Modern game too repetitive?

I think the word to be used is 'evolve' The game has evolved to an extent that it is not comparable to the original brand of table tennis that was played in the 80s and the 90s. Technology has changed in every aspect, techniques have evolved, and above all the players are coached differently also.
In my opinion the game favors more to the blocker/counter player rather than all all-out attacker. Especially with this plastic ball, it has become that much more harder for an attacker to dominate the table tennis game. In a way it is good, because now everyone gets a chance for upset when playing in a tournament or in a league. Previously the game suited more to the attacker, i am talking about the pre-40mm era.
Still a wonderful game to watch, observe and play though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I like Kenta's style a lot too. (I mainly serve tomahawk and I try to use his block when I can) However, His current ranking is 19 and I don't think he is going to go any higher. Creativity etc. is very good but to be top dog you have to have a looping style. If you look at the top 10 players almost all of them except Xu Xin and Vladmir Samsanov (his ranking is going to drop soon) have a looping style with the difference being the consistency, power, and spin of their game. At the recent Marvelous 12 tournament we saw arguably the top 12 players in the world looping and looping and nothing else. Bottom line is as of now if you want to try to be a Waldner or a Joo Sae Hyuk or even a Kenta Matsudaira don't expect become number 1.

To have a strong looping game and play with much variety like Matsudaira/Waldner is not a contradiction, just there isn't such a player yet. Ma Long is still on the power side, Kenta on the creative side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
To have a strong looping game and play with much variety like Matsudaira/Waldner is not a contradiction, just there isn't such a player yet. Ma Long is still on the power side, Kenta on the creative side.

I completely disagree, Ma Long and Kenta are not that different, Ma Long could probably beat Kenta playing a creative game, he just prefers disciplined TT and knows how to execute it better. In fact, one could argue that Ma Long is that player that plays with as much variety as Matsudaira/Waldner and has a stronger looping game.

The problem with creativity is that once people play you enough, all that stuff becomes easy to hit through or return, so you are left relying on fundamental strokes as they are always more consistent and bother the opponent more.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and matzreenzi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I could be wrong but it almost seems to me like some of the people complaining that the modern game is boring are actually complaining that the CNT is too good. If it is fun to watch the top 12 from China but not fun to watch International tournaments where we always know that if the CNT shows up, they will be in the final 3 or 4 spots, that sounds like something different than saying that the sport itself is not fun to watch.

I could be wrong but it almost seems to me like some of the people complaining that the modern game is boring are actually complaining that the CNT is too good. If it is fun to watch the top 12 from China but not fun to watch International tournaments where we always know that if the CNT shows up, they will be in the final 3 or 4 spots, that sounds like something different than saying that the sport itself is not fun to watch.

It's boring watching CNT versus other players because the rallies don't get very fast and intense. Also, the outcome is very predictable. CNT versus CNT is interesting which is why for most tournaments I just watch the finals

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
In my opinion, Ma Lin was the last guy to win a grand slam based on sheer creative genius. When ZJK burst into the scene , I found his banana flicks and reverse pendulums quite unique amd creative. The bigger ball just killed the creativity in the game. People need powerful loops/counter loops now to win and that has curtailed the creativity. Kenta would definitely be top 10 (if not top 5) with older ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In my opinion, Ma Lin was the last guy to win a grand slam based on sheer creative genius. When ZJK burst into the scene , I found his banana flicks and reverse pendulums quite unique amd creative. The bigger ball just killed the creativity in the game. People need powerful loops/counter loops now to win and that has curtailed the creativity. Kenta would definitely be top 10 (if not top 5) with older ball.

You underestimate how much the game has changed as a result of technical and physical evolution. Who played like Kenta with the older ball and was a legit threat to beat the Chinese?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I completely disagree, Ma Long and Kenta are not that different, Ma Long could probably beat Kenta playing a creative game, he just prefers disciplined TT and knows how to execute it better. In fact, one could argue that Ma Long is that player that plays with as much variety as Matsudaira/Waldner and has a stronger looping game.

The problem with creativity is that once people play you enough, all that stuff becomes easy to hit through or return, so you are left relying on fundamental strokes as they are always more consistent and bother the opponent more.

Ok, then I redefine it: Kenta doesn't have the same consistency as CNT players, he usually plays more block, chopblock, deceptive push than the average. Ma Long prefers to use a clear looping game, so his gameplay is more on the power side.
ML can play fancy, tons of chopblocks, etc. but very often he just play basic strokes and win like a Terminator. Kenta's game is strongly based on deceptive pushes, FH flicks, loops and hits with a strange angle.
I have to admit that tricky play has it's limits. But because of it's rareness, it can be very effective..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Waldner like blocking style could still work today imo, the players are just not good enough and need to step up. The question is are the chinese just so strong or are the foreigners just weak right now?

It works until the ball gets hit by you. Ma Long does Waldner type blocking when he is in the mood to do it, the problem is that you can't live and die by it as one the opponent locks onto your balls, you are just target practice.