Who do you think will win the Europe Top 16?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Stefan Fegerl

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Tiago Apolonia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kristian Karlsson

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Andrej Gacina

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
What has happened between Gauzy and Shibaev has its negative background from the last ETTC in Budapest. They met in the round of 16. The match was very nervous. Alexander's serve was many times regarded as illegal what was also pointed out by Simon, points after points were taken off his serve and it all resulted in Shibaev's defeat. That's that match:

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
What is your source?? 3 women and 3 men..
"First 3 players in both events will be qualified for 2017 ITTF World Cups with limit
of 2 players per association.
"

Someone told me that, maybe he meant 3 for men and 3 for women. But Timo Boll wrote on facebook that he reached his minimum goal of qualifying for the world cup.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What is your source?? 3 women and 3 men..
"First 3 players in both events will be qualified for 2017 ITTF World Cups with limit
of 2 players per association.
"

Read the next line:
2.2 The winner of each Continental Cup, plus the second (2nd) and third (3rd) highestfinishers from Asia and Europe shall qualify, for a total of ten (10) players.
2.3 Seven (7) additional players shall be selected from the Continental Cups based ontheir order of finishing and their World Ranking

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
This user has no status.
Summary: Shibaev didn't properly shake Gauzys hand, audience boo'd, Shibaev apologized, Gauzy ventured too deep into the saltmines after losing and went aggressive instead of just letting it go, Shibaev was like "well screw you then lol"

Also I find it hard to believe that Gauzy doesn't know the rules concerning that net ball. He was clearly looking at it after hitting the ball. In which case... that was a dick move of him. Or he was really that confused that he didn't properly see it... which is also hard to believe.

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Gauzy probably overreacted, but Shibaev is a known a**hole. I remember a doubles match where the ball clearly touched his shirt in one of the deciding points and he didn't admit it. Shame I don't remember which match it was. One of the opponents might have been Jonathan Groth.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Wow, there's a lot of bad blood right now.

Shibaev hit the ball with the edge of the racket after Dima's BH flick, Dima detected a crack and asked for a new ball.

During the 'warm up' with the new ball, in Russian:

Shibaev: "How did the ball break?"
Dima: "You hit an edge and it broke"
Shibaev: "You didn't even show me"
Dima, to the umpire in English: "He is talking to me, I don't know why". was clearly irritated with Shibaev.

Pretty demonstrative screaming after winning the next couple of points as well.