Long serves to FZD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Did anyone else noted that percentages of long /half long serves to FZD from his Chinese teammates (Fang No and Ma Long) were unusually high in Qatar open. A chink in the Fan's armor?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: keenansouthall
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
In a real match sometimes it works to just constantly serve the particular serve that your opponent can't return, especially against people who are not typically calm.

If they manage to return it with quality ball pretty regularly, switch to something else

This user has no status.
Guys, this is common strategy against those flick-all-serves players (like ZJK, FZD). By serving long serves you make them stay and wait if it's a long or short serve, this means they can't go for short ball early, they have to wait and check.. And cost for this waiting is that you can't flick at the highest point of the bounce, you can just make slower flick later which is good for server, because he can then counter-attack it easily.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I was listening to a podcast interview from Expert Table Tennis where Ben was interviewing former pro Dan Seemiller and Dan predicted that at some point in the future that the long serve will come back into play.

I'm paraphrasing here but I think he said with these players all working & developing their over the table backhand flick, and nobody does it better than FZD, the ideal approach of serving short to make it hard for them to attack no longer holds true. They can attack it all the same.

So you might as well take that away from those players and serve long. They will most likely loop but then you counter and you're into the rally. Really no different if you were to serve short & they flip.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I was listening to a podcast interview from Expert Table Tennis where Ben was interviewing former pro Dan Seemiller and Dan predicted that at some point in the future that the long serve will come back into play.

I'm paraphrasing here but I think he said with these players all working & developing their over the table backhand flick, and nobody does it better than FZD, the ideal approach of serving short to make it hard for them to attack no longer holds true. They can attack it all the same.

So you might as well take that away from those players and serve long. They will most likely loop but then you counter and you're into the rally. Really no different if you were to serve short & they flip.

I basically said the exact same thing on MYTT a couple years back. I took a decent bit of flack for it, too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I basically said the exact same thing on MYTT a couple years back. I took a decent bit of flack for it, too.

The simplest way to respond to Danny is that the long serve has always been in play. The short push is also still extremely effective, it is the short sidespin serve that is an endangered species.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The simplest way to respond to Danny is that the long serve has always been in play. The short push is also still extremely effective, it is the short sidespin serve that is an endangered species.

I agree with you that the long serve has always been in play. But my interpretation of what Danny is saying is that we are going to start seeing a much higher percentage of long,fast serves versus short serves in the future. Let's say that the current ratio is 85/15 in favor of short serves. We might be seeing a move closer towards 60/40 or even 50/50 in the future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015

I was thinking about quoting the same thing when I saw your reply. Long serve as a particular interesting strategy especially for a blocker like seamiller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
In order for the Europeans to ever have a chance at defeating the Chinese, they would need a player that has the following characteristics:

1) An incredible athlete with size and power.

2) a world class long, fast server whose long serves are virtually indistinguable from his short serves.

There is not a single player in Europe that has both of these characteristics. A guy like Ovtcharov fits the bill for #1, but he does not have the correct approach to serving to ever beat the Chinese consistently, IMO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
IIRC Liu Guoliang used to serve long most (~90%) of the time?

He was an SP hitter and the serving tactics are different, but that said, short serving was typically a way for the loopers to get balls to loop, but the techniques for aggressive countering and blocking are so much better today that serving short is really just one more strategy for winning points.

Reactions: gmiller2233
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

37:00 - 39:02 is where he talks about this, BTW.

Reactions: gmiller2233