Tomokazu Harimoto leads 10-0 and then this happened!

This user has no status.
Personally, I think a point should deffinately be given only to a begginer or a very young player who may probably be frustrated. Even then what mostly matters is how the points are played. The young low level player should be given the chance to exchange some shots during each rally.
In all other cases, giving a point or not doesn't/shouldn't really matter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
May be its my lack of grey cells , but how is giving away a point in a game where the opponent is losing miserably not a sign of mercy and a sign of respect ... I can understand if the umpire makes a mistake and the opponent and you agree on that and the umpire is not listening or something like that . The reason behind giving the point back is along the lines of "I don't want your charity" but masking it as "okay I surrender" .

But think along these lines, isn't it like not giving your opponent any chance to come back from 10-0 down ? because if you give him a point he is pretty much forced to give it back instead of trying to play hard and beat you 12-10 ? so essentially when you strip away all the ruse around it , the person who got to 10-0 first essentially wins the game without trying to win another point like "buy 10 get 1 free" ... whereas he should really earn it ...

Giving one point is nothing else than a sign of respect. It's not a mercy point. It says: 'you fought good' or 'I know you're better than this'. Giving one point is not the same as don't take the opponent seriously.

Reactions: Vrael
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
In Germany it's common too to make an easy mistake if you lead 10-0, but not everyone does it and no one would be angry. It's just a nice and humble gesture i think.
Yeah. Did it in my last game. Man, did it fire back! Just one lose point and my opponent got back into the game: my teammate would dryly comment to my son: there he gave away a point and there a whole set.
So I had to fight through the final 7th set to win the game. Not recommended.

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Where I play, there is no such tradition as giving a point. If you loose, you loose, face it and move on. There is nothing very shameful in loosing. Maybe your opponent is in a different league and you are having a bad day, or just a very bad day. In my club giving a point when you are winning 10-0 could be considered rubbing opponents nose in your victory, like showing that he is unable to get even one point.

But that's not what I want to say. I want to say, that this action is irrational by itself and because of that you can't argue here. So what this action means is defined only by the tradition of the community. It can be an action of giving a respect in one place and it can be showing a disrespect in some other place at the same time perfectly.

So if i was the opponent of Harimoto (it would be nice, but no chances here :) ) and I was loosing 0-10 (it would be every time) and he gave me a point, there is a chance I would be insulted, but I am 100% sure that Harimoto did not want me to insult. Quite the opposite.

P.S. the video is unavailable...

Last edited: