How points are won

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I was wondering, analyzing a number of games played, where the heart of wins (and defeats) are.

Ways to win points are there, and some patterns seem to emerge.

- The winning service, the losing service
- Conversely, the losing service return, and the winning service return
- The big kill (deadly smash, lethal spin)
- The sudden change of pace/placement (espacially) in BH-BH exchanges
- Taking the puff out of the game against a highly explosive opponent (very short passive blocks)
- Stepping in on a supposedly deadly spin/direct hit and taking over (typically on an exposed FH gap)

What I wondered about whether anyone's actually tried to categorize the pro player's winning/losing points. You usually (at least I do) play to enjoy the game rather than just play to win, and that leaves ample room for a gap, methinks.

Training patterns reflect much of the patterns observed, but I'm not sure of coverage there. Coaches, is this just senseless drivel?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Those are proper things to consider and many do not do video analysis of their games. Lots to be gained by writing down the bread butter and charcoal.

It's also possible to over analyze and over depend on the analytics at the expense of variety and it's positives.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I
What I wondered about whether anyone's actually tried to categorize the pro player's winning/losing points. You usually (at least I do) play to enjoy the game rather than just play to win, and that leaves ample room for a gap, methinks.

Top players have analysts that do this, an example from Dima (full interview here: https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/content.php?1004-Insightful-Interview-with-Dimitrij-Ovtcharov-2016! ):

How do you add something to your learning?

I started to do more tactical analysis. Sascha Nimtz who I played before in Tünder with does statistics for the DTTB with video analysis.

Are the statistics similar to your feelings or do you get surprised sometimes?

There are surprises, I think I have a aggressive backhand flick, the analysis confirm this as well. I win a lot of direct points from it, however even if I don’t win a straight point with the backhand flick I get into a good position in the rally to win the point. On the other hand the analysis shows that I'm in a disadvantage after the 3rd ball after the flick, I never really realized this.

Could this give you an extra thrust to your career?

The analysis can be destroying especially against Ma Long. After my apparently good backhand flick and the second ball. If I can change that and use my strengths against him better, by having a good connection between my strength and avoid my weaknesses then the game against him can be a lot more open.

The way players win points ultimately define their "style".

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Now I have a proper keyboard in front of me... it is possible to discover combinations that consistently win points and try to get into those patterns often, but that can also backfire and train the opponent by the end of a tight match. One also try to engage the bread and butter combinations exclusively to make them less effective and also possible to miss opportunities for other shot combinations that in the situation would be effective.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I don't analyze pro. For me only..

Serving has higher percentage to win the point than receiving
Attacking by looping is safer than smashing
Attacking wins more than defending (more attackers than defenders)
Left hand has advantage over right hand
Long pips has advantage to <2000 players, not so much advantage over 2000 and definitely a huge disadvantage against >2300 players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2017
I was wondering, analyzing a number of games played, where the heart of wins (and defeats) are.

Ways to win points are there, and some patterns seem to emerge.

- The winning service, the losing service
- Conversely, the losing service return, and the winning service return
- The big kill (deadly smash, lethal spin)
- The sudden change of pace/placement (espacially) in BH-BH exchanges
- Taking the puff out of the game against a highly explosive opponent (very short passive blocks)
- Stepping in on a supposedly deadly spin/direct hit and taking over (typically on an exposed FH gap)

Training patterns reflect much of the patterns observed, but I'm not sure of coverage there. Coaches, is this just senseless drivel?

The biggest difference between solid amateurs vs the best I've seen is how much they control the point with shot selection. It's dynamic in the game, not just one rule for bh corner after fh or the like.

They can spot weakness or do something to create weakness and turn up the heat in reaction, and know when they are weak to play safe. I don't think this is always coached, but something possible to learn for people not born with the talent.

Reactions: yoass