German National Championships 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Finals started at 14h. Already ongoing.. now women doubles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Boll is having fun, he seems soooo superior, you can see him smiling during long rallies

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
This is.. I dont know how to say..
Except the asian part of the world, the rest of the world seems to pretty ignore the championships.
The level of the play is wayyyyy low..
Best players withdraw for various reasons, and you know why?
Why would they play there, what is their motivation?

Despite of the final between Boll and Filus is pure gold with so many great rallies.. I am very sad of the low quality of the tournament and also other countries..

Sad sad, what a pity..

Looks like 10 years from now, I will be ending in quarterfinals of our championships and that will be for sure, if this trend will stay the way it is heading..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
This is.. I dont know how to say..
Except the asian part of the world, the rest of the world seems to pretty ignore the championships.
The level of the play is wayyyyy low..
Best players withdraw for various reasons, and you know why?
Why would they play there, what is their motivation?

I think that the reason is that they have too many competitions overall, leaving not enough time to train and recover. In Europe they have national leagues and Champion's League, from which they cannot withdraw as they pay their bills. They also have highly sought annual Euro Championships, major tournaments like Top 16, Grand Finals, World Cup, not accounting for the Worlds this season. Also the World tour. Not a surprise that these guys sacrifice something to practice, recover (especially being injured) and prepare to fight for the major titles.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I disagree that players have no motivation to attend the national championships. Dima had a pretty lame excuse, but apart from him the others simply couldn't make it. Becoming national champion is a big title for everybody.

We do have a problem with new talent though. The german Bundesliga goes more and more towards an european league as there are barely 15 german players anymore. This makes the league itself very strong, but less and less good kids follow through because the chances are so low.

Players like Erik Bottroff had the chance to go pro but he rather has a stable job at a german tt shop and makes a little bit cash playing in the 2nd league.

You speak like it goes downhill, but has it ever been better? As for germany, Timo and Dima don't come from great youth work, they are just 2 crazy maniacs that happen to be as dedicated as the chinese.

In my opinion it can only get better if our politics take actions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I think that the reason is that they have too many competitions overall, leaving not enough time to train and recover. In Europe they have national leagues and Champion's League, from which they cannot withdraw as they pay their bills. They also have highly sought annual Euro Championships, major tournaments like Top 16, Grand Finals, World Cup, not accounting for the Worlds this season. Also the World tour. Not a surprise that these guys sacrifice something to practice, recover (especially being injured) and prepare to fight for the major titles.

I totally agree with this. Check a brief list of all the competitions they are taking place nowadays:

- ITTF World Tour (6 platinum events + 6 World Tour Events + 12 Challenger): they usually play between 6 and 12 of these
- ITTF Grand Finals (once a year): only for the top players of the circuit
- National Leagues: around 18 - 20 team matches
- National Cup: in the German League, from 1 to 5 team matches
- Champions League / ETTU: from 6 to 11 team matches
- ETTU Top 16: only for the top 16 players
- ITTF World Cup (every year, from 1 to 6 singles matches)
- ETTU European Championships Team Qualification: from 4 to 6 team matches
- European Championships (Singles and teams, every year)
- World Championships (Singles and Teams, every year each)
- Euro-Asia Challenge (ok, most of an exhibition, 2-3 singles matches)
- T2-APAC (to be determined)

- European Games (every 4 years)
- Olympic Games Qualification (every 4 years)
- Olympic Games (every 4 years)

The top players are playing MOST of them... imagine adding flights in between, national team meetings, and.. vacation?
Considering the amount of money they can make in ITTF Competitions (check this article) and the salary they get from their clubs (which probably make them play all club competitions), apart from the National Team "mandatory" attendance.. I guess that National Championships are probably the most convenient competition to skip.

Reading the list again.. I'm surprised that injuries doesn't come more often..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
You speak like it goes downhill, but has it ever been better? As for germany, Timo and Dima don't come from great youth work, they are just 2 crazy maniacs that happen to be as dedicated as the chinese.

In my opinion it can only get better if our politics take actions.

I have to disagree strongly. I´m really not sure if you know what you´re talking about.
Many countries envy us and would be happy to have the youth work that we have.

As for Boll, he´s been working since he was eight(!!!) years old, some would say a very early age, with people like Helmut Hampl and other very quite well known coaches, such as Heckwolf, Lieder and a couple more. In case you don´t know Helmut Hampl is Headcoach at DTTZ in Düsseldorf and used to be coach of the HTTV and has developed players such as Christian Dreher, Jörg Roßkopf, Tanja Krämer, Patrick Franziska and quite a few more... And you have the nerve to call that not good youth work??
Maybe that is just not good enough for your standard. C´mon man...
[Emoji6]

I partly agree that politics should take action. To my time as a teenager i had the luck to have tabletennis classes in school. Maybe this could be pushed more.
But i think generally the problem is much deeper. The excellent youth work of the past has become way more difficult to accomplish, ´cause many Kids just don´t play tabletennis, ´cause they never met someone who´s been to a club and hence know nothing about it (e.g. TTD Member Boogar) Many parents don´t spend so much time at tabletennis Clubs anymore too. So politics isn´t the only one to blame. Parents are responsible as well. Children aren´t taught to have endurance and stamina. They only stick to the sport as long as their friends are going there too and as long as it´s cool. I know i sound like an old man now, but i think it needs to be said: we as teenagers had a few elders to look up to, but when i come to a club nowadays i miss the cool cats and mostly old people play. That´s pretty far from what a teenager would consider as "cool".

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I have to disagree strongly. I´m really not sure if you know what you´re talking about.
Many countries envy us and would be happy to have the youth work that we have.

As for Boll, he´s been working since he was eight(!!!) years old, some would say a very early age, with people like Helmut Hampl and other very quite well known coaches, such as Heckwolf, Lieder and a couple more. In case you don´t know Helmut Hampl is Headcoach at DTTZ in Düsseldorf and used to be coach of the HTTV and has developed players such as Christian Dreher, Jörg Roßkopf, Tanja Krämer, Patrick Franziska and quite a few more... And you have the nerve to call that not good youth work??

What I intended to say was that Boll does not come from having a great pool of aspiring youth players like China or Japan, but rather as one individually talented guy. I did not try to make the trainers bad sorry :) I know that our youth work created a lot of top players (rank 40-20) but for the top of the world it is just Timo

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
What I intended to say was that Boll does not come from having a great pool of aspiring youth players like China or Japan, but rather as one individually talented guy. I did not try to make the trainers bad sorry :) I know that our youth work created a lot of top players (rank 40-20) but for the top of the world it is just Timo

Ah, i see. This makes sense now. :)

Reactions: Garrison