Chinese Trials for World Championships 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
ML about to get sent to the Women's team. Not fighting.
This joke is not funny any more. Only the first time it was.

By the way, I do not get why the most of you care so much about LGL's words and phrasing. The overall idea is quite clear and much more interesting. His intention certainly was not to make introverted players like Shang Kun shouting all the time like Harimoto. Of course, pushing yourself can be one part of that, but not the only one. It is also about confidence, body language, aggressiveness, being courageous in the most important moments and a lot of other aspects. I am pretty sure that LGL meant all of these things when he said that some players like Shang are too passive, too shy or too kind at 9:9 while others fight for their life.
You have to show your opponent that he will not win. You can do this by shouting at him but you don't have to. Someone here claimed that Jan-Ove Waldner was not shouting much, as well. That's right. But his behavior was dominant anyway. He never hesitated, he played his best balls or some new variations when games were tight and his whole attitude was like this of a poker player how bluffs. On the contrary, some CNT members are hesitating when they miss a lead or if the play international or in a final. This is what LGL wants to overcome.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
So guys, does anyone know how many tickets for the WTTC are given in these trials? I don't know if it's right, but I think that ML and ZJK are already qualified for being Grand Slam champions?? Maybe it will be ML,ZJK+2 top ranked players + 1 coaches' choice?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

By the way, I do not get why the most of you care so much about LGL's words and phrasing. The overall idea is quite clear and much more interesting. His intention certainly was not to make introverted players like Shang Kun shouting all the time like Harimoto. Of course, pushing yourself can be one part of that, but not the only one. It is also about confidence, body language, aggressiveness, being courageous in the most important moments and a lot of other aspects. I am pretty sure that LGL meant all of these things when he said that some players like Shang are too passive, too shy or too kind at 9:9 while others fight for their life.
You have to show your opponent that he will not win. You can do this by shouting at him but you don't have to. Someone here claimed that Jan-Ove Waldner was not shouting much, as well. That's right. But his behavior was dominant anyway. He never hesitated, he played his best balls or some new variations when games were tight and his whole attitude was like this of a poker player how bluffs. On the contrary, some CNT members are hesitating when they miss a lead or if the play international or in a final. This is what LGL wants to overcome.

LGL said a lot of things that would have gotten him fired in the West. I find that interesting and if you don't that is fine. OF course LGL meant something like what you said. Whether he meant what you are saying now, I am not a mind reader and neither are you. Obviously, he was focusing on the results first and foremost.

ML's body language and fight in the first game was poor. He thought his opponent would just lose to him. IF you don't agree, fine. But I will express it how I want to when I want to. Merci beaucoup. I posted my comment after the first game in case that isn't clear. The rest of the match was much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
ML's body language and fight in the first game was poor. He thought his opponent would just lose to him. IF you don't agree, fine. But I will express it how I want to when I want to. Merci beaucoup. I posted my comment after the first game in case that isn't clear. The rest of the match was much better.
I haven't seen ML's first set. Probably, you are right about his body language.

My comment was meant in a general way. You are free to express your opinion in each way you like. I like most of your posts. I just said the joke is not funny anymore. That's all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
So guys, does anyone know how many tickets for the WTTC are given in these trials? I don't know if it's right, but I think that ML and ZJK are already qualified for being Grand Slam champions?? Maybe it will be ML,ZJK+2 top ranked players + 1 coaches' choice?

2 tickets will be given after this trials. I bet ML will take one of them. I think the top 4 will go and it is the fifth player FB who is at risk at the moment with all loses. Will see if he can do better in the latter stage to impress LGL.

This user has no status.
BTW i post it here but we had the TOP12 in Japan today,
UEDA Jin won in the final against YOSHIMURA Maharu He also beat MIZUTANI in the group phase.
ISHIKAWA won against ITO in the final. ITO beat HIRANO in the group phase.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010

I couldn't say it better. Thumps up!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Day 2 results (4 Mar 2017):

Men:

Round 2:
Fang Bo 0:2 Xu Xin (7:11, 7:11)
ZhouYu 2:1 Xu Chenhao (6:11, 11:6, 11:9)
Fan Zhendong 2:0 Yan An (12:10, 17:15)
Zhou Qihao 1:2 Zhang Jike (14:12, 3:11, 8:11)
Liang Jingkun 1:2 Lin Gaoyuan (11:9, 5:11, 6:11)
Ma Long 2:0 Liu Dingshuo (11:3, 11:4)

Round 3:
Zhou Yu 2:1 Lin Gaoyuan (11:9, 6:11, 11:6)
Liang Jingkun 2:1 Yan An (9:11, 11:9, 11:7)
Xu Chenhao 0:2 Xu Xin (5:11, 2:11)
Fang Bo 1:2 Zhang Jike (12:10, 6:11, 7:11)
Fan Zhendong 0:2 Liu Dingshuo (5:11, 4:11)
Zhou Qihao 2:1 Ma Long (11:4, 6:11, 12:10)

Round 4:
Lin Gaoyuan 2:0 Yan An (11:1, 11:7)
Zhou Yu 1:2 Xu Xin (11:5, 8:11, 9:11)
Liang Jingkun 2:0 Liu Dingshuo (11:9, 11:9)

Women:

Round 2:
Li Jiayi 1:2 Gu Yuting (8:11, 11:5, 4:11)
Zhu Yuling 1:2 Mu Zi (6:11, 11:6, 7:11)
Yuan Xuejiao 0:2 Ding Ning (7:11, 6:11)
Wu Yang 2:1 Chen Meng (5:11, 13:11, 11:8)
Feng Yalan 1:2 Liu Shiwen(8:11, 11:7, 3:11)
Chen Ke 2:0 Wang Manyu (11:8, 11:9)

Round 3:
Li Jiayi 2:1 Mu Zi (11:9, 8:11, 11:6)
Gu Yuting 1:2 Chen Meng (11:9, 6:11, 8:11)
Zhu Yuling 0:2 Wang Manyu (8:11, 5:11)
Yuan Xuejiao 2:0 Feng Yalan (11:8, 11:9)
Wu Yang 0:2 Ding Ning (11:13, 5:11)
Chen Ke 0:2 Liu Shiwen (7:11, 5:11)

Round 4:
Mu Zi 2:1 Yuan Xuejiao (11:9, 7:11, 11:8)
Chen Meng 1:2 Feng Yalan (11:6, 6:11, 8:11)
Gu Yuting 1:2 Chen Ke (12:10, 9:11, 11:13)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
So Xu Xin shows that it is possible to remain undefeated after 4 matches!

That is true, but so far he had easier players I would say. he has to face FZD, ML, ZJK, LJK and other good players. Anyway I think we will know something the earliest after 8 matches. Remember that in the last phase LJK has beaten all best players but in the end he lost to poorer ones.
One we can say that these young players were given lesson by LGL and now they really fight for their lifes. I wouldn't say ML, ZJK, FZD do the same.
Also considering only best of 3 sets is kind of unusual. The best players are used to play best of 7 so the can play softer in the first games and finally usually the better player wins. In 2 games everything might happen. Of course the biggest problem has ZJK who usually loose his first games and need some time to adapt and play his best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
That is true, but so far he had easier players I would say. he has to face FZD, ML, ZJK, LJK and other good players. Anyway I think we will know something the earliest after 8 matches. Remember that in the last phase LJK has beaten all best players but in the end he lost to poorer ones.
One we can say that these young players were given lesson by LGL and now they really fight for their lifes. I wouldn't say ML, ZJK, FZD do the same.
Also considering only best of 3 sets is kind of unusual. The best players are used to play best of 7 so the can play softer in the first games and finally usually the better player wins. In 2 games everything might happen. Of course the biggest problem has ZJK who usually loose his first games and need some time to adapt and play his best.

Βest of 3 is definitely a weird situation. Its good to see lin gaoyuan beating some big guns it wouldnt be so easy in best of 5 or 7 he used to crumble at the decider and general LGYAN lost many matches in super league and 2016 trials 5-4, 3-2 etc. He seems like a mixture of hao shuai BH block and chen Qi in FH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Βest of 3 is definitely a weird situation. Its good to see lin gaoyuan beating some big guns it wouldnt be so easy in best of 5 or 7 he used to crumble at the decider and general LGYAN lost many matches in super league and 2016 trials 5-4, 3-2 etc. He seems like a mixture of hao shuai BH block and chen Qi in FH

I believe LGY's role model is Chen Qi. It is kinda obvious from LGY's technique. Obviously since LGY is from the newer generation, he is better technique and consistency (Chen qi's consistency was quite bad back then).

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

I cant speak on behalf of others, but personally I found funny punchlines like "u belong to the basement with the B team" "maybe you should go train with the women's team" and stuff like that.

I have no doubt that LGL's intentions are to make his player's fight more at every point and give them wake up calls when needed to. Judging by his overall success as a coach and the type of advice he gives, my guess is that he tries to psych the player and motivate him to play his best . Of course there were failures like wang hao in 2004 (but LGL was still learning I guess) and ma long who was considered a favorite since 2009 but failed to deliver (and now ML is the top dog and grand slam champion so actually its not a failure but somehow a "delayed" success") , but no one is perfect .

To be crystal clear about my point : If I had to say to my players "you play like a sissy" in order to make the best out of them and of course delivered results, which means my approach is if not the best, then one of the best to win...I would definitely do it and laugh hard if people or even my players made fun of me with "tough" or "social injustice" jokes about it to make me feel "weird", no problem whatsoever I would definitely enjoy it.

Besides LGL has commented that he is even harsher when camera's are off so I dont understand why some people find his behavior "cruel"