Adam Bobrow VS World's Fastest Serve!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
ITTF Commentator Adam Bobrow took on the world's fastest serve in the training hall of the Qatar Open this week!! Asuka Sakai's with the worlds fastest serve demonstrates how fast his serve really is in his first attempt!

WATCH THIS!

Here's a breakdown of the service in action via ttedge:

What do you think? Who's going to get practicing :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I would fault him every time for illegal serve.

I don't see how you could call fault on that serve he did vs Adam.

Funny enough. In the all things service thread, i talked about the two main types I think it's important to develop. 1st, deceptive. But then after all your club mates know your serves, nice to have the "it's got so much spin (but in this case speed) what are you going to do about it?" type.

On a side note, did he hit that serve to adam with his backhand side? I believe he did. Plenty of side but would have to have a lot of top to pull that on the table.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
wow... as fast as the side person profile looked, the first person view on receive (with Bobrow) looks pretty intense. Imagine if Ovtcharov could do this. He'd be getting into motion on his regular tomahawk serve, and then BAM! He pulls a fast one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Every single pro in the world will get caught by it at least the first time. Thats my estimate lol. :D The question is though, when will it stop working and go bad! I'd love to see one of the top dogs smash it back into Asukas backhand side

i put on the slow-mo on youtube at 0.25x i still cannot see the ball

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any examples of him using this serve in a match?

On a side note, did he hit that serve to adam with his backhand side? I believe he did. Plenty of side but would have to have a lot of top to pull that on the table.

He definitely is making contact with the BH side.

This serve is a cheat device! [emoji28]

It cleared the table under 0.25 s and have too much momentum to be blocked back. [emoji28]

It doesn't really look like ZJK has too much trouble with the serve though. In fact he quickly shifts from doing the serve with speed, to adding spin and therefore slowing it down.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Bobrow said in an FB comment under the video that the serve has very low success ratio that's why he does not use it in matches.

@ 0:35 this serve is probably 20 % faster than the one in bobrow's video. So its also a matter of hitting the ball as higher as possible. Anyway even if you do get a point out of this serve, its highly predictable and one can simply block it cause you know approximately where it is going to land and the server is already out of position. But I guess the main factor is that its a low percentage serve no matter how fast it is so why use it in the first place.

This user has no status.
Ah, so its always a point? So when Asuka Sakai plays Ma Long and begins the set, given he does not make a service mistake and Ma Long beats him on the table, the set goes on infinitively? Sir, I do have my doubts :p
Assuming the incoming serve is highly varied. [emoji6]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

It doesn't really look like ZJK has too much trouble with the serve though. In fact he quickly shifts from doing the serve with speed, to adding spin and therefore slowing it down.
I stand corrected.

Amazing ZJK can predict whether the serve will be speedy or spinny.

Asuka's form look the same to Me. [emoji28]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

The chop-block was insane at 1:00 :D The serve doesn't look like he can get points on that level he's participating... But still great to see Adam struggling and I love his reaction :D

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I tried to do this serve during last week's serve practice. 8-9 times out of 50-60 attempt. And only 2 was as fast (at least similarly fast) as Sakai's. With practice I could improve it a lot for sure, but it would still have a high fault ration and it's quite predictable after the first time.

Reactions: suds79
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I tried to do this serve during last week's serve practice. 8-9 times out of 50-60 attempt. And only 2 was as fast (at least similarly fast) as Sakai's. With practice I could improve it a lot for sure, but it would still have a high fault ration and it's quite predictable after the first time.

As fast or almost as fast? Who was it who said: "It didn't happen unless you have the video proof!" :)

Show me the video. :)