So ITTF make us feel ashame again...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Just saw the following article an hour ago

http://mothership.sg/2017/02/intern...t-credit-claims-exposure-is-more-than-enough/

So basically they took someone design, without acknowledge the author, and put it on their facebook/website for promotion. They took it down already after a series of complaint with news broke out on internet.

The student studies in the university that I'm currently working at. While we always thought that only Asia would happens the case where a company takes other works without credit (their response to student is exactly the same as few cases I have heard before in Asia), but ITTF just proves that it is all the same.

Reactions: NextLevel and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Just saw the following article an hour ago

http://mothership.sg/2017/02/intern...t-credit-claims-exposure-is-more-than-enough/

So basically they took someone design, without acknowledge the author, and put it on their facebook/website for promotion. They took it down already after a series of complaint with news broke out on internet.

The student studies in the university that I'm currently working at. While we always thought that only Asia would happens the case where a company takes other works without credit (their response to student is exactly the same as few cases I have heard before in Asia), but ITTF just proves that it is all the same.

What does ITTF have to do with this ? and no , what you describe is not only in Asia. In many western universities, teachers get the credit, student gets nothing.

It's the NTU'S FAUlt in the first place and the students should of course be more careful. ITTF has copied and pasted many photos from other users. You have to understand that once you upload something in facebook, everyone can copy it. That's the rules, no big deal if you ask me things like that happen very often, especially on facebook. The students should claim the credits through their NTU school not ITTF.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmiller2233
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
It is a signage under Singapore's Para-Sport project. While some people think it is not a big deal, but usually most company will inform the author they are going to use it. For the case of ITTF, they just provide a bad example of how to respond the email.

says what [IMG]
I hate it when people tell artists that "exposure is enough".

No, it's not. Bills need to be paid somehow, and it's not their job to make content for ungrateful people who don't understand the work that goes into professional artwork.

Simply giving exposure to an artist serves to do nothing in a world where there's possibly hundreds of millions of professional and semi-professional level artists who would like a job.

Reactions: Baal
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Really really bad.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
What does ITTF have to do with this ? and no , what you describe is not only in Asia. In many western universities, teachers get the credit, student gets nothing.

It's the NTU'S FAUlt in the first place and the students should of course be more careful. ITTF has copied and pasted many photos from other users. You have to understand that once you upload something in facebook, everyone can copy it. That's the rules, no big deal if you ask me things like that happen very often, especially on facebook. The students should claim the credits through their NTU school not ITTF.

To use it without attribution is low.

says what [IMG]
Using without crediting is low, but then claiming that simply crediting would be enough, when they didn't even bother to do that, is just trying to cheat them.

Part of the issue is that producing content in visual mediums in particular is not viewed as being a 'real job'. Even simple symbolic pictures require time and effort, and good ones require expertise. The consumer just has to look at it and process it for a fraction of a second to forget about it.

In terms of production pictures, you know - "serious art" by professional artists, hundreds of pictures are thrown away and a fraction are kept. So clients are inclined to think of production art as something a designer can just make spontaneously appear at will no matter what the time frame or cost.

So in my perspective, it's quite rude and naive to discredit even easy, fast logo work because of the idea that artists can just somehow survive even if they don't get paid and work 12 - 18 hour workdays.

I guess this is the price we pay when just about anyone can become an artist.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I never thought I would be saying this , but you are absolutely right Archo !
Using without crediting is low, but then claiming that simply crediting would be enough, when they didn't even bother to do that, is just trying to cheat them.

Part of the issue is that producing content in visual mediums in particular is not viewed as being a 'real job'. Even simple symbolic pictures require time and effort, and good ones require expertise. The consumer just has to look at it and process it for a fraction of a second to forget about it.

In terms of production pictures, you know - "serious art" by professional artists, hundreds of pictures are thrown away and a fraction are kept. So clients are inclined to think of production art as something a designer can just make spontaneously appear at will no matter what the time frame or cost.

So in my perspective, it's quite rude and naive to discredit even easy, fast logo work because of the idea that artists can just somehow survive even if they don't get paid and work 12 - 18 hour workdays.

I guess this is the price we pay when just about anyone can become an artist.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. I would say, it sounds typical of the poor form that the ITTF tends to show in so many areas.

It is sad that table tennis has such a lame governing body.

The idea that they would take the photo, crop out the logo of the guys who made the graphics and then claim they had no way of knowing who to credit is totally pathetic.

And then, given the opportunity to make things right by giving the creators of the logo credit, instead they argue about why they think they were justified in using the work and not crediting the source and instead of rectifying the situation by simply crediting the source, they take it down.

No wonder the sport is in such a rough place as far as marketing, promotion, getting more media coverage and promotion. If they can't even get this simple thing right, it's no wonder they haven't faced the facts of some of their bigger mistakes and blunders.

I hope ITTF see that article. I wish there was some way to get them to face things and respond properly by giving credit and offering some compensation for the use of the art.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Suga D