Does lacquering the blade effect its performance?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Hi all,
On my Stiga Infinity VPS V, I had the blade lacquered and my rubber feels softer than normal. It also plays a little weird. I just wanted to know whether it's inconsistent quality from Andro or the lacquer.
Thanks

Tough and weird question, lacquering always changes the feeling of the external wood surface, not the rubber unless you have done something teriibly wrong. The expected result should be taht you feel the blade a bit harder with less feedback than before. You should change rubber to be sure or make a test with another vps v and same rubbers to be 100 % accurate on what is going on

Reactions: Suga D and bobpuls
well I didn't put the lacquer. I had the racket pre-assembled and lacquered by TT11. Maybe it's cuz the lacquer and/or glue is fresh. I mean on my partner's blade he has Rasant Grip on both sides and the black has more power and spin and it's slightly harder. (TT11 assembled it etc) So maybe rubber is different i don't know.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Sometimes you get a bad glue job with sealed or laquered blades. The blade surface is less porous so less adhesion because glue can't penstrate. Then you can get air pockets underneeth and the rubber feels mushy and soft. Or the rubber pegins to detach around outside of the blade. I am almost certain this is what happened to ypur blade.. I dont seal blades anymore to avoid that. But I use glues that dont shred the top of the wood.

Reactions: TTFrenzy and Suga D
Sometimes you get a bad glue job with sealed or laquered blades. The blade surface is less porous so less adhesion because glue can't penstrate. Then you can get air pockets underneeth and the rubber feels mushy and soft. Or the rubber pegins to detach around outside of the blade. I am almost certain this is what happened to ypur blade.. I dont seal blades anymore to avoid that. But I use glues that dont shred the top of the wood.

Yeah I just checked and its mainly feelin soft around the edges so should I reglue the rubber?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Placebo: look it up. You will find out what a placebo effect is. It will be in your computer's dictionary.

Sealed blade. Blade sealing, done well has very little effect on the blade's playing characteristics. It will have some, but done well, not much. Done by someone who does not know what they are doing it has more of an effect. If TT11 sealed your blade, they probably know what they are doing. So it is likely that Baal is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
If the ruber is a little loose or unusually soft around the edges, for sure it is the glue job. It happens a lot with lacquer or sealers, especially with thick-pored sponge which can be a little tougher to attach. You can try regluing, but I suggest very light sanding first.

If the ruber is a little loose or unusually soft around the edges, for sure it is the glue job. It happens a lot with lacquer or sealers, especially with thick-pored sponge which can be a little tougher to attach. You can try regluing, but I suggest very light sanding first.

so where would I sand it? Remove the rubber first? Sand the edges that are loose.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Remove the rubber. Very lightly sand the whole blade surface. Reglue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I have a nittaku acoustic blade which is known for feel but it has limba outer plys so if i dont seal, it splinter when i take rubbers off. But if i do seal, then it will have less feeling which is not what i want. Anyone can help me with this? I am thinking that I should only seal the outer edges/rim of the blade, this way i will still have feeling in centre, but it may be inconsistent shots, what do i do?