Players income in 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The 2017 ITTF World Tour started in mid-January and some tournaments already took place. We have written an article titled: "2017 ITTF World Tour: How much will Ma Long & Company make". It's an analysis about the estimated amounts of money that some of the top players could earn this season.

The new ITTF World Tour has two tournament categories: ITTF Platinum and ITTF World Tour tournaments, which have two main differences:

• The points allocated for the ITTF World Tour Standings, that ultimately serve to qualify for the ITTF Grand Finals
  • The prizes, which has some minimum and maximum amounts for each category and player result

The locations:

map.jpg

The calendar of events is:

dates.jpg

The estimated amounts of money for several players are:

Ma Long

malong.jpg

Ding Ning

dingning.png

Fan Zhendong

fanzhendong.png

Liu Shiwen

liushiwen.png

Mima Ito

mimaito.jpg

Vladimir Samsonov

samsonov.png
Other sports

Comparing the earnings to other single's sports like golf or tennis reveals that our sport is far away from their numbers. As an example, Novak Djokovic reached $21.8 million last season, Garbiñe Muguruza $4.6 million, Jason Day $8 million and Brooke Henderson $1.7 million.

Full article

You can find the full article at ZoomTT.com: https://zoomtt.com/2017/01/08/2017-ittf-world-tour-how-much-money-will-ma-long-company-make/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I don't know how it is in golf or tennis, but table tennis players are also earning money by playing in the leagues. Often more than one.

That's true, in fact in the article is said that Ma Long was supposed to be earning $250.000 a couple of years ago. That would still be far from the amount they make in other sports though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Why would anyone would sit and watch pro tours? Damn TT is so small in money and viewership , that even money laundering does not worth it.

Personally I really enjoyed the live commentary in USA events and although the playing level is not top notch, even a random viewer who knows 0 about TT can learn and enjoy . Its not always about the west vs chinese winning/dominating and the suspense.

It is about making the product viewable comprehensible and enjoyable.

Seriously we could all gather some money and donate them to ITTF to get a f00king camera and video montage lessons

p.s. the problem with this world in general is that it is run by very old people. And I dont mean only age :p but mentality mostly

Last edited:
Reactions: Xanderngzien
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
I heard interview with Mizutani for japanese tv on youtube and he said that he earns around $1.000.000 per season. Of course probably only chinese players and maybe Ovtcharov earn also that much, and it is still less than in other sports

Ishikawa and Fukuhara earns several times more as well. Though it's through sponsorships and TV deals.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
As far as I know, they set a minimum and maximum amount of money that the tournament organizers must offer to apply for them. Then, the ITTF chooses between all the options.

My guess is that the current prizes are the ones that can be afforded by sponsors, so not much to improve.. unless table tennis becomes more trendy and the value raises.

This user has no status.
I heard interview with Mizutani for japanese tv on youtube and he said that he earns around $1.000.000 per season. Of course probably only chinese players and maybe Ovtcharov earn also that much, and it is still less than in other sports

If I remember correctly, Mizutani said in the interview that he has a net worth of a little over 1,000,000. I do not believe anyone but the Chinese can make over 1 mil per season.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
If I remember correctly, Mizutani said in the interview that he has a net worth of a little over 1,000,000. I do not believe anyone but the Chinese can make over 1 mil per season.

Yes I remember ZJK 's income was 8.7 million dollars in 2016 , The 2nd athlete in china and 1st in table tennis , but Generally athlete's income in china is unknown unfortunately . Japan supporting Table tennis more than any time and I've seen some ads by japan team members , So it appears that Japan team get good money too

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
yes, table tennis players are earning huge amount of money now. probably more than other sports man.

Sorry guys. It seems you guys have been fooled over and over again. This is a spammer and may be a bot. Starkcasey has necromanced several old threads and nobody has noticed. And as soon as he/she/it was able to post links, it was posting links to body building, fitness sites. The links were contained in words of quotes from others. As though he didn't make the link.

So many of you responded to these threads as though they were live and not old dead threads. Kind of entertaining. You guys need to look at the dates of posts and threads better. Also, when comments do not fit the context of a thread, it is a giveaway. :)

Reactions: ping fun and Suga D