Play against Medium pips rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Can somebody explain the returning ball from medium pips when u play against them?
From my side, for example, i will play top spin, push, under spin.
I would like to know the returning spin from the opponent when they top spin, push or underspin my above 3 types of play.
Thanks all

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Too many variants here
First what kind of medium pips, and is there is sponge or not, if yes, how thick

It all depends if the MP you talk about can generate its own spin or not.
Also depend if the opponent is using your spin or not

One can't simple answer your questions with most of the information not available

Some MP is closer to SP and some is closer to LP
Thickness of sponge plays a huge role too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Speaking more generally... medium pips usually reduce the spin. Meaning you will receive more dead balls or balls with drastically less spin. If they block your top spin, expect a relatively spinless ball to come back. Same with a push. Medium pips don't usually reverse the spin too much, but many can do it moderately so.

Medium pips allow for hitting through spin (especially back spin) in flatter strokes and blocking most stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Generally Lord gave you the answer, but in fact medium pips are very allround. You can do almost everything with them, so they demand very good technique and strategy against each type of player. I have used the same pips as Ai Fukuhara, but it was not that easy. The pips gave me a lot of opportunities, but too much thinking was also catastrophy during match.
One thing I noticed where these pips gave me a lot of points, it was playing counterhits during match. For instance I played FH topspin and my opponent blocked the ball to my BH, then I just pushed the ball like playing counterhits. Most of times I won the point because my opponent while trying to play counterhit hit the net or while playing topspin the ball was too long. It was just the angle of the bat and the spin was usually dead.

Reactions: BeGo and genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I am not a good tennis player. But, I love to watch tennis. I think I am not the right person to talk about the different spins in tennis.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great responses. I have a long pips bat in my bag and use it in coaching sessions from time to time for players who mention they struggle against pips. I think the only way to really learn how to play against pips is to do some practice against them.

Also if you put a pips bat in your hand and play with them this will help you understand how they effect the ball.

Tips for pips. I find if i topspin to long pips, the return comes back with a bit of backspin depending on how much spin I put on the ball and also their shot on the return. I would then push this ball into there pips. Usually after pushing into the pips you get a no spin ball return which you can attack through. Also I find a lot of long, float serves into the body of the opponent opens the play well for a strong attack.

Reactions: Xanderngzien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
Hello, I would like to thank you for sharing this interesting information. I tried table tennis just several times. I thought it would be easier.