Fish scale grain blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hello, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would do you prefer. Thx :)
<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body><body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)hoj, what is the difference between fish scale grain blade and normal? If you could choose, would you prefer after which dug? :)</body>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
if you can play with both before buying. obviously the one who feels better.If you cant then i would ask for pictures,front back and side.If still both blades are close then maybe the scale one , in case of regret easier able to find a gullible person to sell (cause of its magic attribute) :p.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"Fish Scales" is the result of how they cut the wood. It is the same wood. But the "fish scale" pattern comes from when the wood is quarter sawn.

https://www.advantagelumber.com/sawn-lumber/

Here are a few images of woods that have been quarter sawn:

images-1.jpeg

images.jpeg

qscherry.jpg

In general the main reason for quarter sawn is the cosmetic effect. It makes nice furniture.

From this site: http://www.hardwooddistributors.org...quarter-sawn-rift-sawn-and-plain-sawn-lumber/

And this page: http://www.hardwooddistributors.org/blog/postings/what-is-quarter-sawn-wood/

"WHY USE QUARTERSAWN?

quartersawnoak_kitchentteQuarter sawn wood has an amazing straight grain pattern that lends itself to design. Often used for cabinetry, flooring, high-end custom crafts and furniture, it is the traditional wood used in making mission style furniture. Dramatic flecking is also present in red oak and white oak. Other wood species that are sought after in quarter sawn are walnut, maple and cherry.

In addition to the desirable grain pattern this type of wood is some of the most dimensionally stable, making it ideal to work with. Quarter sawn lumber exhibits almost no twisting, warping and cupping. It is more resistant to moisture penetration and less prone to surface checking and raised grain.

More dimensionally stable and beautiful to look at? “Is there a downside to it?,” you ask. Well, yes. Because the manufacturing process results in a lower yield and is more labor intensive to produce quarter sawn lumber, the cost is higher. There is also a more limited supply because a smaller number of sawmills produce it."

So it deals with force very slightly differently. It is less likely to warp. It is much more expensive because of what they do to cut it. But the playing characteristics should actually not be that different. I have a Fishscales TB ZLF and I have an OSP V'King with a Koto top ply that is not quarter sawn and the OSP blade is the higher quality blade for sure. I have played with plenty of Viscarias with and without "fish scales" and they are not very different.

I would not worry too much about this stuff.

This user has no status.
I have a friendship blade with dual fishscale. I am willing to sell at a cheap price of 250$. Anyone interested?
It doesn't play like normal friendship cheap blades. Loops like a shark, pushes like a catfish, blocks like a whale and serves like a dolphin, spinny and bouncy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D