Who do you think will win the Qatar Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
And sometimes it might be just random. If you use a coin toss to simulate a TT match, you get scores not that different from what you see in an actual 6 or 7 game match, including some that look like amazing comebacks. I think it was NL who first pointed that out, at least that is the post I remember. We like to put stories to our matches. Maybe there isnt always one, instead it is 2 guys essentially the same level and only one can win.

I think wturber deserves more credit, but I have thought the same way often even before I read his post. Think about it - here is an actual match score from the biggest upset of my tournament matches: 12-10, 4-11, 11-8,5-11, 12-10. My opponent scored more points but lost the match because he didn't score points at critical times or in a pattern that led to victory. This happens a lot more than we realize or acknowledge in TT or similar point/game/set/match scored sports.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
New here (hello!) and I know a lot of the talk here revolves around the Men's competition. But did anybody watch Wang Manyu's games against Gu Yuting/Chen Meng? Kind of curious about the difference in performance - against Gu Yuting Wang Manyu had a lot of variation and was occasionally stepping around to the forehand to attack, at times aggressively. Against Chen Meng, however, she was almost completely passive in comparison. Is there something to Chen Meng's game that shut down Wang Manyu's ability to take the initiative?

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
New here (hello!) and I know a lot of the talk here revolves around the Men's competition. But did anybody watch Wang Manyu's games against Gu Yuting/Chen Meng? Kind of curious about the difference in performance - against Gu Yuting Wang Manyu had a lot of variation and was occasionally stepping around to the forehand to attack, at times aggressively. Against Chen Meng, however, she was almost completely passive in comparison. Is there something to Chen Meng's game that shut down Wang Manyu's ability to take the initiative?

1. Chen meng refuted wang's serve, gu yuting had problems with it

2. CM also dictated the short game, 4/5 balls she was the one who decided when to open up the point , regardless if she won it or not

3. She pinned wang in her BH side, probably because she thought she was better or maybe she was afraid of wang's FH or maybe all of the above

4. WMY was indeed passive but I think this was a normal reaction when you have chen meng on the other side and she is on the attacking, CM definitely more explosive and with better recovery in her shots. I think WMY didnt exactly know what to do (or couldnt) in order to stop CM dictating the point

Overall,my imprssion is that CM was simply better at the serve/receive aspect of the game compared to gu yuting. Wang mangyu was indeed a beast when she had initiative but CM tried to stop her from imposing her game and succeeded

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Wow, thanks a LOT for that breakdown. I'm not at a level yet where I'm able to break down pro matches like this, and this really does help. Particularly on 3. - I recall China Super League commentary touting WMY's forehand, and commentators mentioned that a lot of her opponents would be aiming to prevent her from opening up with her forehand, so your comment makes sense. In contrast, Bobrow's commentary made it seem like WMY was actively choosing to stay on the backhand side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Wow, thanks a LOT for that breakdown. I'm not at a level yet where I'm able to break down pro matches like this, and this really does help. Particularly on 3. - I recall China Super League commentary touting WMY's forehand, and commentators mentioned that a lot of her opponents would be aiming to prevent her from opening up with her forehand, so your comment makes sense. In contrast, Bobrow's commentary made it seem like WMY was actively choosing to stay on the backhand side.

Well I cannot be sure 100 % about my analysis. Only the players know exactly what happens, I just observe some indications. If you want to understand some tactics and how the chinese feel/play against each other listen to the commetary on the matches below, its trully an eye opener if you want to understand your own strengths and weaknesses when playing

https://www.youtube.com/user/JaggedTranslates/videos

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Not sure why but could be because he has been instructed to use his forehand more , not sure if we can get the information on what goes on between the coach and the player .. .but you are right on what you pointed out ...
Does anybody know anything about Fan Zhendong's overuse of his reverse pendulum serve? He used it so much more in this tournament than he usually does.

This user has no status.
I also noticed that he was not using his banana flick to receive serves as much as he usually does , heck everybody was using it less and trying to go for variety, is this technique on its way out cause it's too predictable at high level play or am just seeing things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk