Attempting the Liu Guoliang Serve Challenge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
So, the last time i saw the Video posted by someone here in TTD throttled my insecurometer over the maximum limit and its time to get back into the field to test the alternative hypothesis. Feel free to comment, I got better ones later in the practice here is the unedited version.

I get feedback all the time on service height and it it little bit difficult to maintain correct height for serves when you are worrying about points. Trying to work on this aspect .

Reactions: fais and shinshiro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Am I supposed to be impressed?

Your friend put the paddle way too high. The paddle was about 7.5 centimeters (about half the net height)above the net.

Also, the paddle is in the wrong spot. It should be more on the server's side, and less on the receiver's side. It's harder Liu Guo Liang's way, and it is waaaaaaayyyy easier the way you're doing it. The ball hits the paddle on the way up, not while it's going down, which is why the paddle goes on the server's side

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

also, make the serve short underspin with quality.
I could probably do this with short no spin, but not with consistently with short underspin.

It's easy to see that you didn't put much spin on the ball.

Not only that, I'm pretty sure that most of your serves didn't actually go under the paddle. Too much to the side of the paddle. So that was a bad attempt.

Your only low serve was your last one. I'll give you credit for that one.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
As others have said - If you were attempting to keep the ball "fairly" low, and simply put it under the bat - You succeeded - Well done.

However, if you served like that in a match, you'd get punished.

Try doing it with backspin, and that will be a weapon in a real match.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, I agree with NDH.

While a lot of the posts noting that the serves are long are correct, it is still not easy to get the ball over the net and under the racket so consistently even if Siva didn't fully understand how fast, short and spinny LGL's serves are.

But who can serve as fast, short and spinny as LGL? Doesn't seem the guys on the CNT back then could do it either.

I can't remember where, but a long time ago, I saw a video where LGL was serving and making the bounce after the net land over and over again on a coin placed a few inches away from the net ok the FH side where they are serving in this LGL video. He hit the coin over and over again: short, low and furiously spinny with that much control is pretty impressive.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Yeah, I agree with NDH.

While a lot of the posts noting that the serves are long are correct, it is still not easy to get the ball over the net and under the racket so consistently even if Siva didn't fully understand how fast, short and spinny LGL's serves are.

But who can serve as fast, short and spinny as LGL? Doesn't seem the guys on the CNT back then could do it either.

I can't remember where, but a long time ago, I saw a video where LGL was serving and making the bounce after the net land over and over again on a coin placed a few inches away from the net ok the FH side where they are serving in this LGL video. He hit the coin over and over again: short, low and furiously spinny with that much control is pretty impressive.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Couldn´t agree more. :)

Isn´t that the Banana dude from Siva´s other vid?
[Emoji2]

BTW: seeing the world upside down seems to be very helpful and slowly but surely is becoming fashionable. Proof? Here!
[EMOJI12]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Am I supposed to be impressed?

Your friend put the paddle way too high. The paddle was about 7.5 centimeters (about half the net height)above the net.

Also, the paddle is in the wrong spot. It should be more on the server's side, and less on the receiver's side. It's harder Liu Guo Liang's way, and it is waaaaaaayyyy easier the way you're doing it. The ball hits the paddle on the way up, not while it's going down, which is why the paddle goes on the server's side

View attachment 12551

View attachment 12550

also, make the serve short underspin with quality.
I could probably do this with short no spin, but not with consistently with short underspin.

It's easy to see that you didn't put much spin on the ball.

Not only that, I'm pretty sure that most of your serves didn't actually go under the paddle. Too much to the side of the paddle. So that was a bad attempt.

Your only low serve was your last one. I'll give you credit for that one.

You are absolutely correct about holding the racket on the other side of the net. I tried to impart more spin with LG like action. And I tried like 5 times and never was the ball able to cross the other side if you hold the racket in that fashion.

But, finally I got one almost as good as LG in terms of height. There was double bounce as well but far away from each other. Then I realised how good you should be to do something like what LG does spontaneously. The funny thing was I thought I recorded that and called it a day.

When I came home, there was no video in my mobile, sometimes this android cams **** with my head, they just cut the video randomly. WTF man, I will try to record it next time :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
LGL one is more difficult than it seemed

this was a fool around video, and now looking back, how many of my balls would hit the bat

That was really cool, actually you were demonstrating 3 ways of doing backspin subconsciously. Did you take a notice of what you were doing in the end?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That was really cool, actually you were demonstrating 3 ways of doing backspin subconsciously. Did you take a notice of what you were doing in the end?

Thanks
I didn't count, but there is way more than 3 types of serves there.
I was showing one of my students all the variation of underspin serve + weight of the ball/power + placement (landing) + bounce (up or forward) and some with side spins (both ways)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Thanks
I didn't count, but there is way more than 3 types of serves there.
I was showing one of my students all the variation of underspin serve + weight of the ball/power + placement (landing) + bounce (up or forward) and some with side spins (both ways)

Wow, didn't know that. I would defintely fall for the fourth serve and something around 0:40. Most times deception kills more than spin.

Many think XX serves are normal for the elite level. But, he mixes things so many ways that it is impossible for players above WR100 to even return it. He is one of the best and underrated when it comes to serve in my opinion

Reactions: bobpuls and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Wow, didn't know that. I would defintely fall for the fourth serve and something around 0:40. Most times deception kills more than spin.

Many think XX serves are normal for the elite level. But, he mixes things so many ways that it is impossible for players above WR100 to even return it. He is one of the best and underrated when it comes to serve in my opinion

Well, this was merely just a display of spin. So I didn't really do deception
Was more for him to see my contact and touch.
He was doing service practice, and I just felt he wasn't adding enough contact onto the ball, so I kind of showed him to get deeper underneath the ball and don't let the ball shot out too quickly

In the higher level, is it pretty much a deception of spin vs no spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Well, this was merely just a display of spin. So I didn't really do deception
Was more for him to see my contact and touch.
He was doing service practice, and I just felt he wasn't adding enough contact onto the ball, so I kind of showed him to get deeper underneath the ball and don't let the ball shot out too quickly

Yeah, but it was good enough to fool me even without any faints. I was cautiously observing why I found it very difficult to make sense of it. The reason was you cut the follow through completely with fast wrist action, it can be both topspin and backspin.

That's quite true. But, the outliers Boll and Samsonov still shine na.