Tips for using Hurricane?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Hello all,
I have recently decided to switch from tenergy 05 to hurricane 3 as a test. I have heard that the technique used for hurricane is a lot different then using tensor rubbers such as tenergy. I was wondering, does anyone who is well experienced with hurricane have any tips to utilize it well?

Reactions: BeGo
says My current competition setup is what's on my profile...
says My current competition setup is what's on my profile...
Nov 2016
Depends on which hurricane 3 you are talking about. If you are just using hurricane 3 (without the neo), it can be very hard to play and you'll feel like you're not generating a lot of power. This rubber is meant to be boosted but I've played with it non-boosted and it's good for developing good technique. I recommend getting a hurricane 3 neo first as this is factory-tuned/boosted so it'll give you a bit of juice (but not a lot). H3 Neo as most people say needs to be boosted in order to unlock the full potential but I've personally played with it unboosted and play just fine. It might be due to the fact that I'm using a fast blade like Hurricane Long 5. The most commonly commercially sold H3 neo is in 39 degrees and comes in 2.2 and 2.15 thickness. You can get either thickness but I would suggest getting the 2.15 since it'll be slightly lighter. Hurricane rubbers in general are always heavy, so it may take a few days to weeks to get use to the weight. Once you get everything setup, find a practice partner and just start practicing on your forehand drives. I don't know how you do your forehand drives since everyone does them slightly different but a lot of Chinese coaches at my club will tell you to brush the ball (regardless of what rubber you use). Since you've been using tenergy 05, you probably didn't need to do this for the ball to go over safely. I used t05 previously and all I had to do was hit the ball at the highest point to drive it over, instead of going under the ball slightly to brush it. If you try hitting it with H3N, it'll probably go in the net (trust me, most the people who've played with my equipment wonder how I get the ball over), so you got to make sure you go under the ball (sometimes slightly below the table) in order to get it over safely. It's kind of like a mini topspin, but it shouldn't to the point that your training partner has trouble driving it back. Focus on doing this a few 100 times to get the timing down and then later add in the whole body rotation. You'll be weight transferring from your right leg/knee to your left leg/knee. If you've received coaching on this, I apologize and you can ignore it. If not, watch some videos of ma long doing his forehand drive on youtube to get an idea of what it looks like. This forehand drive is probably the most important stroke because it'll lay the foundation for your forehand loop which I find is basically the same motion but with your arm further below the table, with the brush being much faster like you're literally whipping your arm. Make sure to keep your arm relaxed when performing the whipping motion. You'll find that you'll be missing the ball initially, but make sure to practice on getting the timing right. The angle will vary a lot depending on what ball you get so you have to figure that out on your own. But make sure you BEND YOUR KNEEs. Unless you're hitting really high balls or you're really short, you'll probably have to bend your knees, otherwise you'll find brushing the ball (or even getting your arm below the table) to be impossible. It's physically demanding and add on the heavy rubber and you'll find your probably be really tired after a few 50-100 loops at the beginning, especially if you don't train often. And pretty much rinse and repeat. Your whip will be rather slow at the beginning because your body is not used to it but as you do it more, it'll become faster (based on neuroscience). It's a rather slow process, especially if you've been playing for a long time. If you've got money to spare, you might want to make a second blade with the rubber on it. I had a friend who used his blade with H3N to train his loops initially and played t05 when he was being serious. But gradually changed to H3 Neo. Anyways, very long message and I've left out a lot of details, feel free to message me LOL if you have any questions. It's a pretty rewarding experience once you start seeing your loops spinny and low arc. And even if you do go back to tenergy, you'll find that your technique in looping is much better.

P.S. It's highly recommended to get a coach who knows how to use Chinese rubbers to train/drill you since he/she will be able to find any faults in your technique.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
edited out.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Depends on which hurricane 3 you are talking about. If you are just using hurricane 3 (without the neo), it can be very hard to play and you'll feel like you're not generating a lot of power. This rubber is meant to be boosted but I've played with it non-boosted and it's good for developing good technique. I recommend getting a hurricane 3 neo first as this is factory-tuned/boosted so it'll give you a bit of juice (but not a lot). H3 Neo as most people say needs to be boosted in order to unlock the full potential but I've personally played with it unboosted and play just fine. It might be due to the fact that I'm using a fast blade like Hurricane Long 5. The most commonly commercially sold H3 neo is in 39 degrees and comes in 2.2 and 2.15 thickness. You can get either thickness but I would suggest getting the 2.15 since it'll be slightly lighter. Hurricane rubbers in general are always heavy, so it may take a few days to weeks to get use to the weight. Once you get everything setup, find a practice partner and just start practicing on your forehand drives. I don't know how you do your forehand drives since everyone does them slightly different but a lot of Chinese coaches at my club will tell you to brush the ball (regardless of what rubber you use). Since you've been using tenergy 05, you probably didn't need to do this for the ball to go over safely. I used t05 previously and all I had to do was hit the ball at the highest point to drive it over, instead of going under the ball slightly to brush it. If you try hitting it with H3N, it'll probably go in the net (trust me, most the people who've played with my equipment wonder how I get the ball over), so you got to make sure you go under the ball (sometimes slightly below the table) in order to get it over safely. It's kind of like a mini topspin, but it shouldn't to the point that your training partner has trouble driving it back. Focus on doing this a few 100 times to get the timing down and then later add in the whole body rotation. You'll be weight transferring from your right leg/knee to your left leg/knee. If you've received coaching on this, I apologize and you can ignore it. If not, watch some videos of ma long doing his forehand drive on youtube to get an idea of what it looks like. This forehand drive is probably the most important stroke because it'll lay the foundation for your forehand loop which I find is basically the same motion but with your arm further below the table, with the brush being much faster like you're literally whipping your arm. Make sure to keep your arm relaxed when performing the whipping motion. You'll find that you'll be missing the ball initially, but make sure to practice on getting the timing right. The angle will vary a lot depending on what ball you get so you have to figure that out on your own. But make sure you BEND YOUR KNEEs. Unless you're hitting really high balls or you're really short, you'll probably have to bend your knees, otherwise you'll find brushing the ball (or even getting your arm below the table) to be impossible. It's physically demanding and add on the heavy rubber and you'll find your probably be really tired after a few 50-100 loops at the beginning, especially if you don't train often. And pretty much rinse and repeat. Your whip will be rather slow at the beginning because your body is not used to it but as you do it more, it'll become faster (based on neuroscience). It's a rather slow process, especially if you've been playing for a long time. If you've got money to spare, you might want to make a second blade with the rubber on it. I had a friend who used his blade with H3N to train his loops initially and played t05 when he was being serious. But gradually changed to H3 Neo. Anyways, very long message and I've left out a lot of details, feel free to message me LOL if you have any questions. It's a pretty rewarding experience once you start seeing your loops spinny and low arc. And even if you do go back to tenergy, you'll find that your technique in looping is much better.

P.S. It's highly recommended to get a coach who knows how to use Chinese rubbers to train/drill you since he/she will be able to find any faults in your technique.

Thanks for the reply. This will help me a lot in using the hurricane.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For most people at a mid level to switch from Tenergy or an ESN rubber with catapult sponge, to H3 is very hard because the technique used for each kind of rubber is very different.

If you feel like you are having trouble with it, there are two ways to handle that:

1) you switch back.
2) you accept that you are going to play badly with it for 2-10 months.

If you are coming from a fairly low or fairly high level (like semi-pro level) the transition may not be as hard. But for an intermediate level player to switch from Tenergy to H3 is usually pretty frustrating.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: splasher78 and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
So this is my personal opinion, there are more informed people out there and I am just telling you how my thought process works on this and my experience with transitioning from Tenergy to H8 Mid Soft , not with H3 ... even though I have an unboosted H3 on Long 5 lying in my bag which I have gotten around to boosting or using consistently ..

I have made the switch from T05 to H8 when the plastic ball came around because I was having trouble looping balls which were slightly out of the hitting zone during matches and generating enough spin on them to cause trouble to the blockers ..

But what it has done for me is to help me improve my touch on on the short ball, on all kinds of shots really . One of the highly understated properties of chinese rubbers is this , you can do a lot in the short game which is difficult with tenergy, dropping short , pushing and flicking are really much easier and it opens up a lot of options. Having said that , its very important to have a good forehand technique / learn from the coach because the first reaction to adjusting to Hurrincane is to use shoulder to compensate for the apparent lack of speed because you really need to have a stronger whip for the ball to sink into the sponge , which you don't in case of ternergy or other modern spring sponge/tensor rubbers , and this leads to shoulder injuries when you switch to chinese rubber without trying to change the technique and try to force the issue.

So, I would recommend you start using H8 since its easier to use and comes boosted out of the package , even though I am beginning to suspect that H8 lacks a little power/spin on the top end of the spectrum but I personally feel its a good start , till you figure out how to optimally boost your H3, something I am still to start on.
But be ready to go through a learning curve and make sure you that you figure out how to use your core/weight transfer when using Hurricane and not hit with you shoulder because it has been known to cause a lot of rotator cuff injuries unless you are somebody who has been playing since a kid with hurricane and have the technique nailed down as well as the muscles developed..

Again , I will leave it to people who have used H3 and H8 enough to throw more light on the subject .... this is just me telling you how I am approaching the transition..

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
Using hurricane?

In short,

just spin the ball.

Never EVER block the ball. [emoji6]

Any kind of block, flat hit, or drive, is super difficult with this rubber family, so

I just brush loop or brush chop everything. [emoji4]

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't agree with this , at least not with Hurricane 8 , I can do pretty much all of what you said is "don't do" and I don't think if the hurricanes were that one dimensional people would not be buying them ..

Using hurricane?

In short,

just spin the ball.

Never EVER block the ball. [emoji6]

Any kind of block, flat hit, or drive, is super difficult with this rubber family, so

I just brush loop or brush chop everything. [emoji4]

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I don't think if the hurricanes were that one dimensional people would not be buying them ..

Agree with this,

because hurricane is that one dimensional, people are buying them. [emoji6]

Hurricane is made for spin, to spin, and to overcome spin.

That is why Tensor guys must make heavy adjustment for using Hurricanes, and

Dhs have heard their customer agony cried "speed, please!" To add speed in subsequent series, H3 Neo, H8, for Tensor Guys to feel more at home.

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For most people at a mid level to switch from Tenergy or an ESN rubber with catapult sponge, to H3 is very hard because the technique used for each kind of rubber is very different.

If you feel like you are having trouble with it, there are two ways to handle that:

1) you switch back.
2) you accept that you are going to play badly with it for 2-10 months.

If you are coming from a fairly low or fairly high level (like semi-pro level) the transition may not be as hard. But for an intermediate level player to switch from Tenergy to H3 is usually pretty frustrating.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Carl, why would an intermediate level player use t05? what a waste of money xd