Ma Long interviews, matches and beyond

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
On Oct 18, Ma Long left Beijing for Leige.
22489888_747919758665935_1669417415286917330_n.jpg

22491994_747919835332594_8687838442950657120_n.jpg

22528109_747919908665920_3928620464098462690_n.jpg

When asked about the preparation for 2017 World Cup in the Li-Ning Sports Star events a few days ago, Ma Long said he likes to be prepared before a tournament as if he were an underdog. He always remains modest as there is an old saying in China: the arrogant loses and the underdog wins.
Li-Ning staff also revealed that Ma Long is not fully recovered from waist and wrist injuries and he still wore waist protector a few days ago. Let's wish him a quick recovery!

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Oct 20th, 2017 is Ma Long's 29th birthday. We wish all his wishes will come true!
During the one year since his last birthday, Ma Long has made so many achievements, set up new records and completed many missions impossible. He has been ranked World #1 for another year, the longest records ever. For the fifth time, he won men's singles title in ITTF World Tour Grand Finals. He successfully defended World Champion title in 2017 WTTC and became the first one in history to successfully defend men's singles title at China National Games. He won Japan Open singles title for the first time and doubles title for the third consecutive time. He is recognized as ITTF Male Table Tennis Star for a second time; Male Athlete of the Year in the 2016 China Top 10 Benefiting Laureus Sports For Good; Best Male Athlete of the Year at the CCTV Sports Personality Awards, the first table tennis player who won this award. As the only table tennis player, his name shows up in 2017 ESPN World Fame 100 and SportsPro World’s 50 Most Marketable 2017.
Ma Long always keeps positive and shares the happy moments with us fans in public. However, we have experienced a few heartbreaking moments, like the injuries revealed by coaches and staff, the upset in Asian Championships, the incident at China Open, etc. It was NOT about win or loss at all; we are worried about his health, about if he blamed himself too much, about if he can still stand on the court that he loves most. Luckily, we have the chance to see him stand by the table and we will always stand by him.
In this video, we highlighted the major achievements in Ma Long's 28th year. Ma Long fans and children who received donations from Ma Long fans also sent their best wishes to Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Ma Longs dress sense is superb. I wonder if he buys his clothes or companies pay him to wear certain stuff??

All Ma Long's Li-Ning clothes and accessories (like the cap in his recent Beijing airport photos) are sponsored by Li-Ning.
For other brands, it is most likely that he buys. At the airport, he wore Dior Homme's jacket and Love Moschino's jeans.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Better oneself and inspire others. This is what Ma Long said and what he did in terms of charity and philanthropy.
On his 28th birthday, he made an a birthday wish to bring table tennis and joy to children in need. He said,
"Every year on my birthday, I receive many wishes and blessings. The year of 27 is so meaningful to me. At Rio Olympic Games, I won the most important champion in my career and completed my dream of grand slam.
Since the first time holding a racket at the age of 5, 23 years with table tennis have passed and I am always happy about it. That's the drive to get where I am today.
Since 2009, my fans 'dragonfruits' have kept sending me a birthday gift each year - they donate table tennis tables to schools in remote rural area. I am very touched and also feel sorry. I have done so little to my fans and to people who need help and care, due to the tight schedule of training and tournaments.
I made a birthday wish this year. In the future, I want more children to enjoy table tennis and enjoy themselves like I do.
Here, I hope you can help me find candidate schools, especially which are full of passion but lack of table tennis equipment in remote rural area. Please send the detailed information of the schools to [email protected]. We will choose 10 schools to make donations.
In the future, I will continue the birthday donation. I hope I can find time to go to those schools and play table tennis with the children."
Within a month, 10 schools were selected and equipment sent.
On his 29th birthday, he shared the happy faces of the children who received the table tennis equipment and will continue the meaning deeds. He said,
"I am playing World Cup in Belgium this birthday. But I haven't forgotten an important thing - the birthday donation.
When table tennis tables arrived at schools of last year's donations, I received many photos from students and teachers. I recalled that one child said, 'The table we received is the same as that in real tournament'. It made my day.
Table tennis table has become part of my life. Today I will spend my birthday with the table as usual. When I face injuries, fatigue and frustrations, you (table tennis table) always cheered me up magically, "Hey buddy, let's have a game." All the prizes that I gained are related to you. And you make more children enjoy the sport, thanks buddy.
Please keep sending the detailed information of the candidate schools to [email protected]. We will choose 10 schools to make donations.
I am grateful for all the help and support during the past year. I will continue to fight for my country and for you."
cache.php

From 2009 to 2015, on Ma Long's birthdays, we, MaLongFamily Fans Club, have donated 12 table tennis tables to 10 schools or institutes in need. With more fans joining us, since this May, we have donated 15 table tennis tables and sports equipment to 12 schools or institutes. On Ma Long's 29th birthday, we made another donation of 8810.20 CNY to Project Hope under his name and two Ma Long sports rooms are under construction in two primary schools in Malong County, Yunnan Province, with a donation of 20000 CNY.
Notably, we are not the only ones who answer Ma Long's call. Other Ma Long fans organizations collaborate with several other charities and foundations to provide fans more ways to donate to children who need help and care. Almost half a million CNY have been raised and spent on good causes within one year. What's more, Ma Long's sponsors like Li-Ning, DHS, SIGG, Audi and other corporations show great interest and support. SIGG has made Ma Long 29th birthday Limited Edition sports water bottle and will donate ¥5 CNY for each bottle sold. Sina Weibo has designed a Weibo background card to promote Ma Long's birthday charity, the first time for an athlete.
22549756_749345751856669_7232743572338037143_n.jpg

We hope more people will join Ma Long to bring the joy of table tennis to more children.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
From Oct 20 to 22, Ma Long competed in 2017 World Cup in Liège. On Oct 21, he defeat Omar Assar by 4:1 (11-5, 7-11, 11-8, 11-8, 11-4) in R16 and beat Koki Niwa by 4:1 (13-11, 11-9, 11-5, 9-11, 11-8) in the quarterfinal. On Oct 22nd, he lost to Timo Boll in the semifinal by 3:4 (5-11, 11-13, 11-9, 9-11, 11-9, 14-12, 13-11). In the decider, he saved two match points but failed the third one unfortunately. In the bronze medal match, he beat Simon Gauzy by 4:2 (11-5, 11-13, 6-11, 11-5, 11-7, 11-9) to finish in third place, the same as his World Cup debut in Liège in 2008.
22552686_750535761737668_8600125313691243633_n.jpg

Coach Wang Hao commented on Ma Long's performance in the World Cup to Xinhua News. "Ma Long is not in the best form. After the China National Games, he did not get enough training due to his injuries. He tried very hard adjusting himself from the first match to the last. But the lack of systematic training had some impact on his performance." He mentioned that the ball was changed again before Asian Cup. Ma Long's play style counts on good control of first-three-ball and he is very sensitive to the ball change. Through this tournament, he found problems with serve return which affected the following tactics. Players feel that the new ball is heavier and the flying speed and trajectory change. That's why they need time to adapt. "More power and bigger movements are required to make spins with the new ball in rallies. For the old ball, 70-80% of the current power is enough." When asked about Timo Boll's comeback in the semifinal, Wang Hao said, "Ma Long lost control of first-three-ball and gave Timo Boll many opportunities. Timo Boll played a lot into Ma Long's forehand side; due to waist injury, Ma Long had to spend more energy to play forehand." "Ma Long reached today's level with his skills, adaptions and experiences. But sometimes matches did not fall into the way as he planned. With certain adjustments, he is still the best player in the world."
Ma Long wore waist protector under his jersey in the semifinal and bronze medal match due to waist injury. He will go to Munich, Germany soon for a 4-week treatment and recovery plan on his wrist injury before surgery is considered. Let's wish all the best to him!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Read 2 reviews
Thanks again for the great post.
These ball changes are really s***, he said in an interview that he played with 6 different balls this year. Like if everything was done to disturb players...
I deeply hope the 4-week treatment will work. I actually start to feel really worried about his health issues, if it gets worse like for ZJK he could fade away sooner than I thought... We need to see him extend his era, get to Tokyo Olympics and complete a 2nd Grand Slam !

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
In an interview with Xiahua News after his last international tournament in 2017, Ma Long felt his overall performance this year satisfactory. Although he has multiple injuries, he refused to use injuries as the excuse for his defeat.
For the result of 2017 World Cup, Ma Long said, "This is sports. No one has 100% certainty to win the champion. I feel a little disappointed, but not as painful as when I was young." He needed to review the matches in terms of the adaption to the new ball and techniques. "I am very sensitive to the type of the balls in use. I haven't fully adapted to the new ball after the China National Games a month ago. I don't have excuses for my defeat. However, I think I have room to improve in adjusting tactics and adapting to the ball."
Learning from the national team, Ma Long has injuries in his wrist, waist and knee. He did not attend systematic training after the National Games due to injuries. "I don't like to talk about injuries. I don't want to whine about injuries every time I attend a tournament. Every athlete has injuries. I don't want the reporters to pay attention to the injuries and report that I win despite of injuries or I lose because of injuries. It is not fair."
When asked about the treatment plan in Germany, he said he still has to communicate with the national team and his Super League club for the best arrangement. It has not been finalized yet.
Ma Long reviewed his performance in 2017, "I am quite satisfied with my overall performance. I won two ITTF World Tour titles, World Champion and China National Games Champion. At the beginning of the year, I was hoping to win one champion at 2017 WTTC and China National Games. Either one would be satisfactory because the competition was so intense. I did not expect to win both in addition to two ITTF World Tours. I am very happy. World Cup is my last tournament. It is a pity that I did not win but I tried my best."
According to Tecent Sports, Ma Long dropped 3 kg during 10 days of China National Games; he could not get good sleep and kept planning his matches and his teammates' matches. He got one injection on wrist before and one injection after China National Games. His waist injury got worse before World Cup and he had to stop technical training for one week. His only 29th birthday wish is "good health".
What a true sportsman and what an accomplished year! And we wish your wish will come true!
22554932_750738015050776_712334004642320290_n.jpg

22730438_750738091717435_3625464946861952143_n.jpg

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Bear in mind that tbe CNT has had access to D40+ balls longer than anyone else. ML played flawlessly at WTTC with a very similar ABS ball.

Injury I can believe, especially to his wrist. It would explain pretty much every issue he had. I consider that to be a very legit reason and I strongly suspect it. D40+ ball as an excuse? I'm not buying that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michal_Z
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Bear in mind that tbe CNT has had access to D40+ balls longer than anyone else. ML played flawlessly at WTTC with a very similar ABS ball.

Injury I can believe, especially to his wrist. It would explain pretty much every issue he had. I consider that to be a very legit reason and I strongly suspect it. D40+ ball as an excuse? I'm not buying that.

Both Coach Wang Hao and Ma Long mentioned the impact of ball change and that he is very sensitive to the subtle change of the ball. Coach Wang Hao also pointed out the impact of his waist injury.
As we see from his performance this year, a great start at Qatar Open in Feb with DHS (old ball); ranked #2 at Marvellous 12 Trials in Mar with Nittaku 40+ (later it turned out to be an OEM; sudden waist injury); shocking defeat to Jeong Sangeun at Asian Championships in Apr with Nittaku 40+ (the same as that in World Championships); victory at World Championships in Jun with Nittaku 40+ (with hip joint/elbow/wrist/ankle injuries); victory at Japan Open in June with DHS D40+; victory at China National Games in Sep with 729 seamless (with wrist/waist/knee injuries); defeat to Timo Boll at World Cup with DHS D40+ (according to Wang Hao, it is different from that in Japan Open; with wrist/waist/knee injuries). It is said that the practice balls in the national team are mostly 2-star instead of 3-star; although we hope this will not be the case.

We feel ball change and injuries are both important factors for his many unforced errors during World Cup and even in earlier victories. However, Ma Long himself does not like to use injuries as the excuse for the loss and considers adapting to the ball change as the major task in the future. This may be his positive way of thinking and how he sees his weakness to improve himself. As a perfectionist, he mentioned several times in interviews after Rio Olympic Games that he still has potentials to improve. Let's have faith in him.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Chinese coaches are quick to blame balls on rare occasions when their players lose. They whine like little girls. (Maybe they are worried about their job security).

I do not buy this excuse for 1 second. I find it ridiculous.

It is far more likely that injuries have reduced his ability to train recently. There is no shame in that. I hope he is better soon. I am a Ma Long fan too.

Last edited:
Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
I would distinguish between match autopsy/analysis and publicly given reasons for losses.

In the case of match autopsy/analysis done by a knowledgeable coach, I think that all possible explanatory factors for a loss should be considered and appropriately weighted. This process should be done with as little influence as possible from biasing influences, like the optics of attributing a loss to a certain factor.

The realm of publicly given reasons for losses is completely different. It is arguably not an attempt to understand a match at all but rather a matter of ritual and ceremony, like a post-match handshake. Giving certain reasons (like injury) for losses violates this ceremonial understanding, much as refusing to shake an opponent's hand is interpreted as an insult. In the public sphere, at least in the West, the only acceptable to give for a defeat is to say "my opponent played better than me," which of course is so imprecise that it has no explanatory power at all. Perhaps the best thing I can say about these norms of public expression is that the reasons for a win or loss are often so complex and involve so many factors that saying "my opponent played better" might be better than being tempted to choose a self-serving explanation out of the constellation of possible factors for a win or loss.

I wonder if some of us are interpreting the Chinese coach's comments through the wrong lens here. It seems logical to me that subtle changes in variables like ball weight, bounce, etc. would have a larger impact on players who rely on touch to win. Whether it is reasonable to give much explanatory weight to that factor is another question. But I would guess that norms of public explanation/excuse-giving for losses are significantly different in China, and I would also guess that Wang Hao thinks of his comments as dispassionate analysis of the match outcome rather than an attempt to delegitimize Timo's win.

Reactions: Baal
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I would distinguish between match autopsy/analysis and publicly given reasons for losses.

In the case of match autopsy/analysis done by a knowledgeable coach, I think that all possible explanatory factors for a loss should be considered and appropriately weighted. This process should be done with as little influence as possible from biasing influences, like the optics of attributing a loss to a certain factor.

The realm of publicly given reasons for losses is completely different. It is arguably not an attempt to understand a match at all but rather a matter of ritual and ceremony, like a post-match handshake. Giving certain reasons (like injury) for losses violates this ceremonial understanding, much as refusing to shake an opponent's hand is interpreted as an insult. In the public sphere, at least in the West, the only acceptable to give for a defeat is to say "my opponent played better than me," which of course is so imprecise that it has no explanatory power at all. Perhaps the best thing I can say about these norms of public expression is that the reasons for a win or loss are often so complex and involve so many factors that saying "my opponent played better" might be better than being tempted to choose a self-serving explanation out of the constellation of possible factors for a win or loss.

I wonder if some of us are interpreting the Chinese coach's comments through the wrong lens here. It seems logical to me that subtle changes in variables like ball weight, bounce, etc. would have a larger impact on players who rely on touch to win. Whether it is reasonable to give much explanatory weight to that factor is another question. But I would guess that norms of public explanation/excuse-giving for losses are significantly different in China, and I would also guess that Wang Hao thinks of his comments as dispassionate analysis of the match outcome rather than an attempt to delegitimize Timo's win.

Yes, but I would add to this that all statements have to be interpreted in light of the intended audience, and some if not most of what Chinese coaches have been reported to say is not intended for people like us, rather it is intended for the Chinese public who may not play much (and maybe the higher ups in the GSA).

Also, the idea that Ma Long relies more on touch than Timo Boll strikes me as quite wrong (both players have incredible touch, actually Ma Long is close to flawless in every aspect of the game, but not in his last match).

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I'm with Baal here. Ma Long didn't look comfortable in his own body, which is a major factor for him losing. The most agile and perhaps quickest player on the planet not being able to play the way he needs to dominate, he actually looked a bit lost sometimes against Timo. All those strokes that completely missed the ball, that is NOT Ma Long. That had nothing to do with Timo playing well.

Chinese coaches are quick to blame balls on rare occasions when their players lose. They whine like little girls. (Maybe they are worried about their job security).

I do not buy this excuse for 1 second. I find it ridiculous.

It is far more likely that injuries have reduced his ability to train recently. There is no shame in that. I hope he is better soon. I am a Ma Long fan too.

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
On Oct 25th, Tianjin Quanjian club announced that Ma Long will join Tianjin for 2017 China Table Tennis Super League (2017/10/31-2018/2/10).
According to head coach of Tianjin Quanjian, two-time World Cup holder, Ma Wenge, Tianjin acquired Ma Long for a one-year lease with the financial support of the new sponsor Quanjian, who was the title sponsor of 2015 Super League. Ma Long will return to Shandong Weiqiao club next year.
The home stadium of Tianjin Quanjian club is the stadium for the 13th China National Games where Ma Long became the first player in history to win men's singles title twice consecutively.
22788879_752439984880579_6164239382649557359_n.jpg

22851946_752439938213917_1917996144032566441_n.jpg

The first round of Super League will take place on Oct 31. Tianjin Quanjian will meet Shandong Weiqiao, Ma Long's former club.