says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Over the last few weeks fans have been speculating who will be the next Chinese National Team coach. Will Liu Guoliang remain, or will another member of the CNT take over? Wang Hoo... Ma Lin? 3 days ago the China Table Tennis Association released their coaching team over the next 4 year period until the 2020 Tokyo Olympics!

liuguoliang2017.jpg

Liu Guoliang appointed Head Coach of the CNT! Photo: ITTF Flickr

China National Team Coaching Staff:

Head Coach: Liu Guoliang
Men’s Team Head Coach: Qin Zhijian
Men’s Team Coaches: Liu Guozheng, Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Liu Heng, Ma Junfeng
Women’s Team Head Coach: Kong Linghui
Women’s Team Coaches: Xiao Zhan, Li Sun, Chen Bin, Zhang Qin, Huang Haicheng

Ma Long's former coach Qiu Zhijian has now moved into the role of the Men's Team Head Coach which Liu Guoliang use to control. Liu Guoliang has been appointed head coach of the whole Chinese National Team and will oversee the whole squad. Zhang Jike's former coach Xiao Zhan has been appointed team coach of the women's team. Kong Linghui remains head coach of the women's national team.

To the delight of many table tennis fans across the globe, we will now see legends Ma Lin and Wang Hao much more often now they are on the board as player and team coaches of the men's team! Which players will Wang Hao and Ma Lin control?

Liu Guoliang wants to strength and toughen the CNT!

In an article by Sina News Liu Guoliang said how he will now be more involved in the promotion, development and administrative work of the CNT and table tennis as a whole while Qin Zhijian will be doing the actual coaching of Men's A Team. In the past Liu Guoliang holds the two position in one and has been doing it all. This has put to much pressure on Liu as coaching the Mens Team was taking up most of his time. After the success in Rio, many started to worry about the CNT getting soft with players' for example players frequent involvement in show business. Liu Guoliang expressed, "The key purpose of founding the Chinese National Team is to win for the country, this is the first wish, which requires us all to have a rigorous system. From now on, for the team to get back to our glorious tradition, we have to be strict in rules using an iron fist. We must have a strict team atmosphere and discipline in the management, and to treat everyone equal." The new team's number one goal is to beat Japan in the 2020 Olympic Games as they are definitely a real threat to China. Liu Guoliang has said he would rather see Ma Long and Fang Bo team up with Germany in doubles and help them get a medal at this years World Championships than letting Japan win. Liu Guoliang said, as the newly Head Coach, he will accept the first punishment if China fail in 2020.

What do you think of the new coaching staff of the Chinese National Team?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Who the hell is Qin Zhijian. He only won double titles...for me its a big surprise.
Also wang hao and ma lin. of course they were absolutely great players but i can't imagine them as coaches from fan zedonh or fan bo (penholder vs. shakehand...).
but actually it doesn't care who is the coach from the best playes of the world. they will win anyway:-(

This user has no status.
Who the hell is Qin Zhijian. He only won double titles...for me its a big surprise.
Also wang hao and ma lin. of course they were absolutely great players but i can't imagine them as coaches from fan zedonh or fan bo (penholder vs. shakehand...).
but actually it doesn't care who is the coach from the best playes of the world. they will win anyway:-(

There's an article about him http://tabletennissbsbb.blogspot.com...hat-tells.html.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
The allocation of A Team Men coaches is announced. Liu Guozheng is the new coach of ZJK. Ma Lin is now coaching Ma Long. FZD is under Wang Hao as expected and Xu Xin remain under his old master Wu Jingping for another 2 years. Somehow I think Wang Hao or Ma Lin can help Xu Xin more but he might have other thoughts. Something personal I guess. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TableTennisDaily
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
I must say I have not seen the new Head Coach play until now. A lefty penholder and coach of Xu Xin for many years, no wonder I see so much Xu Xin in him, or the other way around :rolleyes:. His FH flick, shot from behind the back and RPB are simply awesome, and that lost art of TPB is well executed. Wonder if Xu Xin should bring some back to his game for the surprise factor.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
It is said that in 2006 Qin Zhijian picked up Xu Xin from B-Team because of the resemblance. Wu Jingping was Qin Zhijian's coach when Qin Zhijian was a player. Coach Wu said Qin Zhijian liked to play in the back court, so he once put a banner behind Qin and forced him to stay close to the table. Why didn't they train Xu Xin in such way?

I must say I have not seen the new Head Coach play until now. A lefty penholder and coach of Xu Xin for many years, no wonder I see so much Xu Xin in him, or the other way around :rolleyes:. His FH flick, shot from behind the back and RPB are simply awesome, and that lost art of TPB is well executed. Wonder if Xu Xin should bring some back to his game for the surprise factor.