Back to Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 8 102
    H
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 102 8

Viscaria vs Timo Boll ALC

Hello all, I was just wondering for anyone that has both of these blades what is the difference between the two in terms of speed, control, and spin. I know that the new Viscarias play a little different or thats what i have heard so if you could compare the new viscaria to the boll ALC that would be great

If possible as well, if anyone could compare the blades whilst using the Tenergy rubbers with them that would be great

Thanks for any replies in advance

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 118 176
    S
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 176 118
    I own a TB ALC and play with my friends Viscaria quite often (Silver tag but before the gem was implemented). Both blades play very similarly. The viscaria is a tiny bit slower, flexier and softer than TB ALC. The big difference between the 2 is that the Viscaria has significantly more feel. I dont know why this is, could be just my own TB ALC blade which has less feel. Another observation I made was that TB ALC plays very well with harder euro/Jap rubbers. It also feels very wierd with chinese rubbers. This is not the case with Viscaria which in my opinion has a wider range of rubber synergy. My friend who only uses H3neo also commented on this after trying it on my TB alc. Again this was specificly tested on my blade, Ma long once used H3 on a TB alc so it may not be true in most TB ALC blades.

I personally recommend a Viscaria over the TB ALC. Hope this helps

Edit: Both blades work wonderfully with Ternergy. More so with the TB than Vis
    Last edited by SilentRain; 02-28-2017 at 02:24 PM.

This user has no status.

H
    This user has no status.

Thanks alot SilentRain! Appreciate the reply. Would you say the Viscaria has more control then as its softer?

says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 5,929 3,552
    B
    says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 3,552 5,929

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    I have owned a bunch of each.

The main difference is the handle shape and length (TB-ALC handle is a little longer, more square). TB-ALC on average is a little harder, I think because they do something to the outer ply, maybe UV light, that makes it slightly harder. On average (meaning if you examine several examples of each blade) you would not say that one model is systematically faster than another. Of course if you compared just one of each you could easily decide that one is faster than another (hence a lot of confusion and arguing about this on threads from people who have only ever tried one of each), but if you compare two Viscarias you might well conclude the same thing. These things are made of wood, each model comes in a weight range, and no two are identical. Some people say that Viscaria has a "better feel". I agree, at least most of the time, but I would be unable to tell you what I even mean by that, and so it is a pretty useless statement. Who knows if you feel things the way I do or would like the same thing?

Don't get one that is too light, for either one, they lose a lot of what makes them good if they are much below, say, 86 grams, and they are at their best right around 90-92. A lot of the newest ones are in that weight range and I think they are excellent. Light Viscaria blades tend to be more head-heavy (the weight loss is usually carved out of the handle I think) and that is less of an issue for TB-ALC because the handle is slightly longer.

The handle that works best for your game maybe should be the deciding factor. Viscaria only comes in FL, TB-ALC comes in ST also. It is definitely more squared and the wings are a little different. So your preference may depend a bit on your grip, how high or low you like to hold the paddle, how much you change your grip from FH to BH, and things like that. Only way to know is to hold them and kind of get a feeling for it that way, or better yet, hit with a clubmate's blade if possible.

Oh one last thing. Words like "control" are like "feel". Pretty much meaningless (or mean different things to different people). Control of what? Something that helps with one shot may be worse for another. Or do we just mean slower? But I can say this, there is no obvious advantage of one over the other in my experience in terms of being able to play short game, serve, or return.

Also, if you are lucky you will get one (of either model) that is truly amazing, but given sufficient weight, you will almost never get one (of either model) that is bad. They are meant for the same kind of player. Timo Boll started his career with Viscaria.

The Following 5 Users Like Baal's Post:

fxri, guedir and 3 others

Last edited by Baal; 02-28-2017 at 04:58 PM.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 87 124
    S
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 124 87
    In a YouTube video made by tabletennisdaily (viscaria review), Dan says that the difference between viscaria and tbalc is that the edge near the handle is wider for viscaria than tbalc, which makes the viscaria a wood with more feeling (vibrations?).
    But I think there is something more...

says Ba'al has spoken

B
    says Ba'al has spoken

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    Dan is right about that. I should have mentioned it above. In addition to the handles, the wings are a little different. More feeling? I love Viscaria and prefer them to TB-ALC but I wouldn't go along with that, especially since the question is, feeling what? Again, more than anything it is handle preference. By the way, that is not a trivial thing at all. People maybe don't pay enough attention to that and the different handles and wings are quite sufficient to justify the two different models. I just don't see a lot of value in looking for some deeper difference, especially when people try to draw conclusions from small sample sizes (comparing ONE Viscaria to ONE TB-ALC that they may own or have tried). And that is what about 95% of the people who compare these blades do on internet forums. I have owned an embarrassingly large number of each. If you've done that, than you realize how much the playing properties of these blades can overlap.

The Following User Likes Baal's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

Last edited by Baal; 03-01-2017 at 12:51 AM.

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,089 10,887
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 10,887 11,089

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baal

The main difference is the handle shape and length (TB-ALC handle is a little longer, more square). TB-ALC on average is a little harder, I think because they do something to the outer ply, maybe UV light, that makes it slightly harder. On average (meaning if you examine several examples of each blade) you would not say that one model is systematically faster than another. Of course if you compared just one of each you could easily decide that one is faster than another (hence a lot of confusion and arguing about this on threads from people who have only ever tried one of each), but if you compare two Viscarias you might well conclude the same thing. These things are made of wood, each model comes in a weight range, and no two are identical. Some people say that Viscaria has a "better feel". I agree, at least most of the time, but I would be unable to tell you what I even mean by that, and so it is a pretty useless statement. Who knows if you feel things the way I do or would like the same thing?

Don't get one that is too light, for either one, they lose a lot of what makes them good if they are much below, say, 86 grams, and they are at their best right around 90-92. A lot of the newest ones are in that weight range and I think they are excellent. Light Viscaria blades tend to be more head-heavy (the weight loss is usually carved out of the handle I think) and that is less of an issue for TB-ALC because the handle is slightly longer.

The handle that works best for your game maybe should be the deciding factor. Viscaria only comes in FL, TB-ALC comes in ST also. It is definitely more squared and the wings are a little different. So your preference may depend a bit on your grip, how high or low you like to hold the paddle, how much you change your grip from FH to BH, and things like that. Only way to know is to hold them and kind of get a feeling for it that way, or better yet, hit with a clubmate's blade if possible.

Oh one last thing. Words like "control" are like "feel". Pretty much meaningless (or mean different things to different people). Control of what? Something that helps with one shot may be worse for another. Or do we just mean slower? But I can say this, there is no obvious advantage of one over the other in my experience in terms of being able to play short game, serve, or return.

Also, if you are lucky you will get one (of either model) that is truly amazing, but given sufficient weight, you will almost never get one (of either model) that is bad. They are meant for the same kind of player. Timo Boll started his career with Viscaria.
    Baal, U would absolut LUV Ur light Viscaria if you did a light Beast Mod of 12 grams...
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

This user has no status.

TTD Member 23 62
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 62 23

good review like this always give me clear view, thanks baal

The Following User Likes fxri's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 9
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 9 2
    I have TB alc with T05and T64.Trust me it was one of the best combinantion

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

H
    This user has no status.

OK guys, thanks alot. I have only ever used flared handles before on all the blades i have used as i feel it is more comfortable in the hand. In that case i may buy the Viscaria then

says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,422 2,524
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,524 2,422
    Try before you buy! :-)

The Following User Likes yoass's Post:

NextLevel

says Ba'al has spoken

B
    says Ba'al has spoken

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    You can buy a TB ALC in FL

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 387 644
    L
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 644 387

User Info Menu

You can buy a TB ALC in FL
    and it's more comfortable than viscaria FL

says Ba'al has spoken

B
    says Ba'al has spoken

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by laistrogian
    and it's more comfortable than viscaria FL
    For you.

The Following 2 Users Like Baal's Post:

NextLevel and UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 118 176
    S
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 176 118
    Quote Originally Posted by hazzaa96
    Thanks alot SilentRain! Appreciate the reply. Would you say the Viscaria has more control then as its softer?
    The difference in control is so small it wont make a difference. As Baal clearly puts it, every blade is different. Playing with 10 different blades of the same model will produce different results. Ideally you will want to test a few and pick the best one but most people dont have the luxury of knowing a shop owner who will allow this or have enough money to buy 10 different blades of the same model. Alternatively you can try some1 else's blade and purchase it if you like it as you would have tested the blade, this however is only if you know some1 who has the blade of choice and is willing to sell it. My assessment of the difference between the 2 is based on an average basis. I tried 4 different TB ALC and 2 Vis. But because every blade is different. You need to take my assessment with a grain of salt .

This user has no status.

TTD Member 4 11
    O
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 4

User Info Menu

Mar 2017
    England
    Read 0 Reviews
    i believe taht the viscaria is better as more better players use it so it must be good though i have never really used either soz

says consistency is key

TTD Member 9 47
    says consistency is key

TTD Member 47 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Pollard
    i believe taht the viscaria is better as more better players use it so it must be good though i have never really used either soz
    Top players use it doesn't mean that it's good for many of the lower level players out there. Your playing style and preference determines which is right for you.
    Blade: Timo Boll ALC
    FH: DHS Hurricane 3 provincial BS
    BH: Donic Acuda S3

says This user has status.

Senior TTD Member 515 955
    says This user has status.

Senior TTD Member 955 515

User Info Menu

Jul 2018
    Canada
    Read 0 Reviews
    Dude, you pull a 2.5 year old thread from the grave just to say that?

The Following User Likes lasta's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

says consistency is key

TTD Member 9 47
    says consistency is key

TTD Member 47 9
    Quote Originally Posted by lasta
    Dude, you pull a 2.5 year old thread from the grave just to say that?
    indeed
    Blade: Timo Boll ALC
    FH: DHS Hurricane 3 provincial BS
    BH: Donic Acuda S3

says Ba'al has spoken

B
    says Ba'al has spoken

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    Because SOMEONE WAS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!

Therefore the thread revivification is perfectly understandable. Think of all the people who failed to correct the wrongness back in 2017? It makes one fear for the future of humanity. But the necessary correction was made, belatedly, and we can all breathe a little easier as the Natursl Order has been restored.

Indeed.

The Following 2 Users Like Baal's Post:

phorkyas and UpSideDownCarl

Last edited by Baal; 12-24-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast