TT in Germany

This user has no status.
I doubt there is any best city to play table tennis :D In Germany you will find clubs in about every city and even bigger villages, so I don't think you will have to worry about not being able to play. Bigger cities obviously increase the chances of finding people at your level / with the same goals and ambitions. You will probably want to look at the location of student housing in any given city relative to the location of the next playing oppportunity, so that you won't have to travel too long, in which case the biggest cities just might not be the best choice.

But maybe you can find / connect with other TTD members and move to their city and train with them?

All the best, good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well if you can, you should look for a city that has a big club in the upper leagues such as TTBL, 2nd Bundesliga, or below.
The reason for this is that the chances are higher to be able to play everyday. So Düsseldorf would probably be your first address, since they also have the Andro TT-school there, but there are also many other good clubs in other cities.

There are quite a few clubs over here, but some are only open like 2 - 3 times per week.
Also maybe keep in mind that many smaller clubs don:'t have a hall on their own and have to use school or university sportshalls and therefore cannot use the hall as they wish. So another reason for a bigger club that has its own TT-hall.
But there actually is no golden rule to this. A big Club can be much more anonymous and hence also more difficult to find practice partners, whereas in a small club things are more personally and a coach can also take better care of you. So in the end big clubs and small clubs both have their positive and their negative sides. So it also depends on how good you can socialize.

But if you know where you're​ going to study, we should be able to find you a club that fits your needs.
[Emoji106]

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'd suggest selecting the best fit for your study first. Clubs abound, and given the presence of lots of students in a country in which table tennis is not a marginal sport you're bound to find a good club just about anywhere.

As a researcher, I've been deployed now and then a few months in Braunschweig, Frankfurt and Saarbrücken (Nancy, Geneva, …, but that's not Germany). Table tennis in Saarbrücken was awesome. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Obviously education comes first. But in general Düsseldorf is the capitol of table tennis in Germany. The most successful club is here, there are sooo many other clubs in and around Düsseldorf, you got excellent training facilities, there is a huge japanese community in Düsseldorf, you can buy your gear at many shops here etc.

says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
Well if you can, you should look for a city that has a big club in the upper leagues such as TTBL, 2nd Bundesliga, or below.
The reason for this is that the chances are higher to be able to play everyday. So Düsseldorf would probably be your first address, since they also have the Andro TT-school there, but there are also many other good clubs in other cities.

There are quite a few clubs over here, but some are only open like 2 - 3 times per week.
Also maybe keep in mind that many smaller clubs don:'t have a hall on their own and have to use school or university sportshalls and therefore cannot use the hall as they wish. So another reason for a bigger club that has its own TT-hall.
But there actually is no golden rule to this. A big Club can be much more anonymous and hence also more difficult to find practice partners, whereas in a small club things are more personally and a coach can also take better care of you. So in the end big clubs and small clubs both have their positive and their negative sides. So it also depends on how good you can socialize.

But if you know where you're​ going to study, we should be able to find you a club that fits your needs.
[Emoji106]
Hanover , Dortmund , Dusseldorf , or saarbrucken

This user has no status.
If it is for the best beer you should definitely come to the south. Stuttgart or Munich e.g. are both great for studying, playing table tennis on a high level and drinking great beer as well :)

I wholeheartedly agree! The south of Germany is indeed amazing for drinking beer on a high level, at least 2000 SBBR (Southern Bavarian Beer Rating)! Warm memories. ("I bin no net bsoffe solang i am boden liegn ko ohn mi festhoit zmüsse!!") :D

If looking to learn the german language though, one will potentially have a tough time in the southern areas. In this case I (personally) would suggest Hanover or even Düsseldorf.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hanover , Dortmund , Dusseldorf , or saarbrucken

Hahaha. I hope you didn't pick those cities just because of tabletennis...
[Emoji12]

Well the advantage of having big high level clubs in your area is that the overall playing level in the whole area most likely will be higher than if you play in some countryside with not much tabletennis going on.

That being said, quite a few clubs from smaller cities or even smaller towns are playing in the highest leagues, so chances are quite good that even in countryside you will find a decent playing level (maybe with a few exceptions)

But the cities you've chosen so far are pretty good.

Dortmund has a team in 2nd Bundesliga.
Düsseldorf has a TTBL Team.
Saarbrücken has a TTBL Team.
And even Hannover has a team playing in the fourth highest league (Regionalliga).
So it should be quite ok. Once you know the city you can let us know for further help.
[Emoji2]
Hope you gonna like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
For a slightly different perspective - you should pick schools first and then decide which has best TT scene, but only as a tie-breaker. We are talking about your professional career here, and for better or worse, school you went to matters quite a bit...

P.S. I am assuming we are talking about Universities here, not high schools. :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
High level league is also no guarantee of good training environment. I was much happier and had much better training partners in my old club (from KK B till Bezirksliga) and the training was better as well.

Currently I'm playing in a club which plays in the first league. Firstly, we have pretty shitty Joola Plastic balls but we can't do anything about it because Joola is sponsoring the club. Secondly, I'm stuck with playing against Kreisklasse D (lowest league in Germany) because the other players in the club are either way too good/ practice during the day or don't practice at all. The systematic training sessions are also too expensive for me. (15 Euro/Hour for group sessions) compared to 3-4 Euros/hour in my old club for group sessions and I'm not convinced that the trainer has any enthusiasm for helping players who aren't playing at an extremely high level. I'm also not convinced that the technique he's teaching amateurs like me will help us for our respective playing levels.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have played TT in Cologne, Freiburg, close to Frankfurt and in Heidelberg. I am a scientist and most of the times I have been there on business. (Visited Suga once near Frankfurt just for fun though, still remember it, can't wait to come back). These are all fantastic places to study and each time I found more TT options than I could possibly visit and lots of very good and friendly players and great playing conditions. But as someone else said, it is like German beer. You can't go wrong.

Reactions: Suga D and alas26