Boosting Rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
glue a rubbersurface to a shrunken sponge, then let it expand to its natural state, thus tensing the rubber??

In industrial production topsheets and sponges are glued together with a size of several square meters. The extension of the rubber would cause uneven results over the different single rubbers that are later cut from the whole.

This user has no status.
This one shows how the rubber curls up to some extent from the expansion of the sponge.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
Who would you recommend boosting to? What rubbers are best when boosted, hard sponge or soft sponge? Im interested in trying it out but afraid that my racket will be to fast and uncontrollable

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
This one shows how the rubber curls up to some extent from the expansion of the sponge.

Thanks for sharing I totally understand the concept now
one point though
at what point in the rubbers life would you 'boost' it?

thanks again for the excellent reference video

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews

Most players boost new rubbers to get the desired effect right from the start.

Then, some re-boost at a later stage.

Some play with the rubbers "as is" when unpacked, then later boost it to re-gain the feeling that was initially there out of the box.

Generally, it may take some time before you get the amount of booster right for your specific rubber and you could even ruin the rubber in the process. In other cases, there might be no effect after all.

So if you´d just like a faster rubber, there might be one that gives you what you want without boosting ;)

Reactions: Darren Maudling
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Most players boost new rubbers to get the desired effect right from the start.

Then, some re-boost at a later stage.

Some play with the rubbers "as is" when unpacked, then later boost it to re-gain the feeling that was initially there out of the box.

Generally, it may take some time before you get the amount of booster right for your specific rubber and you could even ruin the rubber in the process. In other cases, there might be no effect after all.

So if you´d just like a faster rubber, there might be one that gives you what you want without boosting ;)

Thanks airoc that makes a lot of sense
i think I need to just find a rubber that works for me and work with it
ive found this subject both interesting and informative

Reactions: Liten
This user has no status.
Anyone trying out chinese rubbers with hard sponges, sooner or later will try boosting. There you feel the difference the most imo.
Personally, id never boost a new tensor/euro rubber. Glue it, cut it, play it. When the rubber eventually shrinks(factory boost evaporates), then maby you try some boost, maby..

Id rather find a good enough rubber unboosted. Its a hastle, boosting, imo..

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Who would you recommend boosting to? What rubbers are best when boosted, hard sponge or soft sponge? Im interested in trying it out but afraid that my racket will be to fast and uncontrollable

Let's see if I can do this some justice.

Anyone can boost. Most rubbers will respond to booster oil. But not all will respond well to it.

When I used to use H3 4-5 years ago, I had to boost it over and over again. Every few weeks to a month, I felt the need to reboost.

Part of why I started using H3 is because I figured, it lasts longer and is a great value given how long it can last. A large part of why I stopped using H3 is because of how much of a hassle boosting it regularly was. It is not the only reason I stopped using H3. But it was a large factor. I wanted to be able to glue rubbers on and leave them till I was ready to put on my next rubbers.

So, anyone can boost. Most rubbers can be boosted. Rubbers like tensor rubbers from ESN don't need it. But their play is still generally enhanced by boosting. Nothing bad happens if you try it. But where it may be more important is in higher levels of competition where it is also supposed to be against the rules.

I have a friend who is 2300-2400 (USATT rating) who boosts the heck out of his rubbers. The rubbers on his racket always feel pretty amazing. He does it because he wants an edge in tournament play. He can definitely handle the effect.

For many of us though, it is not really that important.

I like Ilia's method. He uses factory boosted rubbers. When the boost wears off and they are getting worn, he reboosts to get something close to the original feel of the rubber back.

But the idea of boosting is that you get a little more speed, more spin and more control all at the same time. So, theoretically speaking, it might be okay for any player to try.

That being said, in 1991, I found this club and played for a few months there. I really sucked. And everyone at the club was so good. They were all speeed gluing. Boosting is something that tries to replicate the speed glue effect. So, all these guys were speed gluing and they told me I should try it. They got me to seal my blade so it was set for speed gluing. Then I used the glue.

I remember the first time, being amazed that the rubbers no longer fit my racket. They were hanging over the edge by almost a centimeter on all sides. When I hit with the racket it was like an alien being. Man it felt amazing. Wow. I still can remember how alive the rubber felt. But, frick my racket was way to fast.

Three days later I was glad I had not cut the rubber to fit my racket after the speed glue. Because in that time, they had shrunk back to there original size. With speed glue the effect lasts about 12-18 hours. With booster oils, the effect is not as dramatic, but it lasts for longer: 2-4 weeks; sometimes longer. I have my doubts about the people who feel it lasts longer though. I think they just get used to the slowly diminished boost effect.

So, to sum up the points I've made, many of which Airoc made as well:

1) "Who would I recommend boosting to?"

Anyone can try it. It may be more useful to a more advanced player. But anyone can try. For me it felt great even when I couldn't handle it. [emoji2] So it can be fun to try even though it is a hassle.

2) "What rubbers are best when boosted, hard sponge or soft sponge?"

I remember there was one Joola rubber I came across in the early days of tensor rubbers that was messed up by boosting. I think it was Joola Express One and/or Two. All other rubbers I have tried boosting, boosting worked. Most sponges absorb the oil and are expanded by it. It is possible that someone could use a different booster oil on Joola Express and have good results.

Rubbers like H3 are worth boosting. They were designed to be boosted and play much MUCH better when boosted well. But pretty much any rubber can be boosted.

3) "Im interested in trying it out but afraid that my racket will be to fast and uncontrollable."

It is hard to say. Based on your control in the pancake drill in NextLevel's giveaway competition, you probably can handle boosting. You also can boost with one layer, test it out, if you want more, add another layer, test it out, and if you want more, add the third layer. So, you can proceed cautiously and find the right amount of boost for you.

But it is important to know: YOU DON'T NEED IT! If you do it, it is because you are experimenting. Feel free. Go for it.

Here is how it has been explained to me: a) Falco is okay and it is inexpensive; b) DianChi is much better, but more than twice the price; c) Haifu SeaMoon is a small but noticeable amount better than DianChi and a little more expensive; d) Haifu Oil is triple the price of SeaMoon and way better. [emoji2]

That info came mostly from my high level friend who boosts the heck out of his rubbers. But he is a bit spoiled and he said Falco is garbage. I just know it is not quite like that. And Falco is probably good enough for most of us. [emoji2]

4) "At what point in the rubbers life would you 'boost' it?"

Personal choice. Some people boost right out of the packaging. Some people boost as a measure to make their rubbers last longer. It really is a personal choice.

But it should be known that boosting is officially against the rules even though over 80% of the top pros boost. And perhaps the rule should be changed. So I am not saying this for a judgement on anyone or anything. But just so you guys know, that, technically, boosting is against the rules.

The arguments for or against the rule that bans boosting are for another day. For me, the reason I don't boost, in spite of how good it makes the rubber feel, is the hassle of the whole process.

Hope this info helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Ive asked before, ill ask again:
Why on earth is it impossible to glue a rubbersurface to a shrunken sponge, then let it expand to its natural state, thus tensing the rubber?? No boosters, no nothing..
Booster is not about expanding the sponge although this is something that will happen.

The gaseous compounds that leak off the booster enter the sponge filling up the minute pores in the sponge and expanding it. When this gas is compressed it pushes back out much harder then the gas that is in these bubbles originally.

Same as speed glue although speed glue entered the sponge really fast and left even faster.

It's not as much about the tension as people assume.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sure, I get that today's methods might have to change. But impossible?? Id pay up to 40-50% more for a rubber that had real tension over it's total life-span..

If you take a rubber-band measure it. Then put it on something that stretches it, and leave it in that stretched position for a few weeks, and then take it off the stretch, it will be larger than it was before the stretch.

So, putting the rubber on tension in the factory gives the rubber a shorter shelf life and causes it to wear out faster on your racket. Which, in point of fact, is a good part of why ESN rubbers seem to lose their original great feel within just a few weeks. It is also likely why Tenergy seems to last so much longer than most ESN rubbers. There are many ESN rubbers that, for the first week or so, feel and play better than Tenergy only to lose that feeling quite fast.

So, in theory, you are better off with a rubber that starts without the tension and the tension is only added when you put the rubber on your racket.

And, as the famous PNut pointed out, the tension isn't actually the issue. It is the elasticity of the rubber, which is increased for a short time when the rubber is put on tension. But then, as the elasticity diminishes, so does the effect from the tension.

So there is really no way to make that permanent. At least not with rubber. Perhaps what you want is flubber from the famous movie.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Let's see if I can do this some justice.

Anyone can boost. Most rubbers will respond to booster oil. But not all will respond well to it.

When I used to use H3 4-5 years ago, I had to boost it over and over again. Every few weeks to a month, I felt the need to reboost.

Part of why I started using H3 is because I figured, it lasts longer and is a great value given how long it can last. A large part of why I stopped using H3 is because of how much of a hassle boosting it regularly was. It is not the only reason I stopped using H3. But it was a large factor. I wanted to be able to glue rubbers on and leave them till I was ready to put on my next rubbers.

So, anyone can boost. Most rubbers can be boosted. Rubbers like tensor rubbers from ESN don't need it. But their play is still generally enhanced by boosting. Nothing bad happens if you try it. But where it may be more important is in higher levels of competition where it is also supposed to be against the rules.

I have a friend who is 2300-2400 (USATT rating) who boosts the heck out of his rubbers. The rubbers on his racket always feel pretty amazing. He does it because he wants an edge in tournament play. He can definitely handle the effect.

For many of us though, it is not really that important.

I like Ilia's method. He uses factory boosted rubbers. When the boost wears off and they are getting worn, he reboosts to get something close to the original feel of the rubber back.

But the idea of boosting is that you get a little more speed, more spin and more control all at the same time. So, theoretically speaking, it might be okay for any player to try.

That being said, in 1991, I found this club and played for a few months there. I really sucked. And everyone at the club was so good. They were all speeed gluing. Boosting is something that tries to replicate the speed glue effect. So, all these guys were speed gluing and they told me I should try it. They got me to seal my blade so it was set for speed gluing. Then I used the glue.

I remember the first time, being amazed that the rubbers no longer fit my racket. They were hanging over the edge by almost a centimeter on all sides. When I hit with the racket it was like an alien being. Man it felt amazing. Wow. I still can remember how alive the rubber felt. But, frick my racket was way to fast.

Three days later I was glad I had not cut the rubber to fit my racket after the speed glue. Because in that time, they had shrunk back to there original size. With speed glue the effect lasts about 12-18 hours. With booster oils, the effect is not as dramatic, but it lasts for longer: 2-4 weeks; sometimes longer. I have my doubts about the people who feel it lasts longer though. I think they just get used to the slowly diminished boost effect.

So, to sum up the points I've made, many of which Airoc made as well:

1) "Who would I recommend boosting to?"

Anyone can try it. It may be more useful to a more advanced player. But anyone can try. For me it felt great even when I couldn't handle it. [emoji2] So it can be fun to try even though it is a hassle.

2) "What rubbers are best when boosted, hard sponge or soft sponge?"

I remember there was one Joola rubber I came across in the early days of tensor rubbers that was messed up by boosting. I think it was Joola Express One and/or Two. All other rubbers I have tried boosting, boosting worked. Most sponges absorb the oil and are expanded by it. It is possible that someone could use a different booster oil on Joola Express and have good results.

Rubbers like H3 are worth boosting. They were designed to be boosted and play much MUCH better when boosted well. But pretty much any rubber can be boosted.

3) "Im interested in trying it out but afraid that my racket will be to fast and uncontrollable."

It is hard to say. Based on your control in the pancake drill in NextLevel's giveaway competition, you probably can handle boosting. You also can boost with one layer, test it out, if you want more, add another layer, test it out, and if you want more, add the third layer. So, you can proceed cautiously and find the right amount of boost for you.

But it is important to know: YOU DON'T NEED IT! If you do it, it is because you are experimenting. Feel free. Go for it.

Here is how it has been explained to me: a) Falco is okay and it is inexpensive; b) DianChi is much better, but more than twice the price; c) Haifu SeaMoon is a small but noticeable amount better than DianChi and a little more expensive; d) Haifu Oil is triple the price of SeaMoon and way better. [emoji2]

That info came mostly from my high level friend who boosts the heck out of his rubbers. But he is a bit spoiled and he said Falco is garbage. I just know it is not quite like that. And Falco is probably good enough for most of us. [emoji2]

4) "At what point in the rubbers life would you 'boost' it?"

Personal choice. Some people boost right out of the packaging. Some people boost as a measure to make their rubbers last longer. It really is a personal choice.

But it should be known that boosting is officially against the rules even though over 80% of the top pros boost. And perhaps the rule should be changed. So I am not saying this for a judgement on anyone or anything. But just so you guys know, that, technically, boosting is against the rules.

The arguments for or against the rule that bans boosting are for another day. For me, the reason I don't boost, in spite of how good it makes the rubber feel, is the hassle of the whole process.

Hope this info helps.

fantastic information Carl thank you I think you've totally covered the whole boosting subject and I for one now understand the whole subject

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Booster is not about expanding the sponge although this is something that will happen.

The gaseous compounds that leak off the booster enter the sponge filling up the minute pores in the sponge and expanding it. When this gas is compressed it pushes back out much harder then the gas that is in these bubbles originally.

Same as speed glue although speed glue entered the sponge really fast and left even faster.

It's not as much about the tension as people assume.

This is actually a fair point. A good part of it is the gas filling the pores in the sponge to make the sponge have more rebound. This is also why solvents that evaporate faster have a more pronounced boost effect. But also wear off faster. Why speed glue is so powerful but lasts for such a short time. Why, mineral oil has a small effect, lasts long, but if you use too much it will make the rubber feel mushy and weird instead of boosted. And why paraffin works better than mineral oil and worse than the VOCs in Speed Glue.

But the extra elasticity and grip of a rubber on tension does have a decent impact on the boost effect. So, I would not dismiss that aspect of boosting.

Reactions: FloKing
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As human as I can be.

Just checking. Often when an old thread gets woken up with a comment that is 10 words or less and it is hard to tell which post the comment is referring to, it is a spambot. But spambots don't usually answer when you ask them questions. :)