

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2016
    Sweden
    1,637
    1,358
    4440
    Read 0 Reviews
    #13
    Try Haifus short pimple! Pimples is good, otherwise everyone will play the same. The chinese is like looking at robots. I also think its alot harder to master pimples than regular rubbers.

    The Following User Likes Lula's Post:

    BeGo


  14. Tuppe is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 47 50
    T
    Tuppe is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 50 47
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by phillypong
    Thanks to inverted rubbers with sponge table tennis has evolved to the sport it is today. The less pimples are used the better for the sport it has been. It would be ridiculous to state this kind of material should still be used. Its like saying tennis would look better if only wooden rackets were to be used.
    That's a bad comparison. In tennis, you are still allowed to play with wooden rackets. Nobody does because it has a clear disadvantage in comparison with modern rackets. If there would be a tennis player who would still reach the top 50 of the world with a wooden racket, all tennis fans would adore him for being so good that he can reach such a level with a wooden racket. Well, in table tennis there are still players who use pips out rubbers and who reach the top of the world despite having a clear disadvantage against players who play with inverted rubbers with sponge. You should have some more respect for the skill level that is needed to achieve this.

    I play inverted and I would find it boring as hell if everyone would play the same. One of the things that makes table tennis interesting is the fact that you have to change your tactics and play style against every opponent. The fact that you see pips-out rubbers as junk, probably means that you are a beginner who can't play against pips and highly underestimates the skill that is needed to become a good player when using pips.

    The Following 4 Users Like Tuppe's Post:

    BeGo, Nuke Skywalker and 2 others


  15. Tek101 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 14 139
    Tek101's Avatar
    Tek101 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 139 14
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by phillypong
    Thanks to inverted rubbers with sponge table tennis has evolved to the sport it is today. The less pimples are used the better for the sport it has been. It would be ridiculous to state this kind of material should still be used. Its like saying tennis would look better if only wooden rackets were to be used.
    The ocean's saltiness is sustained by your tears. #PipsForlife. However like everyone has stated 802 is the most basic pip for basically punching and hitting through spin.... and 40 is slightly more spinny but basically plays the same... I started using both of them, but I found myself rather quickly going to TSP Spectol for more variation. At the time I was SP both sides but have since changed to having it on my forehand. I now switch between Joola Express Ultra and Victas V>102 depending on the conditions with hurricane 8 on my back hand. Either of the rubbers are excellent beginner pips though between 802 and 802-40 but I may lean towards regular 802 if you are indeed a close to the table hitter :-). Hope I have helped on your path to pips enlightenment :-D

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

    The Following User Likes Tek101's Post:

    Suga D

    Setup
    Blade: Xiom Ice Cream AZX
    FH: Sword Long Can
    BH: Xiom Vega Asia DF

  16. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,914 3,547
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,547 5,914

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,547
    5,914
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by phillypong
    Thanks to inverted rubbers with sponge table tennis has evolved to the sport it is today. The less pimples are used the better for the sport it has been. It would be ridiculous to state this kind of material should still be used. Its like saying tennis would look better if only wooden rackets were to be used.
    Joo Se Hyuk is bad for the sport? Liu Guoliang was bad for the sport? Ai Fukuhara is bad for the sport?
    Last edited by Baal; 12-02-2016 at 03:16 AM.

  17. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,914 3,547
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,547 5,914

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,547
    5,914
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #17
    802-40 is definitely easier to learn to use coming from inverted (Raystorm is even easier), but it will slow your acquisition of optimal short pips technique (because you can get away with sort of a hybrid stroke with a lot of inverted characteristics). So as soon as you can (once you feel comfortable with a lot of SP shots) you probably need move from 802-40 to something like Spectol or one of the Flarestorms, or rubbers in that category. Those will force you into a way of hitting the ball that is more optimal tactically for SP players. One difference is that 802-40 pips and topsheet are a little softer and just a bit more adhesive.
    Last edited by Baal; 12-02-2016 at 03:22 AM.

  18. phillypong is offline
    says i saw a vid of me playing, it was horrible to see
     
    Advanced TTD Member 62 221
    P
    phillypong is offline
    says i saw a vid of me playing, it was horrible to see
     
    Advanced TTD Member 221 62
    #18

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuppe
    That's a bad comparison. In tennis, you are still allowed to play with wooden rackets. Nobody does because it has a clear disadvantage in comparison with modern rackets. If there would be a tennis player who would still reach the top 50 of the world with a wooden racket, all tennis fans would adore him for being so good that he can reach such a level with a wooden racket. Well, in table tennis there are still players who use pips out rubbers and who reach the top of the world despite having a clear disadvantage against players who play with inverted rubbers with sponge. You should have some more respect for the skill level that is needed to achieve this.

    I play inverted and I would find it boring as hell if everyone would play the same. One of the things that makes table tennis interesting is the fact that you have to change your tactics and play style against every opponent. The fact that you see pips-out rubbers as junk, probably means that you are a beginner who can't play against pips and highly underestimates the skill that is needed to become a good player when using pips.
    I have to remind Tuppe that i almost always win my matches against pimple players in my league (this season i didnt lose one pimple player , there were about 8 of them up to C2 rating). But i do know that quite some players feel like playing against long pimples is quite annoying, even up to very good players.

    In fact there was in Belgium a player (who still plays i think) that once had one match point in an official match (he lost) against Jean-Michel Saive , when Saive was world top 10 ranked player, because he played ( and still plays) with very disturbing long pimples (it were those laser modified pimples , that were not allowed anymore). I know that playing with long pimples well is not easy, but lets be honest : players who start playing long pimples do so to get an advantage over the players who dont practice enough against long pimples or who are not experienced enough to adapt to those pimples.

    Most of them know their playing style will not look very pretty either .

    The long pimple story is more one of anti-table tennis. Lets be honest on this one.

    Watch this match , it illustrates what long pimple play results in ...



    When 2 long pimples players (both quite high rating !) play against eachother, u get this kind of game ...

    Last edited by phillypong; 12-04-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.