Is Samsonov finished ?

This user has no status.
Since the Olympics and the China Open, Samsonov's results are going downhill fast.

World Cup 2016: loses his first match contre LEE Sangsu
European Championships 2016: wins Matias KARLSSON then loses GARDOS (!!)
ITTF Grand Finals 2016: loses 1st match to MURAMATSU
Hungarian Open 2017: wins against ROBINOT and DYJAS, loses SHANG Kun [still looks ok]
Top 16 Antibes 2017: 3 defeats APOLONIA, LEBESSON, KOU Lei
India Open 2017: loses 1st round to SAKAI (0-4 !!)
Qatar Open 2017
: loses 1st round to Matias KARLSSON (2-4)

I'm a huge Samsonov fan, and I love his game. I really am disappointed he could not do better in the semis against ZJK who was injured and not at his best as well. He was overplayed by Mizutani as well in the Bronze Medal match. I really feel now his form is going down. Shouldn't he have stopped after Rio ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, memory is short. People would remember him for his current embarrassing defeats instead for the great player he has been all along. btw i'm a huge fan. Sampras retired when he won the US open. That was the best time....

Just as people remember Jordan for being a player on the Washington Wizards instead of the greatest player of all time... or people remember Ali for losing in his final years but not as the greatest heavyweight of all time... or people remember Timo Boll for his recent injuries not for his years beating the Chinese....

Come on, man!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I would not write somebody off , especially somebody who was taking sets off Ma Long not even a year back when Ma long was at his best ... may be its a temporary slump , may be its an injury which is limiting his movement , who knows , unless we see him for a while we would not know ...or may be he wants to play doubles in some U4800 event in the next US Open to make money so he is losing rating points on purpose :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Maybe Samsonov doesnt give a single F about what us fans think :p. He has a family to preserve and I think everyone will agree that vladi is a down to earth and very smart guy so my guess is that its all part of his plan (by plan I dont mean that he loses on purpose of course). Why not compete in pro tours/grand finals and top europe competitions if his sponsors pay his expenses and he has the chance to make something extra?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Really? How many countries have anyone who could beat him consistently even now? Let alone "a long time ago"?

He's not getting younger as you get older you get inconsistent. He is no longer a threat to win a world championship. So what?

This user has no status.
there is the possibility that he is giving his one last shot at winning a major tournament, maybe changed his training regime trying to achieve peak form at a certain date sacrificing most of the smaller tournaments before that.

proffessional athletes have to plan their whole season in advance, the more competition in their calender the lower their peak form is. in theory, to reach maximum peak form you have to sacrifice most of your season making it preparation time and not performance time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
you know could be right , there is this small tourney coming up .. .called the world championships , we will see then , won't we ? :)
there is the possibility that he is giving his one last shot at winning a major tournament, maybe changed his training regime trying to achieve peak form at a certain date sacrificing most of the smaller tournaments before that.

proffessional athletes have to plan their whole season in advance, the more competition in their calender the lower their peak form is. in theory, to reach maximum peak form you have to sacrifice most of your season making it preparation time and not performance time.

Reactions: doraemon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
you know could be right , there is this small tourney coming up .. .called the world championships , we will see then , won't we ? :)

Yes, we cant be 100% sure but most likely Sammy will be ready and on form. It wont be surprising though if he gets disqualified in the early rounds facing a young korean or japanese youngster

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.

Good point there. That's quite possible, though what if his goal is a medal at the Olympics. I wonder if he can still hold out til Tokyo 2020... Too bad he didn't manage to win a medal last year sad :'(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
He is focusing on T2 APAC, something big coming up later this year.

The unique concept of T2 APAC promises to bring the sport of table tennis to a whole new level and I am delighted to be part of this exciting competition before I hang up my paddles for good,” said Samsonov, 40, who also doubles-up as the Director of Player Operations at T2 APAC.

slide1-800x450.jpgSamsonov T2.jpg

http://t2apac.com

Last edited: