Xiom Vega Range - Advice

This user has no status.
Hi everyone.

I recently started a thread on the site asking for advice on a new setup after recently returning to the game. I currently use a Joola Eagle Fast blade with Joola Energy X-tra both sides, but it feels far too soft for my liking now.

I've narrowed the blade down to the Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black as i've heard really good things about it, but I was deliberating a lot over the rubbers to choose.

I've stumbled across the Xiom Vega range and i've read some really good things about them, but I feel dead out of touch with it now as they weren't around when I used to play.

Would someone be able to help me differentiate between the different choices in the Vega range so I can work out which one would be best for me? Any advice or feedback from anyone who has used any of them before would be greatly appreciated!

says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
Can someone explain the difference between Japan and Pro?
The main difference is sponge hardness. In ESN terms. Vega Japan is 45 degree and Pro is 47,5 degree.
Vega Japan has a bit more catapult compared to Pro.

I prefer the PRO now, but played Japan on the VH for quite some time.

It took a while to get used to the harder sponge, but now my loops have more spin and speed.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I've gone through 3 sheets of Vega Pro, 2 Sheets of Japan and 2 sheets of Europe DF.

Japan: More catapult. The topsheet wears out pretty quickly and ball is susceptible to slipping through. I didn't really like it as the rubber's performance deteriorates quite quickly and the catapult becomes a bit non-predictable. 2 other players in my club had a similar experience. Wouldn't recommend.

Pro: One of the best rubbers I have ever used. Incredible spin and speed if you have the technique to use it. The sponge is pretty hard so you have to be in position and use proper technique if you want to extract the best from this rubber. Just patting the ball along doesn't give you anything. The ball will go into the net. I don't train as often as I used to, which I why I am no longer using it on my forehand. When I did use it though, the opening topspin and the following one were enough to win a point the majority of the time. @vossi39, respect for using this on your backhand. My backhand is a lot safer and varied than my forehand but I don't have the power to use it on my backhand side.

Europe DF: Very high quality topsheet. Not that far behind the pro for producing good quality serves which is quite surprising as it is a soft rubber. I used it on my forehand to improve my technique. I would recommend this for the backhand though. It's very nice and easy to play with. However it lacks the power and spin that the pro can produce. However, you make less mistakes but have to work for your points a bit more. I couldn't definitely use this on my backhand and be happy with it but it the trajectory of the ball is not as curved as I would like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
I've gone through 3 sheets of Vega Pro, 2 Sheets of Japan and 2 sheets of Europe DF.

Japan: More catapult. The topsheet wears out pretty quickly and ball is susceptible to slipping through. I didn't really like it as the rubber's performance deteriorates quite quickly and the catapult becomes a bit non-predictable. 2 other players in my club had a similar experience. Wouldn't recommend.

Pro: One of the best rubbers I have ever used. Incredible spin and speed if you have the technique to use it. The sponge is pretty hard so you have to be in position and use proper technique if you want to extract the best from this rubber. Just patting the ball along doesn't give you anything. The ball will go into the net. I don't train as often as I used to, which I why I am no longer using it on my forehand. When I did use it though, the opening topspin and the following one were enough to win a point the majority of the time. @vossi39, respect for using this on your backhand. My backhand is a lot safer and varied than my forehand but I don't have the power to use it on my backhand side.

Europe DF: Very high quality topsheet. Not that far behind the pro for producing good quality serves which is quite surprising as it is a soft rubber. I used it on my forehand to improve my technique. I would recommend this for the backhand though. It's very nice and easy to play with. However it lacks the power and spin that the pro can produce. However, you make less mistakes but have to work for your points a bit more. I couldn't definitely use this on my backhand and be happy with it but it the trajectory of the ball is not as curved as I would like.
I've used the vega japan on my BH for about 3 months, and like you said, it can be unpredictable. Vega pro seems to be what i'm looking for, especially for improving my technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I'm not sure you would like it on the backhand. It is worth trying out though. I actually played with the pro on my backhand first because my coach and I think that the backhand is my best stroke. However, I started making mistakes blocking during matches. You can't just kind of press the ball with the Pro. Either you have to dampen the power of the incoming ball and close the racket more than you usually do or play a spin-block. But you have to be in position to play the spin-block.

I started making errors when I was "rushed" for making a block. The Vega Japan is more forgiving when it comes to blocking. It also wasn't easy to flick the ball with the backhand with the Pro as the sponge needs more power to be activated. Against backspin, I was able to kill the ball but it was a bit difficult to play topspin against block as the angle had to be closed further than normal. With the pro, it's always better to play with spin compared to countering or flat hitting the ball. I liked it better on the forehand.

I'm happy with the Baracuda Big Slam so far. Perhaps a touch softer than the Japan but much harder than the Vega Europe. It supports my blocking and countering game a lot more and I can put pressure if I want to.

However, it is worth trying out the Vega Pro on the backhand. Perhaps you won't have the same difficulties that I had :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
I'm not sure you would like it on the backhand. It is worth trying out though. I actually played with the pro on my backhand first because my coach and I think that the backhand is my best stroke. However, I started making mistakes blocking during matches. You can't just kind of press the ball with the Pro. Either you have to dampen the power of the incoming ball and close the racket more than you usually do or play a spin-block. But you have to be in position to play the spin-block.

I started making errors when I was "rushed" for making a block. The Vega Japan is more forgiving when it comes to blocking. It also wasn't easy to flick the ball with the backhand with the Pro as the sponge needs more power to be activated. Against backspin, I was able to kill the ball but it was a bit difficult to play topspin against block as the angle had to be closed further than normal. With the pro, it's always better to play with spin compared to countering or flat hitting the ball. I liked it better on the forehand.

I'm happy with the Baracuda Big Slam so far. Perhaps a touch softer than the Japan but much harder than the Vega Europe. It supports my blocking and countering game a lot more and I can put pressure if I want to.

However, it is worth trying out the Vega Pro on the backhand. Perhaps you won't have the same difficulties that I had :)
Yeah I guess I'll try it out and see for myself XD. I think having to be in a good position and have a good stroke is a good thing for my development.