Clutching close games

This user has no status.
There's a lot of hurdles in this game obviously but I'm wondering if people have hit this one and have been able to get over it.
You are starting to get really close to the next level of players (who used to cream you) however every time your are up 10-whatever they manage to
deuce you and take the deuce game. I'm talking games that should have been yours.

The other part of it is that there is no conscious change of game when in the situation. It just seems to happen over and over.

I can only think of a few ways to get over it. Become conscious that you are at 10-whatever and have a plan. Not sure what
the plan is. Another suggestion by tabletenniscoaching.com is to be aware of what worked earlier. That's a good one if
you can force yourself to be thinking at all times.

It's a rough area to be in. Much better than when you got smoked by these opponents but frustrating knowing that you have
improved into the "tough loss" area ;)

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
For me these situations are never quite the same. Being hyped up and a bit stressed sometimes results in good results, while other times a more zen state of mind leads to the best results.

What helps for me is to try to block out the aspects of the situation that make it so stressful.
- Don't watch the scoreboard
- Don't focus on winning as the only goal

The suggestion of tabletenniscoaching is valid, but incorporating a certain element of surprise can allso work. (for exemple a long fast no spin serve down the line). Both you and the other player will then be in a 'new and unfamiliar state' that can still go both ways, but seeing as you take the initiative, you have a slight advantage.

I think it really depends on the type of players that are facing eachother and what 'mood' you are in. And the strategy that works against a certain player might not work against another player or that same player on another time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Garrison - yes you may have a good point. The better player might switch up one gear. They may have been playing at 75% for the first part. Which brings it to MDP's point. You have to make it difficult for them to take the game over. That has to involve increasing risk which could go either way.

I also have experienced amazing points when hyped or when in relaxed mode - there's no rule there. I don't consciously get nerved when I'm up at 10 points. In my head I think that my probability of winning is high so it could be that unconsciously I let off the gas pedal. I need to test out a plan next time because playing the loss of lead and deuce out as regular points doesn't seem to work in my favor.

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
In my head I think that my probability of winning is high so it could be that unconsciously I let off the gas pedal.

This sounds very familiar. It even happens to me at the moment when I just need to finish the point. For exemple: When you just need to drop the ball over the net to score the point or smash it into the table.