Ma Long interviews, matches and beyond

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Long now can attend regular training with the team. CNT is preparing for China Open and Japan Open which are the third tier tournaments among 9 tournaments on CNT's top priority list. For China Open, Ma Long is now listed #11 seed for singles. He and Wang Chuqin pairing is unseeded. For Japan Open, Ma Long is now listed #5 seed for singles.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1298200393637866&width=500" width="500" height="259" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fvideos%2F317750599149489%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Dad's duty
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1294374957353743&width=500" width="500" height="650" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

What book is Ma Long reading now?
Jerusalem: The Biography.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
A must-see interview after 2019 World Championships.
Some quotes:
-I did not feel the pain when I was playing. However, I felt the pain after the match, or sometimes when I went to bed at night. Maybe I was so concentrated when I played.

-I felt the pain just prevented me from doing things previously. Many times I tried to keep on but it was too difficult.

-During Chinese New Year, I was really worried that I would not play (in Budapest). Because not much time was left and I was not able to train.

-I think it is a treasure since I went through it (the injury). My patience is refined.

-Each day when we (Wang Chuqin and I) returned to the room after the matches, we were relaxed and listened to Xiangsheng (traditional Chinese comedy shows). We didn't talk much but the room had some background sound.

-My hotel room number was 132. Then I thought 132 stood for 1 Olympic Games, 3 World Championships and 2 World Cup (men's singles titles). Whatever positive things, hints.

-It is not damaging to "hope to win and fear losing." It is damaging only to fear losing. As long as the hope of winning is stronger than the fear of losing, positivity takes over. (*Liu Guoliang used to criticize Ma Long on this mindset. He suggests a mindset of "hope to win and not fear losing".)

-In this tournament or other tournaments before, no matter I had felt good or bad, I felt good after talking with him (Liu Guoliang).

-My techniques are not the most advanced. But it is possible to restrict opponent not to perform his best. This is what I do and what I want to strengthen as I grow older. And this is one of the reasons that I can continue to play and continue to play as one of the top level players.

-At 8:9, he (Falck) called a time-out. I served long and he was not prepared for it. (*According to Persson's interview, he called that time-out to tell Falck to watch for long serve.) At 9:9, he started to be pressured.

-(Liu Guoliang said you can become a coach because of your passion.) I think the passion is intellectual study. Think of table tennis any time. People who have such passion love to teach others.

-(Can you be Roger Federer in table tennis?) I need to find a new training regime in order to play for a very long time. I have to allow myself to make mistakes and lose matches. With a better mindset, it is possible that I continue to play till 38, 39, or even 40.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Dongfeng Motor Aeolus held on a press meeting on May 20 to announce a new model D3 as well as a new 4-year strategic plan with CTTA to promote table tennis.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1299325400192032&width=500" width="500" height="707" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

CTTA held a meeting on May 20 to reinforce anti-doping rules to assure clean sport in preparations for Tokyo Olympic Games.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1302003796590859&width=500" width="500" height="688" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Long at the grand opening of LiNing Wuhan Xinghuo store on May 23
When asked what table tennis brought him after so many years, he said, "Everything that I have is brought by table tennis."

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1303208686470370&width=500" width="500" height="688" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Ma Long highlights at 2019 WTTC by Stiga V Table Tennis
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fvideos%2F316954162530341%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
The fight against injuries never ends! Coach Qin Zhijian once said, when Ma Long talks about his injuries and tiredness, one should not take his words. One should imagine the situation is at least 10x worse than what he says. Hopefully athletes like Ma Long can take their injuries seriously and the medical and rehabilitation support teams can be more efficient!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1304617342996171&width=500" width="500" height="795" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Table Tennis World Magazine Jun 2019 cover story

Did Ma Long expect the third title in a row before World Championships? "No, not at all." he said.
Even if there were no knee injuries, Ma Long did not expect the best result before the tournament. "I dare not to expect." Ma Long said, "I am the kind of person who dares not to give self pressure and who is afraid of not achieving the goal. Sometimes I not only refuse to expect the result myself, I don't want others to talk about it. For every tournament, I keep myself away from thinking about the final result at the beginning. Step by Step. Goal #1, say, not lose to any foreign player. It is too far to think of the champion at the beginning. When I reach semifinal and final, I cannot help thinking of the champion. Then let it be."

Two champions at World Championships seem to be a brief interlude of knee injury recovery
Ma Long's answer got more flavors of "pain" before Budapest. At the beginning of closed training camp, Ma Long was just able to practice on the table, "I can play easy balls, cannot run, cannot move quickly." In the middle of closed training camp, his situation got better, "I can do regular training, cannot do multi balls, cannot do large amount of training." After a short training on the table, Ma Long went to the gym for power building. Team physician Wang Duchun, physiotherapist Rafal and physical coach Tommy were with him, repeating the same things as the day before.
Returning from Budapest with both men's singles and men's doubles gold medals, Ma Long still spends most of the training time in the gym. When he is doing his routine physical training, Rafal and Tommy are sitting besides the door waiting and keeping an eye on him, they don't leave until Ma Long makes OK gesture. Meanwhile Wang Duchun is waiting for Ma Long in the treatment room. He starts with icing Ma Long's knee and wrist, before massaging the whole leg. Rehabilitation and treatment alternate. Two champions at World Championships seem to be a brief interlude of Ma Long's knee injury recovery. "The injuries do not go away though Ma Long won champions." Wang Duchun explains.

Vomiting after training, waking up because of pain
Wang Duchun bought a new phone last Sep. His phone album has nothing but videos and pictures related to Ma Long's injury on left knee, when Ma Long took a cortisone injection in Sweden before withdrawing from 2018 Swedish Open, when experts were invited to GAS Sports Hospital to discuss about his case, one treatment on Ma Long's knee and another, one rehabilitation exercise and another, imaging results and diagnosis reports.
Ma Long's knee issue started from 2007. His left knee is calcificated and worn out with his repetitive actions of play. Physical therapy, acupuncture and correction have been tried numerous times. Sometimes he went for cortisone injection under ultrasound or acupotomy knife to reduce the pain. Before 2017 World Championships, Ma Long got a cortisone injection on the knee. After he won men's singles champion, whenever he felt pain on the knee, he still used the above approaches for relief. The situation was not better before 2018 Swedish Open but Ma Long was eager to attend the tournament. He decided to take another cortisone injection before the match, in a local hospital in Sweden. But this time, his pain was not relieved. Instead, it triggered the outbreak and worsening of his knee injury which lasted for more than 3 months.
It is simple to summarize what happened to Ma Long's left knee as "repetitive strain injury". However it is too difficult to describe what takes to get full recovery. After Ma Long won his third World singles Champion, he is still in the process of recovery. After withdrawal from Austrian Open and Swedish Open, Ma Long met a physiotherapist of Shandong Luneng soccer team in the gym. This Croatian learnt Ma Long's case and guided him for a 5-day muscle rehabilitation exercise. The effect was magical. Ma Long returned to Super League matches and beat Zhou Qihao, Fang Bo, Xia Yizheng by 3-0 and Lin Gaoyuan by 3-1. 4 victories in 3 rounds, Ma Long and team physician both thought the knee healed and they overcame the injury for one more time. However, when Ma Long came back to Beijing during the break of Super League, his knee injury quickly worsened. Before Grand Finals in Dec, Ma Long was not able to move the left knee due to the severe pain. He had to walk with a limp.
Too painful to train, he had no choice but gave the knee nutrition shot and let it rest. For more than 10 days, Ma Long was only able to do physical training on arms, or some exercises on right leg and ankle. Building up muscles took forever but losing muscles took in no time. His left leg soon became thinner. "I don't move it for a while but it is not better." Ma Long always thinks table tennis players don't have injuries from contact or collision, the "not so severe" repetitive strain injury just needs a few days rest, and cortisone injection can be used to kill pain if necessary.
Ma Long became impatient when his knee did not get better. One day, he decided to "fight" against his knee. As the exercise that physiotherapist of Shandong Luneng taught once enabled him to play after 5 days, Ma Long decided to do it again. "I lost!" Ma Long said he woke up because of the severe pain on the night after he tried that exercise. "The pain was greater and greater which woke me up. I put my left leg against the wall and put an exercise ball under the leg before I could sleep again." Ma Long described the situation, "I could not lift the left leg. I had to use the right leg to support it and put it against the wall." Ma Long paid a lot for his impulse. The knee injury expanded from a point to the whole knee, with inflammation and fluid accumulation. He had to take knee aspiration four times to remove fluid. Despair? Of course. Ma Long pointed to a small area on his knee, "When I went to acupuncture, there were 20 needles on this area."
The knee injury became complicated. Ma Long's rehabilitation plan had to change. He went to new rehabilitation center for new rehabilitation and treatment. Wang Duchun took some pictures, like Ma Long was face down on the ground turning red when physiotherapist grabbed his neck and lifted. There were not many pictures taken because it was the same every day. "On the first day, it made me vomit." Ma Long said he was too tired by then, "I fell asleep at 10 pm after I got home." But he didn't feel hard any more after the first day as he was determined. "It doesn't matter if the gesture is too much. As long as it works, I don't feel hard." he said.

All is recorded in my heart
After World Championships, a Ma Long fan wrote an article and mentioned the memory of Super League: The memory of Super League, was filled with fans' wishes that Ma Long would come, with club manager's answer "he still has to take sick leave", with club coach's pity "he is still in the recovery", with teammates' explanation "he cannot come for this match." We dare not to ask what Ma Long was facing by himself. We don't know. We dare not to know.

What was Ma Long facing by himself? Boring and hard rehabilitation, anxiety about the situation after trying out different treatments. The first thing when he woke up at night and when he got up in the morning, he moved his left leg to see if the knee was getting better. If he felt a little improvement, "The whole day then was a good day. If there was no improvement, I felt really upset. But I could not do anything but give it time to heal." Ma Long said previously he tried too many shortcuts to deal with injuries. "I always want the most efficient treatment to recover using the least time." He learnt this time, "I realized that I should not be hasty and look for shortcuts. I have to do it step by step. It is impossible that every time I get the luck (to find shortcuts). Maybe the shortcut leads to a dead end. It is risky. The length of an athletic career is limited. It is natural that I was hasty and looked for shortcuts. It is important for me to balance the pros and cons."
During Chinese New Year, Qin Zhijian, Wang Duchun, Rafal and Tommy all stayed in Beijing, working with Ma Long on rehabilitation training. "Hat tip to Coach Qin and Dr. Wang! Although Rafal and Tommy don't celebrate Chinese New Year, hat tip to them too." Ma Long added with a laughter. As we were talking about it, Wang Duchun was massaging Ma Long's leg and Ma Long held fist to salute him. Wang Duchun has a cell phone recording the 3-month process of Ma Long's treatments and rehabilitation. Does Ma Long have a similar recording? "No." Ma Long said, "All is recorded in my heart."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Olympic Stories is a 30-minute BTV program to reveal backstage stories of Olympians. May 21 episode is Ma Long - return of the king.
This video is Ma Long interview part.

-(Saying "I am made in China!") is an improvisation. I came across news about "Created in China" and thought about it. It is pretty cool to say so to represent Team China and represent China in a big international stage. I didn't expect it went viral.

-Actually I didn't know to what extent I could play on my level before World Championships. There was no advantage of my ranking. I had not played international tournaments for a long time, lack of the feeling of tournaments. Whether my recovery was good enough to allow me to finish both men's singles and men's doubles events was uncertain. All above were uncertain.

-(After Simon Gauzy beat Xu Xin) Our team met together. We were asked to get off pressure and fight from the beginning. It was after R32. It was a long way to go to be the champion. No matter who of us (remaining 4 of Team China) made to the final, he will face a foreign player, which had not happened for years.

-(Liang Jingkun beat Fan Zhendong.) I think it is a surprise in some sense and it is not a surprise in other sense. Liang Jingkun is a threat to others, including Fan Zhendong who is so strong. If he doesn't respond well or perform well, he can lose.

-I must take initiative to fight. Fan Zhendong's loss to Liang Jingkun reminded me such a strong player can lose. No choice but fight. I took initiative and played proactively from the beginning. Then they (my opponents) felt that I fought hard at World Championships.

-I didn't sleep well. I barely slept in the last 2-3 days. Couldn't sleep. (Too much pressure?) Yes.

-Very few male players use short pips. Especially on forehand. Perhaps Falck is the only one worldwide.Therefore Coach Liu practiced with me before the match because he plays short pips and knows the characteristics of short pips. He knows the feeling of major tournaments. He not only practiced with me playing, but more importantly, he encouraged me. No matter feeling good or bad beforehand, after talking with him, I feel good. He can encourage me.

Host: Team China has kept a very good tradition, to make thorough preparations for difficulties. How thorough are the preparations? Li Sun, coach of Zhang Yining, once revealed that Team China has a secret notebook. Every note is about possible difficulties in the match and solutions. The notes accumulate and now there are 80 more notes.This notebook contains experiences from several generations. There must be one note about what to do when trailing behind. What to do when trailing behind? Here is Ma Long's solution.

-At 7:9 down, I didn't think too much about techniques and tactics. I made 2 long serves and surprised him. At that time it was hard to think about new techniques and tactics. I was pressured trailing behind. I did have some ideas on strategy. But trailing behind, I needed to evaluate the techniques and tactics. At 9:9, I thought that was my chance. When it was a tie, I made a variation and my opponent did not expect it. I made 2 short pushes to his backhand, which placement he did not pay attention previously. I think both worked well. Winning that game, I think the situation was under my control. Best-of-7 in a major tournament, catching up 1 game when trailing behind actually equals winning 2 games (2-2 vs 1-3). It's important.

-Thank you all for rooting for me, many of you are from China and many of you are from other countries. I want to win the champion and I also want to earn your respect.
I was inspired when watching Tiger Woods in Austria. He won the last few holes. It was touching. Even if you don't know about golf, you know Tiger Woods' name. This year he wanted to win the champion in front of his son. Such a player is never short of champions but he still wants to prove himself. I was inspired. I kept thinking why I am still playing, why I am continuing to play. For me, I continue to play and I want to win champions. But if I stop playing right now, what I've achieved is already legendary. I hope years later in the future, when people talk about table tennis, even for people who don't play table tennis, they know my name. That's the biggest recognition.

Host: In addition to lifting the trophy, he wanted to rock the stadium with his persistence as a senior player and his fighting spirit. He wanted to beat the opponent, he wanted more to beat himself. To be precise, he wanted to beat the reality that he is no longer young and beat injuries.

-It was in Jan. I saw many experts and they did not find the cause. Imaging results and exams showed that the injury was not severe. But the situation did not get better. We table tennis players do not have broken bones, no crash and collision. After all it is a net sport. Physical therapy or cortisone injection usually can fix the injury. That's the bottom line. This time it did not get better after I took cortisone injection. I started to worry.

Host: At the beginning, everyone including Ma Long did not take the injury seriously because the exam results seemed fine. One problem solved, then another showed up. Ma Long realized that he could not keep on by taking more cortisone injections. Living with it is not the solution. He must be responsible for his body. CTTA president Liu Guoliang then called for a rehabilitation and support team for Ma Long including Chinese and foreign experts.

-I didn't take a day off during Chinese New Year. I planned to go to hometown but I stayed in Beijing to catch up what I missed before. My family then came to see me. Training facilities are good in Beijing. I spent 1-2 hours in the morning to go to the facilities. Coach Qin also stayed in Beijing with me during the holidays as well as team physician Wang Duchun and two foreign coaches.

-(Is rehabilitation boring?) Yes. Sometimes it is very boring. Repeat the same things everyday. Sometimes it did not work or did not work right away. The effect did not show up until a certain amount was reached. The first thing when I got up in the morning was to test the left leg. If it was better, I was happy the whole day. If there was no change or more pain, I felt upset.

Host: Ma Long wanted to come back as soon as possible. He kept asking physiotherapist to increase training amount no matter how hard it is. During the months of battling with his body, Ma Long needed nutrition shots, as well as fluid removal. His left leg became thinner. The training was boring and tiring but Ma Long never complaint. He didn't rest even on Chinese New Year. Racing against time, he finally came back to the court before World Championships. His comeback tournament was Qatar Open. His performance made a statement: the king is back.

-The first match was difficult. The French player was not easy to play with. Before I beat him by 4-3 and 4-2 (*They played once 4-3). It was still difficult to play with him at the beginning. But I won and I felt that my form was OK. Before the tournament, President Liu said, "Try to reach 70% recovery. Don't get more injuries. Try to reach 80-85% in Japan.Then try your best at World Championships but still protect your body first." I told him, "Sure." But when I played, I still tried my best because I don't like to lose. I didn't pay attention to my leg. I forgot about the pain.

-President Liu once said a player's techniques can impact a few people, while a player's spirits can impact a lot more people.

Host: With 70%-80% recovery, Ma Long came back and came to the top. Not every player can do this. CTTA President Liu commented that Ma Long made a miracle. At 30 years old, he made a miracle to overcome injury and won champion after comeback. Ranked #5 in Team China, the least favorite, he made a miracle to win the third consecutive World Championships men's singles title. Ma Long's records are very impressive. After Budapest he gained 23 champions in major international tournaments.He gained 129 champions (national level and above) in his career. He has joined Team China for 16 years. What does 129 champions mean? It means that each year he won 8 champions on average.
(Ma Long is the only male player who has won every international, continental and national title the sport can offer. The list of 129 champions (national level and above) and many other records.)

-Looking at those numbers, I feel impressive. But it doesn't change my life. I still do regular training and rehabilitation in the team. In Team China's culture, no one thinks himself the strongest player. Even after winning Olympic Champion, you feel you are the same as others in Team China. You don't have any privileges. Only when you go out, people may show more respect to you. Look that's ... That's Team China. So now we players not only represent ourselves, but also Team China. We show the image of Team China to public.

Host: This is why Ma Long is highly regarded. Although he is the only full grand slam winner who wins every title possible, he is still low-key and modest. He is still strict with himself. He is still enterprising and hardworking. Winning 129 champions is not the end. Winning 129 champions is not the end. As the captain of Team China, Ma Long has the duty to help other players. He can't stop. Many young players regard Captain Long as their role models and want to reach his level. He doesn't have a reason to stop now. With 2017 and 2019 World Championships men's singles title, he is the closest to Tokyo.

-Now I can start to make full preparations for Tokyo Olympic Games. Before 2019 World Championships, I had to concentrate on it because it's a major tournament as well. After World Championships, all my focus can be put on Tokyo Olympic Games next year.

Q: Who is your roommate at previous World Championships?
A: In 2015 and 2017, I shared room with Cui Qinglei. In 2019, I shared room with Wang Chuqin. For World Team Championships, I shared room with : 2006 Ma Lin, 2008 Bro Li (Wang Liqin), 2010 Wang Hao, 2012 Jike, later Xu Xin.
Q: What does Captain Long like besides reading books?
A: Journal writing. I think it becomes more meaningful when I write it down.
Q: When did you write a journal recently?
A: During World Championships. When I feel pressure and I don't want to discuss with others, I write a journal and encourage myself.
Q: What do you think of your fans?
A: After Rio, they paid more attention to me (not my game). When they saw me, they screamed "Ahhhh" and they felt happy. But after these years of ups and downs, they learn to understand table tennis and know when to cheer me up during a match. They know how to cheer. They know the way to communicate.
Q: What do you prepare for Tokyo Olympic Games?
A: Right now the priority is rehabilitation. With the development of table tennis, the change of ball, the advances of techniques, demands of physical strength increase. Topspin rallies are increased. So rehabilitation is the base. With a strong body like Liang Jingkun, Fan Zhendong, as well as Xu Xin, it's possible for me to play better. That's what I have to strengthen or maintain. Also there is much room to improve my game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
CCTV5 Sports Feng Yun Summit reviewed 2019 World Championships. This video is Ma Long's part.
Highlights:

(In the main hall, Ma Long and Fan Zhendong practiced together).
Liu Guoliang: Who asked first (to practice together)? Fan Zhendong: He asked me. Liu Guoliang: It's him.
Ma Long: I want to practice with Fan Zhendong because his level is highest. I asked, "Chubby, can we practice together tomorrow?" Perhaps he felt guilty to say no. I feel better in today's training than before. Maybe practicing with WR #1 made me concentrated.
Fan Zhendong: He asked me first. I agreed.

Ma Long: To be honest, I never set a high goal for myself. I don't want to disappoint myself.
Fan Zhendong: I have a big dream for Tokyo.

Ma Long: Liang Jingkun was drawn to meet Fan Zhendong in R16. For me, the worst draw is to meet teammate in R16. The positions to meet Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong and Lin Gaoyuan at R16 were taken before my turn. (*Not for Lin) I escaped the worst draw. Whether to meet teammate in quarterfinal or semifinal depends on fate or luck. I think my draw was not good but not bad either.
Liu Guoliang: Four are in the top half and Xu Xin alone in the bottom half. On the other hand, this is a good draw for Xu Xin. Capitalize this opportunity and you can earn the next opportunity. Capitalize the next opportunity and you will earn further opportunity.

Ma Long: I burst into tears watching Liu Shiwen winning her title. I thought, "If I can win men's singles title, I want to cry, too."

Ma Long: I was extremely nervous. More than very nervous. I barely ate food. No appetite. The pressure was very high. The pressure was even higher than Olympic Games. I never played a foreign player in the final of World Championships. The pressure from the team and others was all put on me.
I felt that I could not afford to lose.

(Before the final, Liu Guoliang came to the training hall to practice with Ma Long.)
Liu Guoliang: I told Ma Long, "This match is not between you and Falck. His level is not as high as yours." I said, "You can imagine the short pips as me 20 years younger. Imagine Waldner 20 years younger. Imagine the fight between your predecessor and the legend. Challenge yourself."

(In the fourth game, Ma Long made many mistakes and trailed behind. At this moment, Liu Guoliang who sat in the crowds watching the match suddenly left the main hall.)
Liu Guoliang: I felt the pressure on Ma Long. That was the most difficult moment for Ma Long. I wanted to find a quiet place. To watch the match quietly and think calmly. I believe if I can calm down, Ma Long can calm down.

Ma Long: I want to be a legend.

Liu Guoliang: We have to win champions. We also want to earn respect from the world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017

Guangdong Pisen Electronics becomes a 3-year strategic partner of CTTA and Team China. (Photo taken on May 27)
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1308551562602749&width=500" width="500" height="468" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

New commercial shooting
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1307273622730543&width=500" width="500" height="669" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ready for summer? Flying to Shenzhen
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1305550869569485&width=500" width="500" height="688" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Training starts for 2019 China Open
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fvideos%2F633439473787534%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1309718665819372&width=500" width="500" height="650" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fposts%2F1310109909113581&width=500" width="500" height="613" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Security check
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fvideos%2F440379766764419%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

As doubles opponents withdrew due to injury, Ma Long / Wang Chuqin did not play the qualification stage match and R16. In the quarterfinal on May 31, it will be a rematch of WTTC2019 men's doubles final as they will meet Alvaro Robles / Ovidiu Ionescu.

On May 30, Ma Long beat Mizuki Oikawa by 4-1 (11:6, 11:5, 5:11, 11:5, 11:5) in the first round of men's singles at China Open. Next round he will meet Koki Niwa.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMaLongFamily%2Fvideos%2F1219791031514076%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="312" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Post-match interview:
Q: One month has passed since your victories at WTTC 2019. What did you do in the past month?
A: Nothing different. Regular training.
Q: Your doubles opponents withdrew yesterday and this morning. What did you do to maintain your form of competition?
A: It happens. We may have two matches a day or one match a day. I came to the stadium this morning as usual to get used to the stadium.
Q: After you lost the third game, you seemed to determined to take the fourth. What change on techniques/tactics did you make?
A: In the third set, my opponent played aggressively and I made many unforced errors. So very quickly I trailed behind and lost. In the fourth game, I tried to be more concentrated and played more precisely.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
May 31 was a long day with three matches and Ma Long proceeded in both men's doubles and men's singles at China Open.
In the quarterfinal with Alvaro Robles / Ovidiu Ionescu, Ma Long / Wang Chuqin won by 3-1 (9:11, 11:3, 11:7, 11:2). Then they met Jeoung Youngsik / Lee Sangsu in the semifinal, a rematch of quarterfinal at WTTC 2019, and won by 3-1 (11:7, 9:11, 11:7, 12:10). They will meet Timo Boll / Patrick Franziska in the final tomorrow.
In the evening, Ma Long took less than 20 minutes to sweep Koki Niwa by 4-0 (11:4, 11:5, 11:5, 11:2). He will meet Fan Zhendong in the quarterfinal tomorrow.

Interview after the singles match:
Match recap: "Koki Niwa's level is quite constant. He reached quarterfinal in the past three World Championships. He also performed well at Olympic Games. I once lost to him so every time I meet him, I make full preprations. When we met last time at Asian Cup, my techniques/tactics were overwhelming for him. I felt easy. This time, I continued with my techniques/tactics and I had advantage. I also had good mindset so it was smooth."
Match preview: "Both matches tomorrow will be tough. We haven't played with Timo Boll pair. It is always tough to play with Fan Zhendong. I will try to play my best."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
On May 31, Ma Long / Wang Chuqin didn't find many solutions to play against Timo Boll / Patrick Franziska and lost by 0-3 (8:11, 7:11, 5:11) and ended up with runner-up at China Open.
Later the day, Ma Long beat Fan Zhendong by 4-1 (11:4, 8:11, 11:6, 12:10, 13:11). He will meet Tomokazu Harimoto in the semifinal.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1315425848581987&id=632611513530094
In the post match interview, Ma Long said both Fan Zhendong and he tried the best and played a great match. It was not only a battle on techniques/tactics but also on strong will. He was lucky to handle crucial points well in the last two games. For the upcoming semifinal, he said on the court, there is no senior player or young player, only one winner. He expected a tough match and will fight point by point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
A tough match as Ma Long expected, he beat Tomokazu Harimoto by 4-1 (14:16, 16:14, 11:7, 11:8, 11:7) and reached final of China Open. This is his 11th China Open final and he will meet Lin Gaoyuan.
After match, he said every time he played Tomokazu Harimoto, Tomokazu Harimoto has new variations and improvements. He asked the crowds to give the 16-year-old a round of applause. He said the atmosphere and attention of the semifinal was comparable to World Championships, he felt pressure. He didn't take the first game leading 8-4 and the situation became tight. He felt lucky to take the second. From the third, he adjusted techniques/tactics and won the match.
When told that Lin Gaoyuan expected to learn from him once again, Ma Long said let them learn from each other. It will be a tougher match in the final.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1316468018477770&id=632611513530094

After this point, Coach Qin Zhijian, "Fxxking good! Fxxking good! Fxxking good!"
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1317358145055424&id=632611513530094

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
What do you usually do before a final with your buddy?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1316536218470950&id=632611513530094

History is made! Ma Long beat Lin Gaoyuan by 4-0 (12:10, 11:6, 11:5, 11:4) and claimed his 8th China Open men's singles title and 28th World Tour men's singles title, the most successful at World Tour.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1316625911795314&id=632611513530094

Jan-Ove Waldner said in the interview after attending China Open's opening ceremony, he thought Ma Long might not have as big desire for victory as Fan Zhendong to win China Open because he just won World Championships. Similarly, before Budapest, Liu Guoliang also guessed that Ma Long might not be that hungry since he won World Championships twice. But in reality, as injuries pulled Ma Long out of the table for so long, he wants to play and wants to win more than anyone else. That's the heart of a true champion. And he will never stop!

In the post-match interview, Ma Long said he didn't pay attention to the records. He paid more attention to every match. Of course he was happy to win the title and was happier to receive the trophy from Liu Guoliang for the first time after he became CTTA president.

Ma Long updated his Sina Weibo, "Salute to great players who inspired me to move forward. I will not sit on my laurels and I do not fear the future. We can continue."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Tired Ma Long slept at the airport on Jun 3 early morning as Team China flied to Saporro to have a closed training camp before Japan Open
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1317311338393438&id=632611513530094

Long 5 maintains his 5th position in 2019 Jun World Rankings although he beat WR#1, 2 and 4 in the past weekend. Reason: Ma Long didn't get better result this May compared to last May (2018 China Open winner vs 2019 China Open winner). Fun fact: he never dropped his fifth game in the past 12 singles matches in two recent tournaments, winning 4-0 or 4-1.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Post-match interviews of Ma Long’s opponents at China Open.
Koki Niwa: "I felt Ma Long is as strong as he was in Asian Cup. I tried everything but couldn't win points." After Asian Cup, Koki Niwa went to eat Chinese food with friends to recover from the frustration of the defeat. When asked what he would do this time, he said, "I am not that frustrated. I accept it with a smile."
Fan Zhendong: "It is not a pity to lose today. I played well and I am more confident than before. The first game trailing 0-9 didn't affect me much. I didn't start slow; he just started faster and that's his style. I tried to catch up and tried to find solutions. But I didn't handle crucial points well. When I saw some opportunities, I was too hasty and didn't seize the opportunities. I don't feel a shame to lose to Ma Long. If someone thinks he can beat Ma Long, he should try. Every time I play with him, I want to challenge him and I try hard. I won't belittle myself if I lose to him."
Tomokazu Harimoto: "When I trailed behind in the first game, I managed to come back and won. But when I led in the second game, I failed to take it. I may have better chance if I can take the second. I played pretty well today but I only won one game. It is too difficult to win four games from Ma Long. I have to work harder. I need to win crucial points in order to beat him."
Lin Gaoyuan after semifinal: "I think Ma Long will beat Tomokazu Harimoto. I want to learn from him again in the final." After final he posted on Weibo: "I am learning from this great player. I cannot grow faster without lessons given by these senior players."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
2019 China college entrance exam started on Jun 7 and over 10 million students attended nationwide. One of the eassy topics is about Olympic Games. Students were asked to write an essay based on the following materials:
On the occasion of the 1000-day countdown to 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Games on May 10, 2019, students in Laian Middle School discussed about "What I like about Olympics". Xiaohua said, "I like the Olympic motto most: Citius. Altius. Fortius!" Daiwei said, "I like table tennis player Ma Long most. I wish I can become a world champion one day and proudly say 'I am made in China!' like he did." Xiaoqi said, "I like the slogan of Olympic movement most: 'The most important thing is not to win but to take part!' I don't have talent in sports but I exercise regularly!"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Press conference after men’s singles final at China Open
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1322515654539673&id=632611513530094

(Congratulations to Ma Long to win men’s singles title! Please review the final.)
I am very glad to win the title here overcoming Lin Gaoyuan again. My form is good in this tournament. I think Lin Gaoyuan’s form is also good. I played proactively from the start. Lin Gaoyuan played several tough matches and his arm may be a little affected.
The match (against Tomokazu Harimoto) is very important. He is one of the major rivals of Team China. And he is so young. When I or other Chinese played with him, coaching team made full preparations. I haven't played many times with Tomokazu Harimoto. That's why Coach Liu Guoliang told me to pay more attention today.
(I am local from Baoan Morning News. Question for Ma Long. Recently you beat Lin Gaoyuan 3 times, including 4-0 for 2 times. Can you comment on the reason? Does he lack confidence or is his level inferior?)
I beat him recently but from 2017 he beat me several times. That suggests our levels are close. Win or loss by a small margin. He had chance to beat me at Qatar Open. After I won, I gained confidence when I played him again. At World Championships, I had experience to play quarterfinals, which was new to Lin Gaoyuan. He might not find a good way to adjust his mindset or form. This time my form may be better. I don't think there is gap between our levels.
(I am from Guangzhou Daily News. Question for Ma Long. After men's singles final at Duesseldorf World Championships, you told Fan Zhendong, "The future is yours." In press conference. Fan Zhendong didn't play well at Budapest World Championships. But you still play really well. Do you think you will lead Team China to win men's singles at Tokyo Olympic Games?)
First, I think the future is still Fan Zhendong's. Second, I am very happy to come back to the court and play at high level. I don't think I will lead anyone at Olympic Games. Team China is the strongest because we work as a team. Even if one loses to a foreign player, the other will complete the mission (to win the title).
(I am from Titan Sports Weekly. You mentioned your form is good in this tournament. Since your comeback from injury, at World Tour and World Championships, we can see your level and form are still at prime. What do you think makes you stronger compared to other players? As no one seems to be able to stop you. Fan Zhendong said he doesn't feel a shame to lose to you. No one can easily beat you. If someone thinks he can, he should try. Why is that?)
To be honest, I don't know why I can win sometimes. I think some players are very difficult for me to play with. I just tried my best during match. Maybe I found the momentum or I found the opportunity to make my opponent uncomfortable. Are my techniques and tactics much better than my opponents? I don't think so. I really know the answer to your question.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Long adjusted service placement based on opponent's style and match progression. For example, he made more and more serves to Tomokazu Harimoto's FH short side.
5cfb72c90eb2539574.png