Advice on gluing rubbers

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Cool or humid conditions mean you have to wait quite a lot longer for glue to dry before attaching the rubber. That can be a problem where I live.

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
Cool or humid conditions mean you have to wait quite a lot longer for glue to dry before attaching the rubber. That can be a problem where I live.
If i have to wait a lot longer then its not a problem..i will have to let it dry all day long or all night long. Where i live its very humid now because its raining and i really need to glue my rubbers. So thats why the question

Reactions: Gjayesh
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
If i have to wait a lot longer then its not a problem..i will have to let it dry all day long or all night long. Where i live its very humid now because its raining and i really need to glue my rubbers. So thats why the question

Here in Houston it can be a big problem. In the previous house I live in, the air conditioning really didn't do a good job reducing the humidity. I have since moved to a newer house (about 6 months ago) and I have less of a problem now with the same glues and same blades.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Is is a bit paradoxical but if you live in a highly humid environment you can use a dryer set on low to speed things up a bit BUT -- and this is important -- if you use a fan or hair dryer be careful to not use a glue that dries too quickly (e.g. Tearmender) because then you will also get uneven drying*. It is kind of weird but that is in my experience here on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. I seem to do well with Butterfly Free Chack 2.

Which makes me think also that some of the different results people get with glues are partly technique; partly rubbers and blade (wood and whether it's sealed and rubber pore thickness); and also partly the environmental conditions in which it is applied (temperature and humidity); and even how old the glue is (which you can't always know because it may have sat on vendor's shelf for awhile and manufacturers don't put dates on the bottle).

In other words, it is more complicated that it seems, and once you find something that works well for you, don't change.

* In more chemical terms, I surmise that it can be a bit hard to get the polymerization to start, but if you heat it up too much once it starts it goes really fast and it's hard to control.

Last edited:
Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
Is is a bit paradoxical but if you live in a highly humid environment you can use a dryer set on low to speed things up a bit BUT -- and this is important -- if you use a fan or hair dryer be careful to not use a glue that dries too quickly (e.g. Tearmender) because then you will also get uneven drying*. It is kind of weird but that is in my experience here on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. I seem to do well with Butterfly Free Chack 2.

Which makes me think also that some of the different results people get with glues are partly technique; partly rubbers and blade (wood and whether it's sealed and rubber pore thickness); and also partly the environmental conditions in which it is applied (temperature and humidity); and even how old the glue is (which you can't always know because it may have sat on vendor's shelf for awhile and manufacturers don't put dates on the bottle).

In other words, it is more complicated that it seems, and once you find something that works well for you, don't change.

* In more chemical terms, I surmise that it can be a bit hard to get the polymerization to start, but if you heat it up too much once it starts it goes really fast and it's hard to control.
I use free chack from Butterfly and i havent had any problems ever since. So i applied one layer of glur and let both the rubber and the blade dry for the night. Maybe going to apply one more layer of glue and let it dry all day long. Gladly the weather has cleared up a bit and rain has stopped