3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Wow good player. What rubbers does he use? I have a feeling its SP-LP combo based on his strokes.

One question, I would like to another layer of sponge underneath my LP. Is it legal? I mean, I will not remove the original sponge just stick up another sponge to it. (Rubbers original sponge is 1.0mm. I'm thinking of adding another 0.6-0.8mm sponge for faster attacks.)

Thanks!

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Wow good player. What rubbers does he use? I have a feeling its SP-LP combo based on his strokes.

One question, I would like to another layer of sponge underneath my LP. Is it legal? I mean, I will not remove the original sponge just stick up another sponge to it. (Rubbers original sponge is 1.0mm. I'm thinking of adding another 0.6-0.8mm sponge for faster attacks.)

Thanks!

I have a better solution for you. If you want faster or easier attacks with your long pips, then you MUST try Dawei 388D-1 on a 1.5 sponge. That's my current setup and I am absolutely convinced it is the best/easiest attacking long pip on the planet.

Dawei 388D-1 is a gripper long pip by nature. Couple that with a pretty thick sponge and I'm tellin you, if you can hit with short pips, you can hit with this rubber pretty much the same way.

I've been practicing at home with TSP Specol Red (that's the name. Not the color) in 2.0 & this Dawei 388D-1 in 1.5 and while I normally play mostly my black attacking rubber (TSP here) on the FH with some twiddles, I think I might play the Dawei on the FH almost full time and simply enjoy the reactions I get when people try to return this thing. No I won't be chop blocking vs topspin like one normally would with a LP. I'm just going to counter through everything back. You can actually do that with this rubber.

Vs topspin, vs backspin. It pretty much doesn't matter. You still stroke the ball basically the same. Just be sure you're a pinch more under the ball on backspin & you're golden.

If you chop-block, you'll reverse the spin (although this isn't the higest reversing rubber ever that's for sure). So you can really do whatever you want. Reverse spin, deaden the ball, counter the spin back if you stroke it good. etc. Lots of options.

I'm sure you can get it several places but I've gotten mine from China-Friend on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dawei-388D-1-Long-Pips-Out-Rubber-Sponge-/251909001661?hash=item3aa6f251bd

If 1.5 is too thick, he has thinner options. Just keep in mind thinner sponge, slightly more reverse, slightly less speed, slightly harder to attack with.

Honestly the biggest difference in how my TSP & this Dawei play is the speed difference. The TSP is a rocket where the Dawei is kinda slow. A nice surprise has been actually how well my RPB is handling with the TSP. Gives me options.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
I also thought of purchasing 388D-1 OX, as I've read in other forums that it's one of the most versatile pips, and put a 1.8-2.0mm sponge on it. But my order from TT11 just arrived last week (Dr. Neubauer Viper Soft 1.0mm). I purchased this rubber because of it's softness which goes well with my balsa blade. It has soft-flex-grippy nibs with thin under sheet that makes it easier to sink in to the sponge when attacking. I can even loop with it.

I don't want to be an EJ and purchase a new rubber while I still have a new one. The thing is, the rubber is great. Allround game is great for this rubber at 1.0mm but attacking (though easy to execute) is a bit slow to my likeness. So I thought of adding sponge thickness.

You might ask why I choose to play with LP if I'm going for speed? I like LPs for attacking because they are much easier to control than SPs and lighter too. And I can shift my game strategy from attack to defense anytime with out adjusting so much mechanics.

In case I replaced my sponge with a thicker one, will it ruin the topsheet? Also how do I remove the sponge or should I even do it? Is it worth it? Or should I just deal with what I have? hmmm...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
colesTT has videos on gluing sponges to rubbers.

http://www.colestt.com/combining-topsheet-and-sponge.php

Never know if you pull of your existing sponge from your topsheet if it'll come off clean or if it'll tear and you'll have a lot of work ahead of you. Honestly if I were just you i'd buy a new LP with the sponge thickness you want when the time comes.

I have noticed the my 388d has some grip. It's pretty annoying because you have to compensate for their spin. Ultimately though, I think it gives ridiculous control over incoming spin. You can't change the direction of the spin, but you can stop the spin which is interesting. And it's still possible to be very deceptive. In match yesterday doubles I blocked a heavily chopped ball and then quickly feinted a massive chop. The opponent was not expecting the topspin at all....

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Something good and bad happend to me today.

The good:

I was experimenting with twiddling today when suddenly my opponent attacked me on my BH side. By instinct I countered it with my RPB with out knowing that my LP is on that side. To my surprise it went in like a bullet with downing effect and my opponent hit the net. Felt good by what I did, I tried to do it again and my opponents have no answer to it. I even made a couple of 11-1 sets against them.

I think I'm keeping this style for a while and try to improve my inverted strokes in FH.

The bad:

My one week old Dr. Neubauer Viper Soft topsheet is having some wrinkles and one side is now dettaching from the sponge. I also found out that they are using glue sheet to stick the topsheet from the sponge, no wonder it's peeling off already. As a penholder with my fingers going anywhere on the rubber, the wrinkles will only get worse. My solution to this is place a kitchen sponge where my fingers are placed. I am also considering buying new sponge and stick it with a real glue.

Poor quality for such expensive rubber.

Last edited:
So I'm reopening the thread for a number of reasons. Firstly, I've decided to give LP ph a go again, and want to encourage discussion in technique but more importantly tactics. Secondly, (I'm on my phone so not bothering with links) I recently saw some play of LP PH twiddler on asiandrum's YouTube channel, look it up. This kid shows a new side of LP ph to me. Heavily twiddle and attacking, not unlike Nomura. He often twiddles 2 or more times in a rally, and at times shows a developing rpb (both attacking inverted and chopping LP).

Also, as a side equipment query, anyone compared 388d1 with sponge to the quattro version?