Ma Long interviews, matches and beyond

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Dear TTD members,

We are MaLongFamily Fans Club (龙腾家族-球迷会). We have been rooting for Ma Long since 2005, including supporting him in the tournaments and making donations to kids in rural areas in his name.

Our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/MaLongFamily
Our Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaLongFamilyFansClub
Our Sina Weibo: http://weibo.com/malongfamily

We will keep uploading Ma Long's newest interviews with English captions and matches that were not live broadcasted. You may also find his commercials and backstage shootings for fashion magazines.

Please let us know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

MaLongFamily

*This account in TableTennisDaily Forum is shared and managed by several users including shai, rainneverever and Sixxxxxxxxgod. The purpose of the shared account is to post the latest news and useful information of Ma Long. The users mentioned above can access this account but shall not post irrelevant information using this account; their opinions posted using their personal accounts do not represent the opinions of this shared account.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
In an interview with Sina Entertainment earlier this year, Ma Long answered fans' questions like: what he prefers to be called; what he did to his racket after throwing it up when winning 2016 ITTF World Tour Grand Finals; how much time he spends on cleaning the collections of action figures and trophies. He also talked about what he needs to do for 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Thank you for your support! The matches and interviews of Ma Long in ATTC will be uploaded as soon as we can. Please press the "CC" button ("Subtitles/Closed Captions") on our youtube videos if the translation did not show up automatically.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Long received "The Best Male Athlete of the Year at the CCTV Sports Personality Awards" on Jan 15, 2017 and "The Most Powerful Athlete of the Year" title at the Weibo Night Awards on Jan 16, 2017. In this interview with Sina Entertainment, he answered questions asked by his fans.
Sina: Congratulations on the Best Male Athlete of the Year at the CCTV Sports Personality Awards you received yesterday! Let me say that you are well-recognized (Note: Ma Long said before that he wanted to become recognized) on behalf of "Dragonfruits" (Note: the nickname of Ma Long's fans).
Ma Long: Thanks!
Sina: I have some questions for you asked by "Dragonfruits". Short Q&As. Do you know about "Ma Long 48"? (Note: an analogy of AKB48 Girl group)
Ma Long: I saw this but I do not know the meaning.
Sina: You have different styles and looks from time to time, for example, Long in Rio, Long in Suzhou, Little Fat Dragon, Eggy Dragon and so on. Each look has many fans.
Ma Long: 48 names?
Sina: Maybe more. Which one do you like the best?
Ma Long: I like all that you mentioned. If I must pick one, Caption Long.
Sina: Oops, "Ma Long 48" represent your looks at different periods, for example, Suzhou WTTC period.
Ma Long: Then it is hard to choose. I like all of them.
Sina: You are very much a Libra when making choices.
Ma Long: Yes, Libra. No solutions.
Sina: Do you spend more time on cleaning your collections of action figures or trophies? (Note: Ma Long has a hobby of collecting action figures)
Ma Long: To tell you the truth, I don't clean them.
Sina: You don't clean the ash off?
Ma Long: Leave them with the imprint of time.
Sina: Which celebration after winning a match do you like most, say jumping on the table in Suzhou?
Ma Long: Every celebration expressed my very true feeling at that moment. I cannot make any comparison. I felt really excited at those moments. They are all important moments.
Sina: You threw up your racket "Hurricane" after winning the final of 2016 ITTF World Tour Grand Finals. You usually take very good care of it and wrap it in the towel. (Note: he usually does so for the racket control test before a match) Did "Hurricane" get hurt on that day?
Ma Long: I have already made an apology to "Hurricane".
Sina: Which match is most memorable besides Rio Olympic Games?
Ma Long: Do you mean last year?
Sina: I mean in your whole career.
Ma Long: Besides Rio Olympic Games, Suzhou WTTC of course.
Sina: During the two months of CTTSL, which banners and slogans of your fans impress you?
Ma Long: Most of them are impressive.
Sina: Can you give us an example?
Ma Long: Such as "Guard every dreams of Caption Long", "Dreams' never sold, blood's never cold", and "Make dreams into a horse, break through as a dragon". Many of them made me touched.
Sina: Do you have any new dream for us to guard?
Ma Long: New dream? Let me think about it and let you know.
Sina: Previously you said cherry tomatoes shall make friends with grapes. What shall dragonfruits make friends with?
Ma Long: Dragonfruits...I cannot recall when and why I said cherry tomatoes shall make friends with grapes. (Note: he said so because they are of the same size)
Sina: What's your favorite fruit then?
Ma Long: Fruit...Kiwifruit. A little weird.
Sina: Kiwifruit is delicious.
Ma Long: Is it?
Sina: If you play poker game with Ma Lin, who will win? (Note: Ma Lin is known to be good at a kind of poker game played by 3 people)
Ma Long: Ma Lin? It depends on what cards I have.
Sina: Who has higher winning percentages before?
Ma Long: "We are siblings from the same root, why are you boiling us so eagerly". (Note: an ancient Chinese poem by Cao Zhi) We have the same last name, so we usually do not fight against each other. We make an alliance and beat the other one.
Sina: Long Zai (Note: the meaning of Zai is boy; many coaches and CNT players call him Long Zai), Ma Long Oppa, Captain, what do you prefer to be called?
Ma Long: Long Zai.
Sina: Why?
Ma Long: It sounds friendly and makes me younger.
Sina: I thought you prefer a sharper nickname.
Ma Long: It depends on the occasion, on or off the court. It's OK to be more friendly off the court.
Sina: Your first coach said you climbed on the tree when you first met him. Why did you climb on the tree?
Ma Long: I was quite naughty when I was a kid. It's the nature of boys.
Sina: You have been to many countries and cities for tournaments. Which place do you like most?
Ma Long: Austria, very good.
Sina: Coach Liu Guoliang played table tennis with your idol Jay Chou in a variety show. Are you jealous? Have you played with him?
Ma Long: Do you mean playing with Coach Liu?
Sina: Jay Chou
Ma Long: No, I haven't met him in such occasion but I am looking forward. Coach Liu already told Jay that a CNT player is a big fan of him.
Sina: I heard that Jay is also good at table tennis.
Ma Long: I saw him playing in the music video of "Class 3-2". He may play at times.
Sina: Which young player do you think has the best potential?
Ma Long: Which young player?
Sina: Besides Fan Zhendong, those who were born after 1995.
Ma Long: Young player...It is hard to tell now. They are more or less at the same level in the match in terms of techniques, tactics and mentality. I cannot tell from one or two matches. The real challenge comes from major tournaments. People can see one player more clearly if he can be the first one to seize the opportunity to make a breakthrough.
Sina: You said you want to attend 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games. But previously no male CNT player over 30 played in Olympic Games. Do you think it extremely difficult?
Ma Long: Certainly it is very difficult. Now every player around the world will be proud of defeating me. I know the next 4 years before Tokyo Olympic Games will be much harder for me than the past 4 years. I will try all my best for the chance to attend 2020 Olympic Games.
Sina: You are called a "hexagon warrior". (Note: During the live broadcast of the final between China and Japan in 2016 WTTC team events, TV Tokyo made hexagon battle data charts for all the players. Ma Long was assigned full scores for all 6 corners, so-called hexagon warrior.) But you said you still have room to improve. What do you want to improve in the next 4 years?
Ma Long: A lot of things, maybe more than 30 corners. Japan only made a chart of 6 corners. (Note: Serve, power, speed, skill, defense, experience). I want to make other corners to full score.
Sina: Last question, why Captain becomes more and more handsome?
Ma Long: Really? That’s because you are not tired of seeing me.

In an interview with Sina Entertainment earlier this year, Ma Long answered fans' questions like: what he prefers to be called; what he did to his racket after throwing it up when winning 2016 ITTF World Tour Grand Finals; how much time he spends on cleaning the collections of action figures and trophies. He also talked about what he needs to do for 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Q: How's your back injury?
A: I am getting better day after day. I cannot rush. The treatments take some time before I am fully recovered. I am feeling OK now.
Q: Are you wearing a beard now? Is it your habit before a tournament?
A: Not at all. I won't have it like James Harden. I'll shave soon.
Q: The ATTC is coming. Xu Xin said he wanted to play to his best in his hometown. What's your goal?
A: I will do my style. I will play in team and singles events. We must win the team events. I will try my best in the singles, but I do not set a goal for myself.
Q: CNT hired a foreign physical therapist for you and other core players.
A: Yes. In recent years, CNT has learned a lot from physical therapists aboard. During Rio Olympic Games, we had some foreign sports medicine doctors and physical therapists. Now it is good to have a physical therapist of our own. Our sports medicine group can learn from him and our players will benefit.
Q: We interviewed with He Xiao (the interpreter of CNT) and he told us you and Liu Shiwen are good at English.
A: Not really. I want to improve my English so I learn as much as I can. Use as many English words as I can. For new areas which interest me, I like to try them out.
Q: Can you show us speaking English, like introducing yourself?
A: Let's wait for the right time.
Q: Do you have an English name?
A: No, I don't.
Q: Your coach Qin Zhijian has applied for the head coach of men's team. What do you think of him? Also, we wonder why he is often called "Teacher Qin" instead of "Coach Qin".
A: It seems that we all call him "Teacher Qin".
Q: Does he look like a teacher?
A: I don't know why we all call him "Teacher". After the Olympic Games, I have changed everything. But I didn't expect to change my coach! I have changed my racket case and my bag to new ones, almost everything. But changing coach is unexpected. Coach Qin also said he changed those stuffs. I think it is appreciated that Coach Qin applied for the head coach. He has been working so hard these years and what he accomplished undoubtedly shows his ability to take up the position. I am very happy for him. Although he will take care of the whole team instead of me alone, I don't think there is anything to alter our connection.
Q: Since your debut, Coach Qin has been with you for more than ten years. If you look back, when is the most difficult moment for both of you?
A: He is not my first coach but I am his first player as a coach. We have been through a lot these years. At different stage, we faced different competitors. Our ultimate goal is the Olympic champion. Playing in WTTC team events, winning WTTC singles champion, winning World Cup, and every champion was a task for both of us. It is not an easy path.
Q: It is very impressive that Coach Liu Guoliang kissed you after you won the team final in the Olympic Games. Did you two talk about it afterwards?
A: No, we didn't talk about it. I guess he couldn't help it. Chinese usually don't express their feelings emotionally. But we players sometimes are like soldiers and brothers. So he couldn't help expressing the feelings.
Q: What are the roles of Coach Liu at different stages of the past decade of your career?
A: At the beginning, I felt great pressure from him. As a coach, he was extremely strict with me and demanding. At that time, I was not used to it. I am a person of high self-esteem. When he blamed me, sometimes it was hard for me to accept. I thought I had been working very hard but I did not know the reason of not making breakthrough. Gradually I got used to his style as I grew up. With more communications with Coach Qin and Coach Liu, I got better understanding of Coach Liu's aims. Things have changed. Although he is a strict coach on the court, he is rather a friend and an elder brother to me off the court. He plays a dual role as both coach and friend, which makes me more comfortable. There are two big changes of my rackets, both of which were brought up by Coach Liu. I had never thought about changing the rackets. His innovative suggestions are key turning points in my whole career.
Q: After Rio Olympic Games, CNT became very popular. Every player has attracted thousands of fans. What do you think of the crazy fandom? Do you feel bothered?
A: At the beginning, the fans were a little bit crazy and all of a sudden there are a lot of fans clubs. It is natural to feel uneasy by then. During the past half a year, table tennis fans become relatively mild-mannered. They got to know more about our personalities and adjust accordingly. They have minded their manners. I feel quite comfortable about my fans now.
Q: What is your plan for the new Olympic cycle?
A: I will face many difficulties in the new Olympic cycle as I decide to work for Tokyo Olympic Games. The competition from younger players, my injuries, the desire to win... all these pressures are more intense than the past Olympic cycle. I was quite successful in the past Olympic cycle. There are high expectations when I make the decision to continue to play. My fans also have high expectations. In the new Olympic cycle, I need to adapt to these expectations. And I need to communicate with my new coach. These are my new challenges and tasks.
Q: No male CNT player over 30 attended Olympic Games. If you made to Tokyo Olympic Games, you would break the record. What do you think?
A: It does not matter much to "make to" Tokyo Olympic Games. It is more important to have good result in Tokyo. If the result in Tokyo was far below my expectation, I would rather give up the idea of making to Tokyo. What I mean by continuing to play is to try my best to get the best result.
Q: Is the best result two Olympic gold medals?
A: This is the most ideal result. But if I can make to the singles final with my CNT teammate, it is also an acceptable result.

In an interview with Sina Sports a few days ago, Ma Long commented on his coach Qin Zhijian becoming the new head coach of CNT men's team, and the dual role of Liu Guoliang who was the person he once feared most. He also talked about his goal in 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Long was satisfied with his performance yesterday in ATTC team QF. In the post-match interview, he said, "The result is quite acceptable. ATTC is a continental tournament. It is the first match of today. And I am the first one in the team to play. At the beginning, I was a little bit nervous. But that's natural. This is the first time I encountered this opponent. I am pretty satisfied with my performance today."

Full match of Ma Long vs Pak Sin Hyok 3:0

Reactions: fxri and atek2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
After overcoming Liao Cheng-Ting (Chinese Taipei) in the SF of ATTC team event, Ma Long said, "I feel much better in today's match than yesterday's. It is my second match as well as the semifinal. I was well-prepared before the match as my opponent is of good level. I played better and better during the match."
Full match:
Post-match interview:

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Long was challenged by Korea's Jang Woojin in the ATTC team final, but he did not give the opponent too many chances and won by 3:1 (14-12, 4-11, 12-10, 11-3). After the match, Ma Long spoke highly of his opponent:
"The result is quite acceptable. My opponent is of high level. I have expected such a match. In the new Olympic cycle, Team Korea gives the young players more opportunities to play. I have not played with Jang Woojin for many times... only once. In today's match, both of us played with fighting spirits. Although I did not dominate the match, I gained some experiences in adjusting mentality. My opponent fought hard. He plays quite smartly compared to other Korean players, like a CNT player. I find it very interesting to play against him today."
"He is aggressive, in a sense. But I think he is very smart among Korean players. During the match, sometimes it was hard for me to find the proper position at the table. I could not get his next move. The prevailing play style among most foreign players, or among most players in the world, is to be powerful during the rallies. There are much fewer players who rely on skills and ball placement. They are more difficult to play against because we don't have many chances to meet them. In this match, we learned more about Jang Woojin. He will become a major rival of Team China in the future."
Check out the full match:
Post-match interview:

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
This is CNT's 10th consecutive champion (21 in total) and Ma Long's 7th consecutive champion at ATTC team events.

Ma Long wrote in his Sina Weibo, "Go, Team China! Team China is invincible! Thank you for all the efforts to make a good start for the new Olympic cycle and Coach Qin Zhijian's debut as the head coach. The flower bouquet smells good and the medal looks pretty. Keep fighting in the coming matches."
20170412 for ATTC team.jpg
(Oh man, Ma Long always use so many emojis in his post.)

Ma Long has an impressive track record in ATTC events. Besides 7 team champion titles ('05, '07, '09, '11, '13, '15, '17), Ma Long won 3 singles titles ('09, '11, '13), 2 MD titles ('07 with Hao Shuai, '09 with Xu Xin) and 1 XD title ('09 with Li Xiaoxia).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Thank you for letting us know. It is strange as the creator of the video told us yesterday that ITTF Sina Weibo account contacted her directly for permission. However, ITTF did not acknowledge the creator in their youtube channel....

Great job! and thank you for this information.
I've noticed that ITTF has reuploaded your videos "Ma Long Marvellous" without any credit to your channel. It seems strange for me. Do you give the permission to ITTF?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Long defeated PRK's Kang Wi Hun (11-5, 11-3, 11-6) in the round of 64 in ATTC singles event on Apr 13. He was satisfied with his performance:
"I feel I played a little better today compared to previous matches in the team events. This year's ATTC singles events are BO5, which requires the player to focus and devote from the start. My opponent is of good level. He gave Zhang Jike some pressure in the team event. Therefore I was fully prepared before the match. This is the only tournament before WTTC which I can get used to the new (Nittaku) ball. Overall, I feel good about today's match."
(Note: He mentioned previously that Nittaku and DHS ABS balls are not as spiny as old DHS balls.)

Full match:
Post-match interview

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Long suffered a 1:3 defeat to Korea's Jeong Sangeun (9-11, 8-11, 11-6, 6-11) in the round of 32 in ATTC singles event on Apr 14.

This may be the biggest upset of the year as it has been 136 wins and 1659 days since Ma Long's last loss to a player of another association.

From Ma Long's analysis of the match, he seemed to need more time and efforts to get used to the Nittaku balls.
"I did not win the first set when I was leading. The match is BO5. I did not play well when I was trailing 0:1. The change to the new (Nittaku) ball also affected my performance more or less, causing more unforced errors. "
"I had a good start of 3-0 at the beginning of the fourth set. Then the umpire called a fault service, which was ridiculous. I was affected somewhat. Although I told myself 'Don't be affected by it', I did run into some trouble delivering my techniques and tactics of services. Also I had too many unforced errors. "
"I did pay attention to my opponent. He is of good level in Team Korea. I was fully prepared before the match. But I made too many errors during the match and gave him too many chances. I was not able to stop his momentum most of the time, which made him more comfortable."

Post-match interview:

The match video shot by fans will be uploaded shortly.