10 years out of the game - Equipment?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Massively appreciate the replies... I suppose the last thing I need to do now is order the rubbers and glue :)

My old Bryce were 2.1mm but I notice that the MP-X (which I'm now leaning towards) are 2.0mm or 2.2mm which I assume is max thickness. What would you guys recommend I buy thickness wise? What thickness are people using these days?

FYI: the thickness of the sponge alone does not determine the maximum thickness allowed. A sheet of rubber that has shorter pimples under the topsheet may have a thicker sponge like 2.3. A topsheet that has longer pimples would need a slightly thinner sponge. The reason is that the maximum thickness is determined by the thickness of the sponge+topsheet. And that thickness cannot exceed 4mm.

I'm looking at the thickness of the topsheet+pimples of MXP on my racket and it looks a little thinner than the topsheet+pimples of T05. I could be wrong because my judgement on T05 is from memory. It is not on my racket. But I think that may be why MXP can have a little thicker sponge.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: XO21

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
If you go to your local club the odds of finding someone using t05 on at least one side has got to be nearly 100%, and mx-p not far off that. It shouldn't be too much to ask to borrow someone's paddle for a quick hit so you could try before you buy. Obviously the blades will be different fron yours, but you should still get an idea.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
So I bit the bullet and bought two Tenergy 05's and had my first session with them this evening. All I can say is amazing! So much life and kick in them!

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, this certainly gives me a benchmark to gauge other rubbers off. Personally I can't see me wanting to change, for a while anyway.

I used Donic Vario Clean glue and found it very easy to use considering it was my first use of water based glues. One layer on the blade and two medium layers on the rubber.

Thanks for the advice!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
So I bit the bullet and bought two Tenergy 05's and had my first session with them this evening. All I can say is amazing! So much life and kick in them!

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, this certainly gives me a benchmark to gauge other rubbers off. Personally I can't see me wanting to change, for a while anyway.

I used Donic Vario Clean glue and found it very easy to use considering it was my first use of water based glues. One layer on the blade and two medium layers on the rubber.

Thanks for the advice!

Nothing creates a spinnier slow loop than a fresh sheet of tenergy 05. Welcome to the never ending loop of buying tenergy :rolleyes:

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Nothing creates a spinnier slow loop than a fresh sheet of tenergy 05. Welcome to the never ending loop of buying tenergy :rolleyes:

Nothing has a more satisfying feel either. But, and there is always a but, make sure you put in a lot of work into your short game. T05 does not suffer fools easily, and does not forgive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
After my Tenergy 05 purchase (which are still amazing to play with) I've decided upon buying a new blade. In fact I've bought a couple of blades to try out, I'll no doubt sell the one that I favour least. My old Timo Boll Forte is OK but not the greatest.

Seen as I'm going to be gluing my rubbers to these new blades to try out, when should I look to peel the rubbers? Is there any harden rule to how many layers of glue before peeling? Do I even need to peel at all? The glue I have is Donic Vario Clean if that helps in any way.

I appreciate the advice :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
After my Tenergy 05 purchase (which are still amazing to play with) I've decided upon buying a new blade. In fact I've bought a couple of blades to try out, I'll no doubt sell the one that I favour least. My old Timo Boll Forte is OK but not the greatest.

Seen as I'm going to be gluing my rubbers to these new blades to try out, when should I look to peel the rubbers? Is there any harden rule to how many layers of glue before peeling? Do I even need to peel at all? The glue I have is Donic Vario Clean if that helps in any way.

I appreciate the advice :)

When you already have glue layer on the rubber, typically you don't need much. Just make sure they are well covered on both rubber and blade. Donic glue is a strong glue. I'd consider peeling probably after 2-3 re-glueing but do be careful in doing it. With donic glue, it will be a tedious and painful job

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Perhaps you are ready now for a Timo Boll composite blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I've been extremely happy with my T05 purchase, still can't believe how well they play without having to constantly speed glue like the old days. I could have possibly gone for 05FX on the backhand for that extra bit of control but that's something I may look into when I replace the rubbers down the line. For now I'm very happy with these rubbers, just need to settle on a blade.

Perhaps you are ready now for a Timo Boll composite blade.
Out of the composite blades how well is the Boll ALC regarded?

I've been looking into blades and started a thread asking a few questions about the Nittaku Acoustic. I've always had a soft spot for Nittaku products and have found them to be made to a high standard. I managed to try out both Avalox P500 and P700 blades with my T05's recently. The P700 has an extremely nice touch in and around the net, top spinning off the table was also great after adjusting to the speed.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Take a TB ALC, a TB Spirit and a Viscaria and see which handle you like best. Then choose based on which feels best in your hand. Aside from the handle, they are very close to being the same.

But, if you like the Avalox P-700 and just need to adjust to the speed, it may be worth just sticking that out for a while to see how you like it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I've been extremely happy with my T05 purchase, still can't believe how well they play without having to constantly speed glue like the old days. I could have possibly gone for 05FX on the backhand for that extra bit of control but that's something I may look into when I replace the rubbers down the line. For now I'm very happy with these rubbers, just need to settle on a blade.

Out of the composite blades how well is the Boll ALC regarded?

I've been looking into blades and started a thread asking a few questions about the Nittaku Acoustic. I've always had a soft spot for Nittaku products and have found them to be made to a high standard. I managed to try out both Avalox P500 and P700 blades with my T05's recently. The P700 has an extremely nice touch in and around the net, top spinning off the table was also great after adjusting to the speed.

TB ALC, Clipper and Acoustic are my go to blades simply because you almost can't go wrong with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Take a TB ALC, a TB Spirit and a Viscaria and see which handle you like best. Then choose based on which feels best in your hand. Aside from the handle, they are very close to being the same.

But, if you like the Avalox P-700 and just need to adjust to the speed, it may be worth just sticking that out for a while to see how you like it.

Top advise, thanks Carl.

Do you happen to know how the P700 and Boll ALC compare in terms of speed?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Top advise, thanks Carl.

Do you happen to know how the P700 and Boll ALC compare in terms of speed?

TB ALC, Viscaria and TB Spirit should all be a little faster than the Avalox P-700. .

If you had a 93 gram P-700 and an 83 gram TB ALC the P-700 may be a tiny bit faster or the same speed. But if they are the same weight, the P-700 will not be quite as fast.