Is Samsonov finished ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The match of Samsonov versus Lee showed clearly the gap between the old generation and the newest generation.
Table tennis with this shitty plastic ball and these superfast hitters is not gonna please people. Table tennis needs the cellulloid ball back asap !
Adapting is the name of the game. No undue respect to Vladi but he failed to evolve his 'boring' game but on the other hand Timo Boll has adapted his game and the results are there.

After watching the match i felt that Vladi was not aggressive enough.. and the kind of form that Lee sangsu is in, he is not going to loose a match just that easily.
I dont think that this is the end for Vladi though. He is a class act and will bounce back.

The match of Samsonov versus Lee showed clearly the gap between the old generation and the newest generation.
Table tennis with this shitty plastic ball and these superfast hitters is not gonna please people. Table tennis needs the cellulloid ball back asap !

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
After watching the match i felt that Vladi was not aggressive enough.. and the kind of form that Lee sangsu is in, he is not going to loose a match just that easily.
I dont think that this is the end for Vladi though. He is a class act and will bounce back.

Did you see how badly LSS got thrashed by FZD ? Now imagine the diff between Vladi and FZD 's current level . Vladi 0:4 LSS. LSS 0:4 FZD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
So that means if Vladi plays FZD , it would be -4:0 ? Hilarious, there is such a think as match up in table tennis , also it depends on how good you play in that one hour ... if that is the case ZJK pretty much beat everybody in their internal matches , why did he lose to LSS ... pointless argument ...
Did you see how badly LSS got thrashed by FZD ? Now imagine the diff between Vladi and FZD 's current level . Vladi 0:4 LSS. LSS 0:4 FZD.

Reactions: NextLevel
I dont agree with that. How Player A plays against Player B depends on his form for that particular match. It is quite possible that Vladi plays poorly against Lee Sangsu but plays better against Fzd and maybe makes it 4-1 or 4-2 instead of losing 4-0.
You know how waldner would get beat, infact trashed by Kim taek-so back in the day, and yet waldner would beat persson or Liu gualoiang or for that matter most of the top table tennis players of that era. He also struggled against Jean-michel saive and his brother phillipe saive but he would beat rest of europe quite easily. My point is that some players like playing against some players just because their 'game plan' suits their game more. Vice versa also.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I dont agree with that. How Player A plays against Player B depends on his form for that particular match. It is quite possible that Vladi plays poorly against Lee Sangsu but plays better against Fzd and maybe makes it 4-1 or 4-2 instead of losing 4-0.
You know how waldner would get beat, infact trashed by Kim taek-so back in the day, and yet waldner would beat persson or Liu gualoiang or for that matter most of the top table tennis players of that era. He also struggled against Jean-michel saive and his brother phillipe saive but he would beat rest of europe quite easily. My point is that some players like playing against some players just because their 'game plan' suits their game more. Vice versa also.

I am just trying to convey that it is close to impossible for Samsonov to challenge FZD or other top guys anymore. His level is not up there. He can at max make Round of 16s at premium tournaments. I personally dont enjoy watching a legend struggling to every new comer in town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
So that means if Vladi plays FZD , it would be -4:0 ? Hilarious, there is such a think as match up in table tennis , also it depends on how good you play in that one hour ... if that is the case ZJK pretty much beat everybody in their internal matches , why did he lose to LSS ... pointless argument ...

ZJK huffed and puffed through the trial matches. In marvellous 12 he started losing so much that he gave up citing injury and so on. He lost to FZD pretty convincingly in asians. And lost 4:0 to FZD during training camp. We all knew his level before WTTC. I infact mentioned in WTTC thread before WTTC started tht LSS has a big chance against him. Even LSS mentioned post match that ZJK current level is not good. LSS and FZD have similar styles so comparision is spot on.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Personally, I think anyone who can't stand toe to toe with Ma Long and Fan Zhendong should just retire. So, basically, everyone else, should hang up their racket and the World Tour should just be ML vs FZD over and over. :)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

Play again tomorrow with celluloid ballband the outcome would be the same.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I am just trying to convey that it is close to impossible for Samsonov to challenge FZD or other top guys anymore. His level is not up there. He can at max make Round of 16s at premium tournaments. I personally dont enjoy watching a legend struggling to every new comer in town.
Your problem.. Not his. Also he has a right to make a living.

Even he isn't in top 10 anymore his Club in Russia needs him when they want to stay the dominating club in Europe. No Club in the World (Maybe in chinese super league) has a Nr. 3 Player like Samsonov. And I'm sure that the money in Russia is also good. I think he will play for at least 3-5 Years.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Ovtcharov lost to Lee Sangsu in 2015 WTTC should he have retired also? We are talking about a very competent and experienced player losing to someone who has at the top of their form. Lee Sangsu was playing like a monster at the tournament.

And to say that Samsonov's style is boring. Look at the new generation players, they all play the same. At least the old generation had some style differences and were more entertaining to watch. How many times has Samsonov appeared in ITTF's rally of the day videos compared to other players?

Why anybody would think Samsonov should retire is beyond me honestly. So he is a mile away from challenging Chinese players, who isn't? Can any of the Europeans beat Fan Zhendong? Good luck. The fact that Samsonov can still content World Tour events and perform well in major events shows that he should continue to play, also people LOVE watching Samsonov play he has fans all around the globe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Ovtcharov lost to Lee Sangsu in 2015 WTTC should he have retired also? We are talking about a very competent and experienced player losing to someone who has at the top of their form. Lee Sangsu was playing like a monster at the tournament.

And to say that Samsonov's style is boring. Look at the new generation players, they all play the same. At least the old generation had some style differences and were more entertaining to watch. How many times has Samsonov appeared in ITTF's rally of the day videos compared to other players?

Why anybody would think Samsonov should retire is beyond me honestly. So he is a mile away from challenging Chinese players, who isn't? Can any of the Europeans beat Fan Zhendong? Good luck. The fact that Samsonov can still content World Tour events and perform well in major events shows that he should continue to play, also people LOVE watching Samsonov play he has fans all around the globe.

Lets answer some quick FAQs :

1. Is Samsonov finished ?
Yes . Please read the thread for his recent competetive results.

2. Should Samsonov retire ?
It is his wish and depends on making a living and so on...

3. Do fans like their legends to lose ?
No. If somebody does then he might be mentally retarded

4. Do fans love to see him play ?
Yes . Exhibitions (anytime).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
So anybody who does not agree to your world view is "mentally retarded" according to you.

Not sure about your english competence or your understanding of what is right and wrong, but this is wrong on many levels and is enough to get you banned from the forum.

Coming back to your argument, yes there are fans of Samsonov like me who like to see him compete in actual international competition ... the guy was about to win a olympic medal last year for heaven's sake and the very next year you guys are clamoring for his retirement.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Lets answer some quick FAQs :

Hi. I'm Yo$. I am mentally retarded. I still love to see Samsonov compete.

He's done when I beat him. Not before.