Liu Shiwen offered $1million!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
I follow Adam Bobrow the commentator on Facebook. He just shared this article: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/the-1million-table-tennis-player/

Liu Shiwen was offered $1million by a team in the China Super League!

It looks like table tennis becoming more lucrative!

What do top players make, anyone know?

Hello,

I read somewhere that Ma Long had a salary from the super league of $250,000 on top of his sponsorships/tournament winnings.

Can anyone else shed any light on this subject? It might not be publicly available, which is fair enough :)

Ultimately, they all play for the love of the game and not the money, otherwise they'd be in football (soccer) :)

Reactions: Essemme
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hello,

I read somewhere that Ma Long had a salary from the super league of $250,000 on top of his sponsorships/tournament winnings.

Can anyone else shed any light on this subject? It might not be publicly available, which is fair enough :)

Ultimately, they all play for the love of the game and not the money, otherwise they'd be in football (soccer) :)

Funnily enough I read/heard somewhere that Zhang Jike's dad wanted him to stop playing football and to start playing table tennis because there was more money in it. Can't remember where I got it from or whether it's true though.

This user has no status.
Funnily enough I read/heard somewhere that Zhang Jike's dad wanted him to stop playing football and to start playing table tennis because there was more money in it. Can't remember where I got it from or whether it's true though.

Yes, ZJK's dad did say this, and it used to be true! :)

It used to be true in China, when ZJK was little, until the Football Super League got the massive investments that it has had over the last few years. Diego Costa got offered £600,000 a week to play football in China!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Yes, ZJK's dad did say this, and it used to be true! :)

It used to be true in China, when ZJK was little, until the Football Super League got the massive investments that it has had over the last few years. Diego Costa got offered £600,000 a week to play football in China!

Yes but diego costa is diego costa a western player. The chinese dont have strong teams/championships in basketball or soccer yet so I doubt all of the footballers take tons of money like in the west.

Being no1 worldwide in TT like ZJK or ML means that you will have great offers from telephone companies coca cola etc etc in china. That's where the big money is . Why invest in a commercial with a top chinese footballer when you can invest on ronaldo or messi like the japanese did ? :p

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
Yes but diego costa is diego costa a western player. The chinese dont have strong teams/championships in basketball or soccer yet so I doubt all of the footballers take tons of money like in the west.

Being no1 worldwide in TT like ZJK or ML means that you will have great offers from telephone companies coca cola etc etc in china. That's where the big money is . Why invest in a commercial with a top chinese footballer when you can invest on ronaldo or messi like the japanese did ? :p

True :)

Still, its probably fair to say that Chinese footballers earn a lot more now than they did when ZJK was little, due to the increased funding etc.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's quite common for the Super League teams to pay big money to 'buy' players for their team. Apparently one team paid 10 million RMB (just under 1.5 million USD) to buy Guo Yan back in the day and that was I think back when she was number 1 in the world which was over 5 years ago.

Reactions: Michal_Z