Greece vs Great Britain EURO QUALS 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

and a small interview from alan cooke

Coach Vatsaklis stated something interesting before our first match vs GB which it never occured to me before. He said the english team are definitely in disadvantage against every team with the new rule (coaching during play) because everyone can understand english, but not everyone can understand greek,romanian,french etc etc . So it would be nice to know what GB players think/feel about this (love to see a podcast with sam walker)

p.s. enjoy and I hope the greek commentary is not annoying :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Everyone can understand english ?

It's a wrong excuse because coaching during play is not really used by professionnals.

Also, if he doesn't want to be understand by oppenents, he could decide of a code with differents strategies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Everyone can understand english ?

It's a wrong excuse because coaching during play is not really used by professionnals.

Also, if he doesn't want to be understand by oppenents, he could decide of a code with differents strategies.

Not
really used by professionals? Can you be more specific? If you were a coach and you had a good piece of advice to your player at a critical/turning point of the game, you wouldnt sign/talk to him? :O

I think you misunderstood the quote my friend, that was said by the Greek coach Vatsaklis, not the English coach (alan cooke)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Not
really used by professionals? Can you be more specific? If you were a coach and you had a good piece of advice to your player at a critical/turning point of the game, you wouldnt sign/talk to him? :O

I think you misunderstood the quote my friend, that was said by the Greek coach Vatsaklis, not the English coach (alan cooke)

Yes I read too fast, It's said by greek coach ;)

About new rule, at hungarian open, I didn't see advices by coachs between points, or quite little.
Coachs prefer to give advices after sets or time out.

And if a coach wants to give advices between points, it's more productive to decide a code with differents strategies.

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Yes I read too fast, It's said by greek coach ;)

About new rule, at hungarian open, I didn't see advices by coachs between points, or quite little.
Coachs prefer to give advices after sets or time out.

And if a coach wants to give advices between points, it's more productive to decide a code with differents strategies.

Code
between points for sure probably existed before the new rule. Its not practical and not always easy/productive to communicate with signs/code (especially when the player has his back on his coach or is not focused to look at his coach everytime the point ends, besides, abusive coding tactics can be easily witnessed by the referees and punished for delay of the game, you cant just simply look at your coach and wait for a sign everytime a point ends) when you can simply shout to your player "relax" "serve to his bh" etc etc.

When the points are played too fast, coach does not have the time to sign, especially if the server immediately takes the ball and starts the point. Before the rule it was forbidden to talk to the players, now a simple "relax" "take it easy" or whatever advice can be of great importance especially in turning points of the match, or when the player applies wront strategy during the game. Small adjustments by the coach sometimes, can actually decide the set and the match

Im not saying the new rule changes the game to a whole different or unfair coaching/strategies, but it helps coaches and players to perform and adjust better in certain occasions. If you are winning or losing 9-3 in a set and playing great or bad a coach advice wont do much anyway. But in 9-9 it could be a deciding factor.

Last edited: