Long Pimples for Penhold

I play Penhold (RPB) inverted both sides, and started off with a stiff OFF friendship blade I no longer use. I want to use it to learn a Long pimples play similar to Tin Tin Ho, but more defensive: Serve with an inverted rubber, twiddle so FH rubber is now long pimples and use traditional PH fh and bh to block/reverse spin and occasionally rpb loop with the inverted style. I have some old inverted rubbers that will be fine, but know nothing about long pimples. I'm mostly looking for cheap, so probably chinese: globe, Friendship, Galaxy, DHS etc. My main question is do you think I should have a sponge or not and what is legal to play without a sponge? I understand that having the sponge is faster, so considering i'm playing flat hitting/blocking i should have a bit of sponge? what rubber do you recommend?

Yeah wow she's pretty much what I'm going for. She does use short pimples on the other side and I'm not entirely sure why. But it definitely seems like ox is the way forward, and despite it being the seemingly Chinese standard LP, the 388D is super super cheap: I can get it 5 quid a rubber...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Do not get OX!

I've tried this kind of play style. Getting an OX rubber will limit your game to defensive game as it will be very difficult to attack (hit) with an OX rubber on FH. My opponents can easily read my game, RPB attack/LP defense on BH side and almost purely defense on the FH side. And your opponent will mostly attack on your FH side with long balls that will try to push you away from the table which will limit the attacking chances for your LP and force you to make more errors.

What I did is I added a 0.6mm sponge to my LP to provide a little speed and better chances on attacking with LP, but still my game was predictable. So I tried twiddling my inverted rubber and my LP but the drawback is twiddling takes away precious reaction time and due to the vast difference in how LP and inverted rubber plays, I ended up making more mistakes than ususal.

It's not impossible though but takes a lot of practice time. So I ditch that style and ended up as a shakehand chopper.:rolleyes:

Incase you want to really push that play style, I suggest that you get yourself a medium pips rubber with sponge thickness of 1.3-1.5. But if you really want LPs then I suggest, DHS Cloud and Fog 3 1.3mm or Donic Akkadi L2 1.2. I've tried both. DHS C&F3 is more on the attacking side and chopping defense while Donic Akkadi L2 is more one the blocking side due to its almost frictionless nature. Both are cheap rubbers.;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Some folks said she has a 0.5mm sponge but others said no. She almost beat the #2 in the world with the OX/penhold style. It is not the rubber but the person and how much time and desire he/she wants to spend to learn the new techniques. It is not easy, I know. To me it is fun to learn some new tricks. I play pips with and/or without sponge on back hand (I am shake hand) just for such purpose. ( I am a lot better with inverted both sides.)

I'm not looking to develop this play style really. I just think it's interesting/fun. I struggle massively against LP so thought learning it would help me understand its weaknesses. Also, noone plays LP in my club so it'll give others a chance to play against them. An OX rubber costs next to nothing, and I have a blade i'm not using. also want to give SH chopper a try. And I can see what you mean Genre. this is imo why Tin Tin uses medium pips with sponge. flat hitting FH and RPB for backhand almost exclusively. This is very offensive and difficult to play against because she produces far more spin BH than FH.

I've been off the forum for ~2 weeks, busy with work, has suds79 been on? He played the twiddling ph game for iirc 11 years, only a few months ago, he decided to switch to SH.
It says your OX long pips on one side. Are you just using one sided inverted atm? And I got my 388D-1 and gluing it was way easier than people let on. Still have to wait for my hurricane 3 to arrive so I can stick my target national on this blade...started practicing twiddling, it's pretty tricky...

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
It says your OX long pips on one side. Are you just using one sided inverted atm? And I got my 388D-1 and gluing it was way easier than people let on. Still have to wait for my hurricane 3 to arrive so I can stick my target national on this blade...started practicing twiddling, it's pretty tricky...

sadly i butchered my gluing of the OX LP. I put it on for the ermergency bh chop ... it would be rare though that i actually am able to get to my BH side in time as i'm old and slow lol

but the main reason i put it on is to have something on the backside for a little weight as well as comply with the 2 sided alternating color rules ... i've tried a SP with a thin sponge and being a trad PH for ages, i was not used to the weight of the inverted plus a SP... hurt my wrist so i resorted to OX LP

i may twiddle at some point, but my hand/wrist has to be used to the weight of the inverted plus LP or SP. i'm having fun just trying to get back to some semblance of my old trad PH 1-sided inverted game of 30 yrs ago of course factoring in for age.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
A few days ago, I have tried to play Long Pimple one side Cpen. It was for fun but I love it right away !
I used to play LP orthodox grip, for about 20 years, undoubtedly it might explain it ....

Then I play it now, ever twiddling the bat in order to play 1 side, Long pimples or backside.
Hit the ball with LP 1 side seems to be relatively easy, especially with forehand, easier than as orthodox grip.

And of course I start to watch Zhou zintong, her playing with LP is nice to me.

However I prefer to play backside on the other side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
genre, I'm just a big fan of this youtube channel so it's worth a subscribe.

There is another younger guy in glasses that's an inverted/LP twidder who is pretty good also. He's in a good number of videos as well. All in all a good channel to follow if you like this style.