24 minutes per game

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Hi all,

I've just came across with this weird news.
http://www.rp-online.de/sport/ander...-weitreichende-regelaenderungen-aid-1.6707273

In the upcoming games that will take place in Hong Kong there will be a time limit per one game - 24 minutes. And mister ittf presedent
says that "We will follow this pilot effort very closely, maybe the time is something that can also happen in ITTF tournaments." (according to google translator :D) Who knows may be very soon we will see more changes that make our sport "more attractive"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
They really have to stop adjusting tabletennis for TV!

That's an interesting perspective - I would like to hear how exactly would you come up with money for the sport then? Most of major sports revenue comes from sales of broadcast rights: football (the round one), basketball, tennis, golf, baseball, NFL etc.

Yes, there are other options: ticket sales (ever watched TT in large stadium?), merchandise licensing, naming rights, sponsorship etc., but TV is by far the most important, I think. Even if you find a sponsor willing to pony up prize money for a major tournament, they want exposure, and TV brings it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Most likely an effort to appeal to TV broadcasters - as a coincidence (or may be not...) , 24 minutes is average amount of actual content in 30-min TV show, the rest is commercials.

Nice observation. I don't believe it to be coincidence. The ad breaks would obviously happen between sets and during time-outs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
That's an interesting perspective - I would like to hear how exactly would you come up with money for the sport then? Most of major sports revenue comes from sales of broadcast rights: football (the round one), basketball, tennis, golf, baseball, NFL etc.

Yes, there are other options: ticket sales (ever watched TT in large stadium?), merchandise licensing, naming rights, sponsorship etc., but TV is by far the most important, I think. Even if you find a sponsor willing to pony up prize money for a major tournament, they want exposure, and TV brings it.

You have a point, but setting a time limit so it fits in with commercials is a few bridges too far in my book.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
You both have a point here. I understand Mr. Tom, 'cause all rule changes that were implemented were done for the sake of more TV Time. And what has happened? TV Air time even got less, so i totally understand everyone that says: fuq it.
But pgpg is kinda right though as well, 'cause TV really is the most powerful tool to reach a bigger audience and it would help to get it out of the niche.

Reactions: mr. tom
says Aging is a killer
Hi all,

I've just came across with this weird news.
http://www.rp-online.de/sport/ander...-weitreichende-regelaenderungen-aid-1.6707273

In the upcoming games that will take place in Hong Kong there will be a time limit per one game - 24 minutes. And mister ittf presedent
says that "We will follow this pilot effort very closely, maybe the time is something that can also happen in ITTF tournaments." (according to google translator :D) Who knows may be very soon we will see more changes that make our sport "more attractive"

Nothing wrong with 24mins per match especially if timeouts are banned. (I assume that you meant per match not per game)
Dig into how TT tournaments are set out, you'll notice that organisers plan on each individual best of five match averaging 20minutes. That's why they hate those darn defenders as they muck up the schedule.
So 24mins with no timeouts and perhaps no deuce games, will allow enough breaks for commercials.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
yes the rest amount of time i.e 6 minutes would be for commercials. they have to earn money as well in order to run!

Sorry guys. It seems you guys have been fooled over and over again. This is a spammer and may be a bot. Starkcasey has necromanced several old threads and nobody has noticed. And as soon as he/she/it was able to post links, it was posting links to body building, fitness sites. The links were contained in words of quotes from others. As though he didn't make the link.

So many of you responded to these threads as though they were live and not old dead threads. Kind of entertaining. You guys need to look at the dates of posts and threads better. Also, when comments do not fit the context of a thread, it is a giveaway. :)