Does lacquering the blade effect its performance?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have a nittaku acoustic blade which is known for feel but it has limba outer plys so if i dont seal, it splinter when i take rubbers off. But if i do seal, then it will have less feeling which is not what i want. Anyone can help me with this? I am thinking that I should only seal the outer edges/rim of the blade, this way i will still have feeling in centre, but it may be inconsistent shots, what do i do?
You asked this same question in a different thread. I answered you there. Have a look.

Also, blade sealing does not make the blade feel duller. But the water from the water based glue, if you change your rubbers a few times a year, that will cause the wood to feel duller since you are actually pouring WATER (part of the Water Based Glue) onto the blade face.

I have a nittaku acoustic blade which is known for feel but it has limba outer plys so if i dont seal, it splinter when i take rubbers off. But if i do seal, then it will have less feeling which is not what i want. Anyone can help me with this? I am thinking that I should only seal the outer edges/rim of the blade, this way i will still have feeling in centre, but it may be inconsistent shots, what do i do?
I have said this in many threads but here goes again.
Always strip the rubber from side to side and NOT top to bottom. The reason for this is that wood is stronger across the grain and on a blade the grain runs from top to bottom.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

Nittaku "Racket Protect" is the only wax based designated blade sealing product I know. (Instructions are only in Japanese unfortunately). Nittaku formulated it to be lightly absorbed by the wood grain instead of coating, thus hardening it. If you are lacquering/varnishing a thin wood veneer with a type of sealant that hardens when it dries and forms a thin coat I cannot see how it will not affect the property of the blade, however slight. Most people are probably not likely notice the effect. In fairness, the veneer will be affected by some wax absorption too with Nittaku product though. Some more interesting details on the topic / Nittaku wax in the below discussion. I have pulled a quote from it here; "CW Smith of BladesByCharlie.com would disagree with this. He purposely uses a penetrating non-hardening proprietary sealer on all his blades because coatings like polyurethane harden as they dry and change the characteristics of the topmost wooden layer of the blade. This hardening effect is most noticeable in a blade that has been purposefully designed to have a soft top layer. So think twice before you alter your blade with common off-the-shelf coatings".
https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24315&p=276234