Incredible Ma Lin First serve

GDP

This user has no status.

GDP

This user has no status.
Feb 2011
First ball definetly hit the net. I've been working on this type of Ghost serve and have been having a really hard time getting it right. Perhaps someone on the forum could explain step by step how the serve is executed. Especially, the contact point on racket and ball. Is the ball struck with a totally flat racket or is the strike actually upwards, where you are almost trying to hit the front of the ball. What are best ways to keep the ball low and fast over the net. Curious if Ma Lin is putting a bit of sidespin on the ball? There's some vids on YouTube on the subject, but they aren't specific enough in my opinion. It's just impossible to tell what Ma Lin is actually doing. Just an incredible serve. Thanks to all! GDP

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
First ball definetly hit the net. I've been working on this type of Ghost serve and have been having a really hard time getting it right. Perhaps someone on the forum could explain step by step how the serve is executed. Especially, the contact point on racket and ball. Is the ball struck with a totally flat racket or is the strike actually upwards, where you are almost trying to hit the front of the ball. What are best ways to keep the ball low and fast over the net. Curious if Ma Lin is putting a bit of sidespin on the ball? There's some vids on YouTube on the subject, but they aren't specific enough in my opinion. It's just impossible to tell what Ma Lin is actually doing. Just an incredible serve. Thanks to all! GDP

very good explanation :)
And chinese tacky rubber makes it possible. Harder to do with Euro/Jap rubber.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

Hey GDP,

Welcome to the site I hope your enjoying everything TableTennisDaily has to offer here :)

Yeah your right this serve is so amazing, its very hard to explain.

One way for me to explain is that Ma Lin contacts the ball so fast but at the same time he is brushing the ball. Thus creating backspin. However with his rubbers, they will grip the hell out of the ball. Ma Lin is also contacting the ball at the optimum point of contact for the ball to get as much backspin as possible. I.e the ball lands at the front of the racquet, which means it has to travel along the racquet getting more spin.

Ma also throws the ball very very high in the air which creates more force on contact.

Plus 10.000 hours of quality practice and you have a world class serve :p

Check out Jun Mizutani doing this serve, you can see the contact point in slow mo..

GDP

This user has no status.

GDP

This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Dan,

Thanks. Love the site. The Mizutani video helps. I'll give it a go this weekend.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
With Ma Lin's serves you can tell that there is not really any sidespin to mention because the ball keeps going pretty much straight back into the net.

In the Mizutani video you can see, towards the end he shows one with sidespin going towards a right handers forehand, and then with sidespin going towards a right hander's backhand. But the first one that goes back into the net, goes pretty much straight back like Ma Lin's.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Dan,

Thanks. Love the site. The Mizutani video helps. I'll give it a go this weekend.

No worries :) ... Let me know how it goes.... If your struggling, upload a video of urself doing the serve and ill try to help.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I explain how to do this serve in another post:

The first thing you need to work on is rotation of ball. Start by hitting the 6-7 o'clock positions on the ball standing and about chest to chin level and make a proper serve. You should notice that if you hit the ball with your sweet spot that you can actually get the ball to bounce twice on the table or even sometimes get it to bounce back over the net to your side. So when you have that down lower your service to around 12 inches above the table and bend your knees so that the serve action is the same as it would be with you standing. Once you have the spin to get it bouncing back over the net or at least bouncing back towards the net you have the proper spin rotation to do the service.

The next thing you have to do is work on speed. By contacting the ball at the top part of the sweet spot you can produce the most spin and speed on the ball to have it bounce twice. When you can generate enough speed and spin on the ball you can fool your opponents into swinging when the ball is actually going to bounce a second time and this'll really get them all psyched out.

The last thing is accuracy. When you serve never aim at a spot to hit on your second bounce (i.e. the other side of the table) this negates the efficiency of your service because you're showing your opponent where you'd like to serve. Instead aim where you want the ball to bounce first. Ideally you want the ball to bounce within the first 12 inches of the table if you can cut it down to 8-10 inches then you've got it made. A lot of developing players serve too slowly or too long because their first bounce is too close to the net or near the middle of their side of the table. You want it to be as close as possible to your baseline which will give it the best chance for bouncing twice on the table with loads of spin and speed. Watch when the Chinese miss their services they'll typically mess up because they actually hit their baseline edges and it'll go flying upward or back.

Hope this helps guys it's a great way to learn service at a higher level and I think it'll teach you guys some great ways to tactically beat your opponents.

The only exception here is that for the ghost service that relies more on spin you would disregard the 8-10 inches of the table near the baseline. You actually want to gave it closer to the net about 12-15 inches away so that when it clears the net it has enough room to come back over it. Regardless the best way to practice this serve is to stand up high to hit the lower part of the ball in an upward motion and then to do the same action but lower your paddle to about 10-12 inches over the table.

Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Jun Mitzutani looked like he did that ghost serve casually without trying. He wouldnt do that serve in a match.

Yeah very true. I know a few top 300 players in the world who can do it with ease... So a top 10 player can probably do it with his eyes closed hehe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk