Dimitrij Ovtcharov happy with the new DHS ABS ball!

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
But when are we going to get the levels of spin we had with the Cball? If ever?
THAT is a game changer. When people stop murdering a loaded backspin serve...

Never. Easy answer.

The reason is the slightly larger diameter (and with it the weight) of the 40+ ball compared to celluloid. It is just the physics of the thing. And you are right, it has definitely made it a lot easier to attack even very short serves, especially with the newest plastic balls that bounce higher (exactly the same as celluloid, now). Server has less of an advantage now than at any time in last 25 years.

By the way, that quite clearly was ITTF intention all along, even though they will never admit it. The switch to plastic away from celluloid was justified to players on the basis of issues surrounding celluloid production.

But ITTF could have left in place the ball size allowances for what they would approve (in which most 40 mm balls were actually only a little over 39 mm, whereas now they are all over 40, often between 40.1 and 40.5 mm). Most of the plastic balls now are around 2.76 grams (one very notable exception is Nittaku Premium, which is 2.68 grams). Nearly all of the celluloid balls were around 2.65 -2.68 grams. From those simple facts about size and weight, the 40+ balls will not spin as much as celluloid.

This is our new reality. We have to adapt to it.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Nah.
Maybe let's hope for Saive. Not saying he's the messiah, but he could turn things back again.
Because if a rule change was proven to be needless or wrong, it MUST be taken back IMHO.

Not after the companies have invested that much into developing and producing these new plastic balls. What, now they are going to be told, "sorry, false alarm"??

Actually the concern about celluloid production was legitimate. It is a dangerous material, there were deadly fires in factories and Chinese lives matter. (Factory workers). The so called "impending halt of celluloid production" that Sharara talked about may have been distinctly exaggerated, but there is no question that the ball companies no longer wish to be in the business of producing celluloid balls. Now that they now longer need to, they will stop, no matter what ITTF says.

The only thing that could conceivably happen is that ITTF would allow these new balls to return to the previous 39.3 mm size. The increase size and weight was something ITTF wanted because they like the results in terms of resulting play. I think they probably like it that servers no longer have such a big advantage. It is a feature, not a bug. But again, now that ball factories are settled into how to make a decent ball in a particular size range, they don't want to have to be made to go back and again refine their production methods. And in general players like Dima are happy with the new ABS balls. I like them. Most people like them. I suspect Saive likes them.

We have to adapt. Saive or Weikert or the Tooth Fairy, it's not going back. The idea that an international sports federation that answers to no one except themselves HAS to go back? Nope. Plus, will Saive even win?

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I suppose this ball is the same one Liu Guoliang talked about here? https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...-Plastic-Ball!

If so, i think it's good to have cheap quality balls, but increasing speed while decreasing spin doesn't convince me at all... Is this ball really going to produce less spin?? Based on what some of you said here, it is quite similar to Nittaku's ball, so I'm quite confused right now. Anyway, I'm willing to try it in my club.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Getting more consistency and cheaper prices is good. But when are we going to get the levels of spin we had with the Cball? If ever?
THAT is a game changer. When people stop murdering a loaded backspin serve...

I think it's fair to point out that the new ball is bigger. Lets say material never changed and we still had celluloid. Even in that case the spin would be slightly decreased because of the ball size.

So to answer your question if we are ever going to get to the level of spin as it was before? It's never.

However I don't think for the 99.9% of us who are not pros this is such a huge difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Not after the companies have invested that much into developing and producing these new plastic balls. What, now they are going to be told, "sorry, false alarm"??

Actually the concern about celluloid production was legitimate. It is a dangerous material, there were deadly fires in factories and Chinese lives matter. (Factory workers). The so called "impending halt of celluloid production" that Sharara talked about may have been distinctly exaggerated, but there is no question that the ball companies no longer wish to be in the business of producing celluloid balls. Now that they now longer need to, they will stop, no matter what ITTF says.

The only thing that could conceivably happen is that ITTF would allow these new balls to return to the previous 39.3 mm size. The increase size and weight was something ITTF wanted because they like the results in terms of resulting play. I think they probably like it that servers no longer have such a big advantage. It is a feature, not a bug. But again, now that ball factories are settled into how to make a decent ball in a particular size range, they don't want to have to be made to go back and again refine their production methods. And in general players like Dima are happy with the new ABS balls. I like them. Most people like them. I suspect Saive likes them.

We have to adapt. Saive or Weikert or the Tooth Fairy, it's not going back. The idea that an international sports federation that answers to no one except themselves HAS to go back? Nope. Plus, will Saive even win?

Maybe you´re right, i don´t know. My money tells me that as long people are buying them (C-Balls), factories will keep makin ´em. We shall see. And wouldn´t a change back to 40mm or even 38mm(cell-free) also mean they could even make MOARR money? Just a thought [Emoji6]

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Seemed like Ovtcharov didn't like the balls at the China Open. Which ball were they using?

Why did you think Ovtcharov didn't like the balls at China open? Photo or quote from him saying so?

Ovtcharov seems to be sponsored by Donic, and Donic has some sort of close relation with DHS. This should also contribute to why he said what he said about D40+
( not clear, simply gossip)

Last edited: