Interview with Englands Liam Pitchford 2011 and 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Below is an interview 10Bet asked me to conduct with England sensation Liam Pitchford within the last week, if you scroll further down you can see i asked liam the same questions in 2011 when he was just making a name for himself, it makes an interesting read to see how things have changed for him.

Full Name; Liam Benjamin Pitchford
Date Of Birth; 12.07.1993
Place Of Birth; Chesterfield
Height; 185cm
Club(s): Hennebont

GETTING TO KNOW Liam Pitchford

First off thanks for answering these questions for the fans, You suffered a recent injury in the match vs Netherlands, how is it?

Its on the mend, i have been seeing physio and haven't been able to practice as normal but we are confident i will be back to full fitness soon.

Most famous person on your mobile 6 years ago you answered Gavin Evans, im sure things have changed since then?

Haha yeah just a bit. i don't really have many contacts in my phone I'm more active on social media so its difficult to say.

what’s guaranteed to make you mad?

Liverpool losing at football

Your favourite hobby outside of Table Tennis?

I like to play golf when i get the chance but it doesn't happen so often

Best place you’ve ever been too?

I really like Singapore, we were there for a training camp before the Worlds in Malaysia so that obviously made it much nicer after the results we had.

You can see through social media you’re a big Liverpool fan do you ever go to Anfield? Whats your hopes for them for the rest of the season?

I am, i have been ever since i was small because my dad is a big fan as well. Ive been to Anfield 4 or 5 times, i would like to go more often but its difficult to find time. I hope they can get top 4 and qualify for the champions league, they've been a bit too up and down against the lower teams this season so it will not be easy.

(Bet on Liverpool to make the top 4 or not here)

Favourite television program ?
Game of Thrones hands down.

Who was/Is your favourite Sportsman, You previously answered Lance Armstrong, was it a huge let down for you when he made his confession?
It was because i really admired his fight and determination so it was a slight shock when it all came out.

Best film ever?
Law Abiding Citizen probably. its one of those that i could watch 10 times and still really enjoy it.

What song would you sing on Stars in their eyes?
Im not a good singer so i don't think i would haha maybe i would sing an ed sheeran song, i like his new album

What’s your signature dish?
I dont think I've cooked enough to have a signature dish

Favourite drink?
Milk

Do you have any other talents?
Not that i know of

Are you superstitious? Do you have any superstitions?
No not really, just sometimes when i play i have to do the same things at the change of ends like put my racket the same way up as the previous set but nothing big.

Career questions

You have had some highs in your short career so far, what was the best moment?
It would have to be the bronze medal in Malaysia. we went there with a goal to just stay up really, we took advantage of some injuries to the german team and got through the group and we just got in a flow and played some really good table tennis, it was pretty special as i don't think anyone thought it possible.

What was the lowest moment?
The most disappointed i have been is probably after the mixed doubles final in Glasgow at the commonwealths, i had just lost in the mens semis 4/3 to Gao Ning and was desperate to win my first gold after 2 silvers before that, we ended up losing 3/2 so it was a low moment for me.

When you were interviewed years ago you had just won commonwealth silver and National Championships silver, are you happy with the titles you have won since then on a personal level?
Yeah I'm happy, of course everyone strives to want more and win every match but overall especially with the World champs medal and commonwealth medals its been good and hopefully there is more to come.

It was always clear that you had a talent for table tennis, but you seemed to have a rapid rise to become one of the best seniors in the country and then a force to be reckoned with in world TT, how did that happen?
Well when i was just coming through we still had funding and the centre in Sheffield was doing really well, so when i finished my exams at 16 i chose to move there and practice full time. Liu Jiayi was the coach and he really helped me and i had players like Paul to look up to so it really drove me on and made me improve.

Obviously Table tennis has provided a great life for you, but do you ever feel like you missed out on doing things that friends and family were doing but you couldn’t because you were an athlete or away from home?[1]
No not at all, i knew this was what i wanted to do so i never think that i have missed out on anything because i have had some amazing opportunities and been to some amazing places meeting amazing people along the way.

Who’s been the biggest influence on your career?
My Parents for all they sacrificed when i was young and still do now. Technical wise i would say Jiayi, i loved being in the hall with him.

You have competed in 2 Olympics and had a lot of tv coverage due to the World Championships, do you find yourself getting recognised by people now?
Occasionally it happens but table tennis still isn't mainstream in England. in some ways its good because you don't get disturbed doing general things like some of the bigger names do but it would be nice for table tennis to be higher up in the pecking order.

How do you cope with more people recognising you, and having a new found popularity?
I just try to be the same guy as i was before, like i said it doesn't happen so often so its not so difficult.

Where do you see yourself in say, four years time?
good question, i hope to be playing at an better level than i am now and competing to win more and more medals.

(Want to bet on any of liams future international tournaments check out the odds on 10Bet)

Whilst on the topic of the future, let’s move forward 15 years time. Do you still wish to be involved in Table Tennis or do you see yourself in a different career?
I have never known anything other than table tennis so i will probably be involved in some way or another but it would be nice to experience something different also.

Team Mates

Who is the biggest moaner?
That would probably have to be me haha

The hard man of the group?
not sure, difficult to answer that one

Who’s the quickest?
On the table definitely Paul.

Most talented?
going to have to say Paul again, it doesn't matter what we do he's always good at it

The joker/ funny man?
David Mcbeath, i love his humour

Who’s got the best banter?
I think me, paul and dave have the same humour so we are the ones usually dishing out the banter

Most intelligent?
Danny Reed i would say

Worst taste in music?
Sam Walker has some strange choices when it comes to choosing songs to have on in the dressing room

Worst dress sense?
there have been some pretty strange dress senses during my time in europe i couldn't possibly name only one

Best and worse nicknames?
We have a few for each other but i don't think they are appropriate for on here

Who do you share with in hotels abroad?
I normally share with Paul

Do they have any annoying habits?
No not that i can think of, he could probably come up with plenty that i have though

Full Name; Liam Benjamin Pitchford
Date Of Birth; 12/07/1993
Place Of Birth; Chesterfield
Height; 178cm
Club(s): FC Tegernheim (Germany)
GETTING TO KNOW Liam Pitchford
Most famous person on your mobile?
No one really, probably Gavin Evans haha.
what’s guaranteed to make you mad?
Losing at any type of game especially Call Of Duty.
Your favourite hobby outside of Table Tennis?
That’s a tough one but I spend a lot of time on the Playstation so it would have to be that.
Best place you’ve ever been too?
Hong Kong or Colombia.
Favourite television programs?
Family Guy or Misfits.
Who was/Is your favourite Sportsman?
Lance Armstrong because of his determination and dedication.
Best film ever?
The Shawshank Redemption.
What song would you sing on Stars in their eyes?
The Beatles - Let it Be.
What’s your signature dish?
I don’t really cook the best I do is heat up some pasta.
Favourite drink?
Rubicon Passion fruit.
Do you have any other talents?
There’s too many to think of haha!

Career questions
You have had some highs in your short career so far, what was the best moment?
My win against Gao Ning at the commonwealths was a nice feeling but just being able to step on the podium was probably the best moment.
What was the lowest moment?
Losing in the semis of singles at the cadet Europeans in Terni.
Do you feel pride that at such a young age you have a silver medal in both the commonwealth games and the English national championships or disappointment that is was only silver and not gold?
Obviously it was disappointing but I looked a lot at my game after nationals and had time to work on it and at the commonwealths I think I was a different player, I was a little disappointed after the team final but when we were on the podium it just felt amazing.

It was always clear that you had a talent for table tennis, but you seemed to have a rapid rise to become one of the best seniors in the country, how did that happen?
I work hard and always believe in myself.
As you have been so dedicated to table tennis do you ever feel you missed out on a social life or growing up like a "normal" kid?
I had quite a normal life until I was 16 because I was still in full time education so it was not too bad but now I am used to not having a lot of social time because of full time Table Tennis.
Who’s been the biggest influence on your career?
Colin Deaton was a great help and his wife Sandra still is, unfortunately he couldn’t be here to see me in the England senior team, he will be greatly missed. I also have my parents to thank for all the travelling they put in, in my early career playing 4 stars.
You have had the massive victory with Gao Ning live on BBC, do you find yourself getting recognised by people now?
When I am at home I get recognized sometimes but not anywhere outside of chesterfield as of yet.
How do you cope with more people recognising you, and having a new found popularity?
It’s nice to be recognised but I am not that big yet so im still fully focused on improving.
Where do you see yourself in say, four years time?
I see myself still playing at a high level and I am aiming to keep moving up the world rankings and possibly ill be inside the top 50 by then.
Whilst on the topic of the future, let’s move forward 15 years time. Do you still wish to be involved in Table Tennis or do you see yourself in a different career?
I would hope to see myself still involved in table tennis.
If you still see yourself involved in Table Tennis what do you see yourself doing?
I would only be 32 so hopefully i could still be playing to a high level, if not i would like to go to coaching.
Team Mates (you can include the girls or just anyone at sheffield Darius said Rumgay for some answers etc)
Who is the biggest moaner?
Darius haha he can moan about everything
The hard man of the group?
Gavin Evans or so he thinks
Who’s the quickest?
On the table possibly me and in sprinting Paul Drinkhall
Most talented?
Paul Drinkhall he’s very sporty.
The joker/ funny man?
Gavin Rumgay with his funny banter.
Most intelligent?
Danny reed academically, me on sport knowledge.
Worst taste in music?
Gavin Evans and Chris Doran.
Worst dress sense?
Chris Doran with his jeans and asics trainers.
Worst dancer?
Chris Doran just stands there like a tree.
Best and worse nicknames? Spidda (David Mcbeath) and Sheepy (Gavin Evans) are my favourites.

Who do you share with in hotels abroad?
it depends who is playing, when im playing in junior tournaments normally Gavin Evans.
Do they have any annoying habits?
He rocks his head side to side when going to sleep quite loudly which can get irritating.
Thank you Liam and i wish you the best of luck in the future.
Id also like to thank 10Bet for the opportunity to interview Liam

[1]