Ma Long's special serve caught on film!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I like to use that serve at 10:10 or at matchball :) to surprise the opponent. Ofc mine isnt as disduised.

IMO, serving long on match point should generally be avoided. But I an understand the seduction but as you face better players, they show you why pretty quickly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
IMO, serving long on match point should generally be avoided. But I an understand the seduction but as you face better players, they show you why pretty quickly.

Maybe when it's not fast enough or isn't placed well.

A well placed and paced speedy kickserve will also make top players sweat, especially when you can vary top-, side- or no spin and still is a breadwinner for many.
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Maybe when it's not fast enough or isn't placed well.

A well placed and paced speedy kickserve will also make top players sweat, especially when you can vary top-, side- or no spin at all and still is a breadwinner for many.
[Emoji6]

A World class server told me something very different. And what he said was more in line with my general experience. But you are right of course - good serves are good serves and can give good players problems.

I am not saying that one should never serve long or that one should not throw in fast long serves or even use them a lot if the opponent struggles with them. I am saying that most plays will play such balls with their training and without fear and it is often the one thing that most players have been doing long and well enough to act without thinking.

When I used to serve long as a lower rated player, I had this view that oh, the opponent was due to miss one. What you realize is that as players get better, they let the ball come deeper and deeper and they will rarely loop the ball long - they will usually put it on the table and if they feel they can see the ball clearly, they will loop kill it. Their footwork allows them to get anywhere so you can hardly serve faster than they can respond. That's why I try to warn people that above a certain level, you have stop playing critical points as if you expect the opponent to miss or give you a weak ball. Most people who serve long as a surprise tactic are doing that.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
A World class server told me something very different. And what he said was more in line with my general experience. But you are right of course - good serves are good serves and can give good players problems.

I am not saying that one should never serve long or that one should not throw in fast long serves or even use them a lot if the opponent struggles with them. I am saying that most plays will play such balls with their training and without fear and it is often the one thing that most players have been doing long and well enough to act without thinking.

When I used to serve long as a lower rated player, I had this view that oh, the opponent was due to miss one. What you realize is that as players get better, they let the ball come deeper and deeper and they will rarely loop the ball long - they will usually put it on the table and if they feel they can see the ball clearly, they will loop kill it. Their footwork allows them to get anywhere so you can hardly serve faster than they can respond. That's why I try to warn people that above a certain level, you have stop playing critical points as if you expect the opponent to miss or give you a weak ball. Most people who serve long as a surprise tactic are doing that.

I have to agree. Doing this permanently will take away the surprise.
But Thomas K. showed me that you can vary also those kickserves (that's how we call them over here by adding or changing the spin, so it's not only the tempo or the placement but also the level of disguise.
With that variation it's much harder to just shoot through the serve.
I guess if they wouldn't work people wouldn't practice them to be able to do them in a match. But of course one needs to have a good ball quality, but that can be practiced.
Lars Hielscher just made a vid about this.

Last edited:
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
well spotted
TTD, maybe it isn't morally correct to support this video then?

Hi Tony, completely agree. We have changed the first post to the original video. We hadn't realised Ma Long FanMade was ripping from there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
When i saw the video yesterday it showed ma longs serve hitting the ball with the backhand.Taking a look today i only see him hitting with forehand. Anyone know where i can see the video from yesterdays first post? Thank you

Updated: YES! Ma Long is VERY talented :) Forehand & Backhand!
Youtube counterfeiter (FAKE NEWS = MALONG FanMade Channel)
PLEASE FOLLOW & GIVE RESPECT FOR THE WORK DONE BY: Yunpeng Guo from PingPangWang

When i saw the video yesterday it showed ma longs serve hitting the ball with the backhand.Taking a look today i only see him hitting with forehand. Anyone know where i can see the video from yesterdays first post? Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Look at Ma Long's special serve! You will need to see the slow motion to see the special contact! Imagine doing this in an Olympic final! :)

thank you Dan :) for spotting the right source!
the guy of Ma Long fanmade channel has stolen many videos from pingpangwang and shifu. :)
You should also fix this thread "https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?15135-Ma-Long-s-backhand-against-a-chopper!". The ML fanmade channel has stolen from glili.

It's a pity that everyone cites his videos without a proper credit to the original source :(
I've made a video to present the channel of coach shifu and revealed that the MLfanmade channel has stolen videos.