Looking for a Blade recommendation

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
by 550 is ayous ayous limba top ply. It is very light and quite slow with lots of vibrations. A pure looping blade with lots of flex and a nice soft feel. Very very spinny and probably not what you're going for. All avolox blades seem aimed at looping. If you want to develop that part of your game then maybe, but you will definitely get worse before you get better.

Are you sure you have the BT-550 and not the BT-555? I think the 550 is supposed to be Koto and the 555 is supposed to be Limba.

However, it doesn't matter much, the Spruce ply under it is what makes it a blade that wouldn't be so great for what Medax needs for his game.

@Medax, any of the three initial blades I listed would be good for you. If you had a machine random select 1, 2 or 3, you would do just as well as if you try to sort it out "rationally".

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Are you sure you have the BT-550 and not the BT-555? I think the 550 is supposed to be Koto and the 555 is supposed to be Limba.

However, it doesn't matter much, the Spruce ply under it is what makes it a blade that wouldn't be so great for what Medax needs for his game.

@Medax, any of the three initial blades I listed would be good for you. If you had a machine random select 1, 2 or 3, you would do just as well as if you try to sort it out "rationally".

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
100% All the Blue Thunders are Limba tops. BT-555 is as you say Ayous-Spruce-Limba at 5.5mm and P500 is Ayous-Spruce-Koto at 5.8. I am wondering the medial ply of the 550 is spruce not ayous but it's pretty impossible to tell. quite a thick core and then very thin medial and outer. But yes, @Medax I would listen to Carl.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Blade arrived and surprisingly its only 4 grams heavier than my Galaxy 896 & Aurus combination.

Feels to be balanced differently, more towards the head, but maybe that's the 4 grams extra that I am noticing rather than a difference in balance.

1st match with it tomorrow, so see how I go :)

Thanks again all who pointed me in the right direction :) :cool: :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Medax, I didn't see your asking until now, it was on my profile page, not my PM.

Carl said about everything there is to say.

896 with the FH rubber you like and a control rubber on BH is an excellent fallback bat for when you need something to use while you get your broken main bat sorted out. It is also so inexpensive, it is easy to tinker with if you like. The mod I describe should be essential to every hollow handle blade out there.

If you like the 896 bat you have, keep it for a fallback spare.

The bat you ordered should work well and I hope you love it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Medax, I didn't see your asking until now, it was on my profile page, not my PM.

Carl said about everything there is to say.

896 with the FH rubber you like and a control rubber on BH is an excellent fallback bat for when you need something to use while you get your broken main bat sorted out. It is also so inexpensive, it is easy to tinker with if you like. The mod I describe should be essential to every hollow handle blade out there.

If you like the 896 bat you have, keep it for a fallback spare.

The bat you ordered should work well and I hope you love it.

The truth is, the goon squad had Der_Echte fighting a battle that took him on a on a 5 month tour of the USA. So that is really what took him so long to respond to Medax. :)

Reactions: Der_Echte
Hi All,

A quick update 7 months (or so) on from this request for help.....

I went with the spw and I lost quite a few matches in the following 4 months. The problem was that I seemed to be really struggling to adapt to the change in blade, so back to the 896 I went and back to winning ways was the result.

I just couldn't get out of my head the sweet spot that I had understood carbon offered though, but I took into account what everyone said about staying away and I resisted the urge to give it a go. :) That was until someone at a match happened to have a Yinhe pro feeling blade, inner carbon and I just couldn't resist having a shot or three (well 3 matches it turned out in the end ;) ).

Oh man!!!!! the control on this blade was/is absolutely awesome for me, so I took the plunge and bought one of my own to pair with aurus sound FH and gewo proton neo 325 BH (like my old Joola 325's). I can push and drive with ease, I block pretty well (which was a bonus move for me) and get back some blocks that I would normally net. My chop (more like a spinny push to be fair) is dropping just after the net, so nice and short... Winner again :)

The only issue I am having at the moment is top spin... I'm either not getting enough top spin or over hitting by about 10 inches to a foot which I guess is a combination of my bad top spin technique (not enough brush still) and the extra speed from the pro feeling vs the 896 :p

I hope that this time I won't have to change again and be updating this post in 6 months with yet another blade, but so far this has been the best blade change after just 2 weeks that I have been able to adapt to, so I hope its a good sign this time around.

I also hope that my advanced/beginner (not intermediate level yet you will note ;) ) E.J. journey helps out anyone else who finds themselves in such a situation.

All the best.

Last edited:
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hi mate just remember to keep in mind that what ever blade you change to it can take time to adjust so you would almost be expected to lose to players you'd normally beat it will take time to get used to the new blade, if you have used all rounder alot be good idea to try something faster but don't necessarily need to go to carbon, also depends on personal feeling, many friends of mine who are great players don't ask like the same blades, also something with good arc that throws the ball bit higher may be good for use with the new ball

Hi mate just remember to keep in mind that what ever blade you change to it can take time to adjust so you would almost be expected to lose to players you'd normally beat it will take time to get used to the new blade

yep, that certainly happened with the SPW, but then there were games I lost and some that I nearly lost that should NEVER have happened. That is when I realised I had made a mistake and it was not working out !!!

if you have used all rounder alot be good idea to try something faster but don't necessarily need to go to carbon, also depends on personal feeling, many friends of mine who are great players don't ask like the same blades, also something with good arc that throws the ball bit higher may be good for use with the new ball

This is why I liked the Yinhe Pro feeling, its inner layered carbon so not too quick or too big a step for me to make :)

Reactions: RIPPER
One of the issues that some players face when switching to carbon, is the dwell time on top-spin.. especially if you're switching from a 5-ply all wood to the carbon (correct me please if i am wrong, but you switched from 5-ply wood to carbon, correct?)
I am guessing that from 7-ply wood to a 7-ply composite blade the difference is not as big, in terms of dwell time, spin, etc.
Good luck with your switch, hope that you get better in your game.