Changes in strokes on using a tacky rubber

This user has no status.
Hey folks.
I've recently switched my forehand rubber to Hurricane 8 mid-hard which is a tacky rubber. I've played with it for about a month. But I am not feeling that I have the same confidence with this tacky rubber as I had with my non-tacky rubber. I think that I am not able to get the strokes right.
When I loop the ball, it rises too high and goes out of the table. When I loop with a bit less power, it sinks into the net.
When I hit a flat smash, the ball goes straight and outside the table. It does fall straight onto the table like it used to be with my non-tacky rubber.
I love the lifting capabilities of tacky rubbers so I intend to use it and power is no issue. I'm pretty strong you see :p:p.
I would love to hear your advice on using tacky rubbers and changing strokes accordingly. Thanks ;););)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
You are having the same issue as me. I recently switched to Hurricane 3 Neo from MX-P. Generally, from what i hear, with chinese rubbers, its best to always go "full out" on each stroke. What i mean by that is to always commit to the stroke. If you hesitate, the ball will go into the net. Secondly, with chinese rubbers, since the sponge is very hard, to take advantage of the tacky topsheet, always set your mind to spin the ball and not hit it flat. It is not recommended to hit flat with chinese rubbers as the result tends to be poor. That is why you see top players like Zhang Jike twiddle their bat to their tenergy to smash.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
When this happens to me I'm trying to use too much arm and too little power from the legs and waist. Rotational body momentum into the ball makes a huge difference with Hurricane.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
When this happens to me I'm trying to use too much arm and too little power from the legs and waist. Rotational body momentum into the ball makes a huge difference with Hurricane.
Completely agree...I have weak arms but I use complete body rotation on my stroke. I play with 2 setups. One with hurricane neo 3 and other with Rasant on my FH (both penhold) and by using the whole body, my stroke seems to be same for both the setups.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
see the general consensus is if you cannot generate your own power , its not to your advantageous to use Hurricane . How you generate the power is upto you to figure out. Of course the easiest and the most consistent way is to use your core rotation and weight transfer. You cannot depend just on your forearm snap to make as much spin as you are used to , also hurricane discourages "chicken" swing, so you have to get in position early and make a fuller stroke and finish the stroke ...

I have made this transition from Tenergy 05 to Hurricane 8 ( albeit mid-soft ) , for me I have to use fuller strokes and really focus on core rotation when you compare to tenergy. The reason I did this was to be able to lift balls with topspin back to the table in case I am out of position or late , which I apparently lost when the plastic ball transition happened. However, what I have gained is a lot more feeling on forehand along with better short game , push , dropping shot and flicks off lower balls ..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hey folks.
I've recently switched my forehand rubber to Hurricane 8 mid-hard which is a tacky rubber. I've played with it for about a month. But I am not feeling that I have the same confidence with this tacky rubber as I had with my non-tacky rubber. I think that I am not able to get the strokes right.
When I loop the ball, it rises too high and goes out of the table. When I loop with a bit less power, it sinks into the net.
When I hit a flat smash, the ball goes straight and outside the table. It does fall straight onto the table like it used to be with my non-tacky rubber.
I love the lifting capabilities of tacky rubbers so I intend to use it and power is no issue. I'm pretty strong you see :p:p.
I would love to hear your advice on using tacky rubbers and changing strokes accordingly. Thanks ;););)
After trying so many rubbers T05, MXP, Rakza, Donic F1, Bluefire J02, TG2, TG3 and Hurricane series. I am able to give a bit of advice.

Chinese tacky rubbers traditionally pair best with 5-ply blade. You can still use hard 5-ply blade witb Hurricane 8 for the plastic ball. The idea is that tacky rubber (slow on touch) + 5-ply = great control in short game. When you need faster game you are meant to brush the ball with a strong stroke - i.e. flatter angle when looping.

Hurricane 8 relies on bending of the blade to lift the bal up. But if your blade is very hard you would struggle with hurricane rubbers.

Reactions: parkash.imangry