Simon Gauzy and Shibaev Bust Up at Europe Top 16

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
wasn't it obvious that the ball was out and Gauzy still wanted the point? Maybe that's why Shibaev was angry in the first place and didn't want to shake hands properly?

Not sure what started it...

There was a lot of tension in the last match between them at ettc

This user has no status.
There is a lot of tension because Shibaev is nothing more than a dirty cheater and this is what makes Gauzy angry. Without his obviously extrem wrong serves he wouldnt win a set against Gauzy. I can't understand why these amateur referees are NEVER doing their jobs. So many games just won because of unbelievable cheat serves, just watch the European Top 16 game, Samsonov vs. Lebesson. Every serve of Lebesson is a fault and the referee doesn't give a ****

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I think the problem was that ball after hitting the net hit the metal part of the net which connect it to the table. Simon insisted the point should be for him. I do not know the rules but in my opinion it was Shibaev.
Everything what happened later was because of that.

it belongs to the net, ball must touch the table which it has not and surely Gauzy knows that?

Reactions: ImaPersson
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think the problem was that ball after hitting the net hit the metal part of the net which connect it to the table. Simon insisted the point should be for him. I do not know the rules but in my opinion it was Shibaev.
Everything what happened later was because of that.

The rule is that if the ball rolled along and then over the top of the net (that clearly happened) and then hit the metal net post (??), that is part of the table and it should have been Gauzy's point. Even in slow motion, from the camera angle I can't tell if the ball actually struck the metal netpost, but the umpire was in a perfect position to see it. And, I assume he knows that rule.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Should watch this vid. They count at least 6 serves as fails. But he kept on throwing the ball into his Body. But that's Not gauzys fault. So give him just the left Hand is really Bad behavier.
Fighting during the Match ok. But when it's over shake Hands fair and respectfully

Reactions: akoozab and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
That is not correct. The net post is the net. If the ball only hit the net post/clamp, it has not hit the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
From the replay I am pretty sure the ball actually hit the metal part. There seems to be a tiny change in the balls momentum.

EDIT: My impression from a little bit of googling is that everything of the net: The net itself, the post, the holder and even the screws are part of the net. This means in this case that the point indeed has to count for Shibaev as the ball did not hit his side of the table.

This is quite a surprise to me as usually all the people in my club think it belongs to the table.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Of course it hit the metal part of the net. But now I see everyone has his own opinion if metal support of the net belongs to the table or not. I think somebody has to check the rules, if have time.

It's one of the most misinterpreted rules in TT. The posts and assembly are considered part of the net, so it was NOT Gauzy's point. I was surprised at his reaction - I expect pros to know this - so all I can think is that he couldn't see the ball impact and went from the noise alone. The replay shows that the ump was right.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Of course it hit the metal part of the net. But now I see everyone has his own opinion if metal support of the net belongs to the table or not. I think somebody has to check the rules, if have time.

That is not necessary at all. This is a basic rule in table tennis. Only the table is the table. The net/net post/net clamp is the net. If the ball don't hit the table, you don't win the point. This is like a club umpire question!

Reactions: Anders and akoozab
This user has no status.
it only hit the net post, which is part of the net. but that is beside the point.

somebody already said, these two had a clash before. in the video from ettc you can't see what happens right after that hand shake when they walk out of the screen.

i'm not exactly sure what happened there myself but see here: https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/...ropean-Championships-2016&p=166176#post166176

i actually like how the cameras covered the whole thing this time. bad manners are actually good publicity, we need to see more of this if we want to make table tennis more popular. sad but true, think trash talking in boxing and mma.